Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Ill flame
jmclaughlin wrote: November 19th, 2022, 5:36 pm The Flames are 11-0 at playing to the level of our competition this season.
Bring on Georgia! At least we would look great in defeat... or at least better than Tennessee.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
lueer wrote: November 19th, 2022, 4:12 pm Wow. That’s not an impressive showing.

2 bad losses to two below average teams in back to back weeks.
LU is a below average team at the moment.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Liberty22 wrote: November 19th, 2022, 4:14 pm I guess this means we’re not the best team in the state anymore
You think a 3-8 team is the best team in the state??? :dontgetit
By tyndal23
We lost by 1 point to a P5 team. Cry me a river...Amazing how the same peeps calling me an idiot for Tyndal23 Plan 3 years ago are whining...amazing how expectations and perceptions have changed. Well don’t worry about it, you won’t have to face another P5 for half a decade.
LUOrange, TH Spangler liked this
By jmclaughlin
Can someone tell me, what is the scoop with Brewer? Is it just too late in the season to give the reigns to a guy who is done after this year? Or is he just not right? Just seems that the QB play has been the drag all season that he would have gotten a shot today, if healthy.
Probably inconsequential at this point. We need to give Salter the #1 here on out.
LUOrange liked this
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
There is an old saying that goes something like this:

If you have more than one QB, you have no QB. Unfortunately, since Brewer's injury no one has stepped up with any consistency, to make us effective at QB.
We are going to face the same problem next year, unless we find another body, or someone on the current roster improves 100%. I don't see the latter happening, but we can hope.
jmclaughlin liked this
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote: November 19th, 2022, 8:25 pm
Liberty22 wrote: November 19th, 2022, 4:14 pm I guess this means we’re not the best team in the state anymore
You think a 3-8 team is the best team in the state??? :dontgetit
Well you certainly can’t claim to be “the best in the state” when you lose a head to head matchup with an in-state opponent can you…
By AATL
Stick this one in the trash.
Get healthy, have a get-right game next week, and enjoy a bowl. I'm really looking forward to watching a (still very young) Kaidon Salter settle in and mature as a signal caller in pursuit of a conference championship next year.
jmclaughlin liked this
By jmclaughlin
Tough weekend for LU sports
Saw the LU Vball team just lost in 3 sets in the ASUN final
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
2 things have come to mind this evening. #1 - Some on social media are calling for McCaw to fire HCHF after these back-to-back losses. To those people, I say stop it! Yes losing to UCONN & Tech stinks. It is still not like losing to G-W, Presbyterian, NM State in year 1 of FBS or ULM last year. I am really disappointed that we lost but I am still pumped that we beat BYU & Arkansas. Where were we just 5 to 6 seasons ago? We were finishing with a 6-6 record in Gill's last season and in our last FCS season we finished 6-5. So please, stop calling for HCHF to be fired as that is irrational. #2 - By beating NM State & winning our bowl game we see our boys get to 10 wins again. This would mark the third time in school history that we won 10 games and the second time in a 3-year span. Couple that with being a total of 5 points away from an undefeated season and how then how does it sound? A season so many fans would give millions of dollars for. Just ask Auburn, Nebraska, & Texas A&M if they would trade their seasons for that one.

#GoFlames
jmclaughlin, rtb72, LUOrange liked this
By Ill flame
jmclaughlin wrote: November 19th, 2022, 9:26 pm Can someone tell me, what is the scoop with Brewer? Is it just too late in the season to give the reigns to a guy who is done after this year? Or is he just not right? Just seems that the QB play has been the drag all season that he would have gotten a shot today, if healthy.
Probably inconsequential at this point. We need to give Salter the #1 here on out.
According to the last update I saw about brewer he is turning the ball over too much in practice.
By Ill flame
tyndal23 wrote: November 19th, 2022, 9:08 pm We lost by 1 point to a P5 team. Cry me a river...Amazing how the same peeps calling me an idiot for Tyndal23 Plan 3 years ago are whining...amazing how expectations and perceptions have changed. Well don’t worry about it, you won’t have to face another P5 for half a decade.
I might regret asking this but with all of the changes in the cfp landscape over the last 3 years do you still think your plan is the best way forward?
By aredd33
Registration Days Posts
I think the last 2 weeks have taught us a few things.
1-it’s truly amazing we were ever 8-1 with our injuries and QB situation.
2-being 8-1 was fools gold. We were never really that good and if we don’t play very close to our best game we likely won’t win.
3-this program/fan base is not where we (or at least me…I won’t throw everyone in with me on this) thought. We played an instate power 5 school with a huge local fan base and couldn’t sell out our stadium. We are years and years away from selling 25ish thousand tickets to Louisiana Tech and Kennesaw State.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
aredd33 wrote: November 19th, 2022, 11:31 pm
3-this program/fan base is not where we (or at least me…I won’t throw everyone in with me on this) thought. We played an instate power 5 school with a huge local fan base and couldn’t sell out our stadium. We are years and years away from selling 25ish thousand tickets to Louisiana Tech and Kennesaw State.
This. All day long. This. This is why I was elected Potentate so I’m glad someone else is seeing this as well
The LU fan base is nowhere near ready for P5 or the laughable P5 Equivalent. There were tons of Tech fans there. If you took out the students (kudos to those who showed up) I would not be surprised if it was 50/50 Tech LU fans. There were also a TON of BYU fans there for their game. LU fans need to get their act in gear. While some of it has to do with the Flames Club and Tickets the fact that VT did not sell out should be a wake up call. Now imagine if this team was 4-6 going into today. Imagine what the stands would look like. LU needs to work on building its butts in seats and eyes on screens.
Ill flame, Baybird, rtb72 liked this
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Some might argue that losing Dae Dae hurt us worse than losing Brewer. Our last 2 losses were without Dae Dae, and the UConn loss was without Dae Dae AND Shedro.

In the post game presser, Freeze made 2 important statements:
1. Our offense isn't as balanced without Dae Dae.
2. He made need to decide on one QB for the NMSU game.
Sly Fox, Just John liked this
By tyndal23
Purple Haize wrote: November 19th, 2022, 11:37 pm
aredd33 wrote: November 19th, 2022, 11:31 pm
This. All day long. This. This is why I was elected Potentate so I’m glad someone else is seeing this as well
The LU fan base is nowhere near ready for P5 or the laughable P5 Equivalent. There were tons of Tech fans there. If you took out the students (kudos to those who showed up) I would not be surprised if it was 50/50 Tech LU fans. There were also a TON of BYU fans there for their game. LU fans need to get their act in gear. While some of it has to do with the Flames Club and Tickets the fact that VT did not sell out should be a wake up call. Now imagine if this team was 4-6 going into today. Imagine what the stands would look like. LU needs to work on building its butts in seats and eyes on screens.
Laughable P5 Equivalent ? Once again PH - let’s see all the eyeballs and butts in seats when we play zero P5 teams in five years ( even away games ) and have MTSU, FIU, UTEP come to visit on a Wednesday night...no one ever said we were were “P5 ready” or “ equivalent” - simply fastest way to being there is by using our resources to fast track completely around G5 “ Model” when G5 Conferences have even more prejudices against us than P5 and our home crowd is limited due to geography of our student body, local bias of Lynchburg and very weak TV Market. Now our only route is undefeated seasons in CUSA and pray the 4 better G5 Conferences have 1-2 loss champions for next 5 years. The downside of that “model” is decreasing home fan base ( I would say 10 percent a year but probably more ) Frankly, I don’t see LU hitting 20k in attendance next 5 years. But - it is what it is, and I will continue to promote best ideas to enhance LU home games to be as TV attractive as possible - aka enhance the south entrance and create a lighting ceremony and have best entrance in CFB.

FYI - I tuned in Briefly to all CUSA games this week to see attendance - gross
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote: November 20th, 2022, 1:15 am Some might argue that losing Dae Dae hurt us worse than losing Brewer. Our last 2 losses were without Dae Dae, and the UConn loss was without Dae Dae AND Shedro.

He needed to stick with one QB for the Tech game. But we all make mistakes. Salter had his chance to step up and didn’t.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote: November 20th, 2022, 1:15 am Some might argue that losing Dae Dae hurt us worse than losing Brewer. Our last 2 losses were without Dae Dae, and the UConn loss was without Dae Dae AND Shedro.

As Giants fan, I'd say that Rashad Jennings was doubly special for me. However, Dae Dae reminds me more of Ahmad Bradshaw with maybe a little more speed and balance. Tough as nails, dependable, and the hardest runner I've ever seen. That's how I view Dae Dae...he's got that extra gear when it comes to pure grit, raw determination....and simply refuses to be tackled.
Chippy, rtb72, LUOrange liked this
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
It’s tough to sit back and be objective when it’s the team you’re invested as a fan in. After a day has passed and looking at the rest of the scores around college football, every fan base outside of GA, TCU, OSU and I guess Michigan though they squeaked one out, is going to experience what we have the last two weeks. Look at Arkansas. They felt what we’re feeling after losing to us, and now they’re ecstatic after beating Ole Miss (but probably disappointed in their losses and what could have been). We’re all super disappointed but man still a special season a ton of schools fanbases would kill to have. Outside of 1-2 schools every year, every fan base and team will go through this. That’s just football. So I’m going to try and continue to enjoy the next few weeks, knowing it could have been even more special, but recognizing it’s still a great season.
flamehunter, AATL liked this
By LUDad
paradox wrote: November 20th, 2022, 11:44 am

As Giants fan, I'd say that Rashad Jennings was doubly special for me. However, Dae Dae reminds me more of Ahmad Bradshaw with maybe a little more speed and balance. Tough as nails, dependable, and the hardest runner I've ever seen. That's how I view Dae Dae...he's got that extra gear when it comes to pure grit, raw determination....and simply refuses to be tackled.
What excites me is that he stated he is going to work on putting on weight. Imagine him with 15-20 lbs of more muscle for next year without losing that extra gear.
By rtb72
FlamesHighontheTide wrote: November 19th, 2022, 11:02 pm 2 things have come to mind this evening. #1 - Some on social media are calling for McCaw to fire HCHF after these back-to-back losses. To those people, I say stop it! Yes losing to UCONN & Tech stinks. It is still not like losing to G-W, Presbyterian, NM State in year 1 of FBS or ULM last year. I am really disappointed that we lost but I am still pumped that we beat BYU & Arkansas. Where were we just 5 to 6 seasons ago? We were finishing with a 6-6 record in Gill's last season and in our last FCS season we finished 6-5. So please, stop calling for HCHF to be fired as that is irrational. #2 - By beating NM State & winning our bowl game we see our boys get to 10 wins again. This would mark the third time in school history that we won 10 games and the second time in a 3-year span. Couple that with being a total of 5 points away from an undefeated season and how then how does it sound? A season so many fans would give millions of dollars for. Just ask Auburn, Nebraska, & Texas A&M if they would trade their seasons for that one.

#GoFlames
By LUOrange
1. The fire McCaw and/or Freeze guys on Twitter and Facebook are morons.
2. Overall, I had no problem with the game Freeze called vs Tech. I do wonder why we didn't run more and why Green didn't get more carries after the game he had last week. I, also didn't mind him pulling JB for Salter. JB wasn't moving the ball and Salter was. Freeze's lone bad call was putting JB back in at the end cause I don't have any faith that JB can run an effective 2 minute offense with the game on the line. I love and appreciate JB, but he's streaky and inconsistent. I fully expect Salter to be QB1 next year anyway.
3. I don't think it'll matter which QB plays vs. NMSU. Honestly, I'd love for Brewer to get the start and the whole game.
4. I was disappointed that we didn't have 25K+ for Tech or BYU. But from my vantage point, I thought we still greatly outnumbered Tech fans, although there were a lot of UVA shirts on too. I wish the Bill would consistently look like it did yesterday though. We need to be working on our local and regional fanbase and I'm sorry, we may be hurting ourselves with these mid-week games. I'll also add that Truist Field was practically empty for the Wake-Cuse game, so maybe give most of our fans a break.
ballcoach15, Liberty22 liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Anyone calling for Coach Freeze to be fired, should be fired themselves. If Coach Freeze were to leave, where would we find a better Coach ? We have 1 of the 3 best Coaches in America. Granted, with 3 breaks going our way, we'd be undefeated and probably ranked in Top 10. But despite 3 losses we stll should finish season with more wins than majority of D1 teams.
JK37, Ill flame, flamehunter and 4 others liked this
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]