Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By lueer
Registration Days Posts
Wow. That’s not an impressive showing.

2 bad losses to two below average teams in back to back weeks.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Silver lining, we now know HF isn't going anywhere this year. That can be put to rest with the pathetic showing the past couple of weeks.
Tnobes liked this
By Tnobes
What could have been a special historic season turned into a dud real quick. Highly disappointing season. Should be 10-1 heading into a 11-1 regular season with a chance at 12 wins. There's always next year.
Last edited by Tnobes on November 19th, 2022, 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Ill flame
Defense did their part. We need a qb that can hold onto the football and some help on the OL through the portal.
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
I love this team, I am thankful for what HCHF has done to get us to where we are. BUT, I am officially upset about how the season has ended. His play-calling the last two weeks has been so-so at best and he has been outcoached by less talented coaches. I still believe we win 10 games but 2 straight years of taking gas in the month of November really sucks.
By aredd33
Registration Days Posts
Shouldn’t we have let them score as fast as possible after the turnover?
The extra point makes it an 8 point game. If they go for 2 to make it 9 and win then so be it.
By Tnobes
Auburn is not hiring him based on John Cohen being the AD alone. That working relationship would be super awkward
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
Typical Liberty.

Every year we stop playing football in November.
By rmiller1959
Registration Days Posts
I should be amazed that we are 8-3 given our QB situation but they raised the bar after beating BYU and Arkansas. It was not unreasonable to think we would run the table.
Liberty22 liked this
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
We’re highly overrated. We struggled against A QBless Southern Miss, Akron, and Gardner Webb. This whole season Freeze has been making questionable decisions. This is nothing new with the play calling today. I don’t know how many times I’ve heard him say that “He needs to coach better” in his press conferences.
lueer, LibertyD liked this
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
aredd33 wrote: November 19th, 2022, 4:14 pm Shouldn’t we have let them score as fast as possible after the turnover?
The extra point makes it an 8 point game. If they go for 2 to make it 9 and win then so be it.
We only did it half-way, which was the worst possible scenario. Let them get a first down easily but stopped them before the TD. There was enough time to get the ball back if we didn’t let them get a first down. Really mis-managed the entirety of the 4th quarter.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
ballah09 wrote: November 19th, 2022, 4:36 pm We’re highly overrated. We struggled against A QBless Southern Miss, Akron, and Gardner Webb. This whole season Freeze has been making questionable decisions. This is nothing new with the play calling today. I don’t know how many times I’ve heard him say that “He needs to coach better” in his press conferences.
All he needs to do to coach better is punt on 4th down
By Tnobes
To not be a total downer it is nice that a potential 10 win season can be considered a disappointment, it shows how far this program has come. For my Gophers a 9 or 10 win season is a dream season
Ill flame, AATL liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
We HAVE a good QB. Not flashy. Not a Heisman Candidate. Not someone who is going to go down in the record books. But a serviceable QB who guided LU to 2 of its biggest victories in school history. He will get the job done he’s proven it. I don’t for the life of me understand why he got yanked this game. It made absolutely 0 sense. IMO that was the difference
By Ill flame
I know last year we lost games down the stretch because of our lack of depth. This year we really need more depth but I'm not sure that's the reason we are losing games. It seems like we just get bowl eligible and lose motivation. We clearly slept through half the uconn game and we didn't look particularly motivated today. Virginia Tech might mean a lot to local LU fans but only a few of our 2 deep is from Virginia so this game probably means the least compared to our other P5 games this year. I really hope being in a conference fixes this problem.
By rmiller1959
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: November 19th, 2022, 5:18 pm We HAVE a good QB. Not flashy. Not a Heisman Candidate. Not someone who is going to go down in the record books. But a serviceable QB who guided LU to 2 of its biggest victories in school history. He will get the job done he’s proven it. I don’t for the life of me understand why he got yanked this game. It made absolutely 0 sense. IMO that was the difference
Coach Freeze said they weren't doing a good job of protecting Bennett and he went with the more mobile QB. Salter was moving the offense toward a potential TD and a two-score game. He fumbled at a most inopportune moment - not that fumbles ever happen at an opportune moment!
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
rmiller1959 wrote: November 19th, 2022, 5:23 pm
Purple Haize wrote: November 19th, 2022, 5:18 pm We HAVE a good QB. Not flashy. Not a Heisman Candidate. Not someone who is going to go down in the record books. But a serviceable QB who guided LU to 2 of its biggest victories in school history. He will get the job done he’s proven it. I don’t for the life of me understand why he got yanked this game. It made absolutely 0 sense. IMO that was the difference
Coach Freeze said they weren't doing a good job of protecting Bennett and he went with the more mobile QB. Salter was moving the offense toward a potential TD and a two-score game. He fumbled at a most inopportune moment - not that fumbles ever happen at an opportune moment!
And he short armed a coupled throws, missed receivers etc.
He’s right, they did a poor job protecting the QB. But JB had some good run. Made good decisions. He made some nice 3-5 yard runs which is fine. Again, nothing fancy, just efficient and getting the job done. Salter absolutely has the potential to break one open But he has demonstrated a consistency needed to take over….yet.
By LibertyD
ballah09 wrote: November 19th, 2022, 4:36 pm We’re highly overrated. We struggled against A QBless Southern Miss, Akron, and Gardner Webb. This whole season Freeze has been making questionable decisions. This is nothing new with the play calling today. I don’t know how many times I’ve heard him say that “He needs to coach better” in his press conferences.
Absolutely. Wake, UCONN and VT should have been victories if not for bad play calling. But this was the worst yet. 4th and 12, 45 yard line, qb sacked twice, 4:30 minutes remaining, down by 1pt. What should you do??? EXACTLY!!! Enough said…
By jmclaughlin
The Flames are 11-0 at playing to the level of our competition this season.
Baybird liked this
By willflop
The D held VT to 324 yards and 3.0 YPC.

Sure, just one more critical stop and the D could have won this for us. But with a TOP 36:19 to 23:41 deficit, and the two turn overs, this is another loss squarely on the O's shoulders. Again, shouldn't be surprising, 20 point games...it's what we do. And we had to reach deep with a kick 6 and safety to make it this time. Sad way to end it. A lot of folks have had this season, and this game in particular, circled for 5 years. But that's football. CUSA here we come.
Ill flame liked this
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: November 19th, 2022, 5:32 pm
rmiller1959 wrote: November 19th, 2022, 5:23 pm
And he short armed a coupled throws, missed receivers etc.
He’s right, they did a poor job protecting the QB. But JB had some good run. Made good decisions. He made some nice 3-5 yard runs which is fine. Again, nothing fancy, just efficient and getting the job done. Salter absolutely has the potential to break one open But he has demonstrated a consistency needed to take over….yet.
Freeze is just overthinking. I also wonder if he’s trying to get Salter in for developmental minutes.
By jimflamesfan
Registration Days Posts
A couple of positives. The students and the fans showed up for the most part. I think LU had a fair majority of the fans.

Second...just seven years ago...we went to Virginia Tech and lost 33-15 and most were kindof happy...it was a moral victory just to keep it close.

Just 7 years later and we lose by one and the fans are upset. I was upset as well. But it just shows you how far we have come.

I do think losing Dae Dae really hurts us. Shedro did great...but he's more of an outside back.

I'm okay with Freeze's gambling...sometimes you win...sometimes you lose...Normally I don't feel like this...but when it was 3rd and like 12 in the fourth quarter from Tech's 39..I was really hoping they just ran it...even if we got just 3 yards...it would've been a 53 yard fg and our kicker hit one from 47 that looked like it would have been good from 60..our kicker was playing so well the last 3 games...I just feel like he would've nailed it and Tech would've choked.
LUOrange, AATL liked this
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]