Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

Do you want Freeze to stay or go?

I want him to stay
49%
I want him to go
22%
I don't care either way
29%
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
If Auburn isn’t on the table, I think it might be easier for everyone if he still took another job. He’s got a real uphill battle to get the locker room back and what recruits are going to sign on for four years here when coach has one foot out the door?
By Ill flame
If the school that has no issues with Bruce Pearl of all people doesn't want him then there is nowhere else for him to go, unless he takes a pay cut to go to a bottom tier P5. If he doesn't leave this time he'll be here awhile imo.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Yes.

I’m glad for one reason if he does stay that this has happened: maybe now people will stop judging him for sainthood. It’s the same argument about Trump. I’m not looking for a preacher, just a football coach.
By Racenut
Registration Days Posts
1000x's yes!

Those who think otherwise are really clueless and don't understand at all what this program has accomplished over the last four years. From getting our arse kicked by Presbyterian to here, seriously?
LUOrange liked this
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Racenut wrote: November 28th, 2022, 1:32 am 1000x's yes!

Those who think otherwise are really clueless and don't understand at all what this program has accomplished over the last four years. From getting our arse kicked by Presbyterian to here, seriously?
We did almost find a way to lose to Gardner-Webb. So that argument isn’t as strong as it first seems.
Purple Haize liked this
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: November 28th, 2022, 1:52 am
Racenut wrote: November 28th, 2022, 1:32 am 1000x's yes!

We did almost find a way to lose to Gardner-Webb. So that argument isn’t as strong as it first seems.
Yes, and we just got pummelled by NMST at home. We're an FBS school now with the highest paid G5 coach. A lot of our growth has been Hugh Freeze, but a lot of it has been due to the situation we were in (transitioning to FBS). Of course Freeze sped up the growth, but I wouldn't say it's solely because of Freeze.

My other thought is, what got us here won't necessarily get us there. Freeze seems to lack motivation against lesser opponents, which will likely be 90% of our games going forward. We will have the budget to get a great coach if he leaves that hopefully is better at focusing a team to consistently/convincingly beat inferior competition.

Lastly, the situation is different now. We're not sure if the team wants him back or can get over this. Will recruits trust him? To not acknowledge that the situation is different now is quite silly, IMO. Combine that with the fact that we are now effectively a C-USA team, I'm not sure he's the best guy going forward.
rtb72 liked this
By LUOrange
I want him to stay. However, I can't fault him for chasing his dreams. For the life of me, I don't understand how so many of you/Liberty fans are shocked and upset that he's trying to go to Auburn or any other SEC school for that matter. Auburn (even if it's a cess pool) and even Vandy are clearly a better job than us right now and into the distant future. It is what it is. And don't give me this "He TaNkEd ThE lAsT 3 GaMeS" nonsense, when many of you were claiming the Boys gave up after being Bowl eligible. It's pretty clear the leaker of the negotiations was trying to sabotage his hiring at Auburn and it killed everything for the Team vs. NMSU. If he leaves, I'll cheer for Auburn after Liberty and my Orangemen. If he stays, I'll be ecstatic and our Boys will be fine, cause their professionals and this is D1 football.
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
yes. Why would we want a great coach to go somewhere else? He's an elite coach and will get mentioned for every big position that opens. That's not a bad thing for Liberty. Will he leave one day? yes. But, let's hold on to him as long as we can.
ballcoach15, LUOrange liked this
By BlueBlood
LUOrange wrote: November 28th, 2022, 10:40 am For the life of me, I don't understand how so many of you/Liberty fans are shocked and upset that he's trying to go to Auburn or any other SEC school for that matter.
I don't think most LU fans are shocked at all. Honestly, a lot of us thought he might leave earlier than this.

Mostly, there is frustration over the performance the last three weeks - which just happens to coincide with the time he was talking to Auburn. Was his distraction the only factor that led to three losses? I'm sure it wasn't, but it's a really bad look nonetheless.

Then, if he doesn't go to Auburn, you are left with a coach that has signaled he no longer wants to be here - but he still is. Thats a really big turd to unclog.

I love what HF did for LU. It was a fun ride. I think it was mutually beneficial. I will root for him to succeed wherever he goes.
stokesjokes, LU 57, Kricket liked this
By LUOrange
BlueBlood wrote: November 28th, 2022, 11:40 am
LUOrange wrote: November 28th, 2022, 10:40 am For the life of me, I don't understand how so many of you/Liberty fans are shocked and upset that he's trying to go to Auburn or any other SEC school for that matter.
I don't think most LU fans are shocked at all. Honestly, a lot of us thought he might leave earlier than this.

Mostly, there is frustration over the performance the last three weeks - which just happens to coincide with the time he was talking to Auburn. Was his distraction the only factor that led to three losses? I'm sure it wasn't, but it's a really bad look nonetheless.

Then, if he doesn't go to Auburn, you are left with a coach that has signaled he no longer wants to be here - but he still is. Thats a really big turd to unclog.

I love what HF did for LU. It was a fun ride. I think it was mutually beneficial. I will root for him to succeed wherever he goes.
NMSU is the obvious outlier. All of our other 3 losses were decided by 5points, with questionable calls made by Freeze which fits and matches his M.O. Wake is/was a solid team. UConn is much improved due to their Coach and the portal. Most of y'all didn't give Tech, an ACC team, the credit they were due. The losses were frustrating, but use some logic not emotion.

We constantly say that we should be better. Yet most of our fanbase is acting like any other fanbase. Let's be better and think things through.
Just John, jmclaughlin liked this
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Nope, but i am also realistic and if he doesn't go to Auburn (which it is looking more and more likely that he will in fact be going) then he will be back. So it doesn't actually matter what I think.
Kricket liked this
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:Nope, but i am also realistic and if he doesn't go to Auburn (which it is looking more and more likely that he will in fact be going) then he will be back. So it doesn't actually matter what I think.
But I care what you think, which is why I asked! :wink:

If I understand this correctly, starting July 1st,[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

That might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen per[…]

North Carolina

We had a runner on base in the bottom of the 7th i[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

I saw 3 of our prospects at Convo this morning. Ji[…]