Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By LUDad
I think LU should consider grass over turf fields. I believe over time that we could significantly reduce wear & tear on joints & injury (especially non-contact injuries). Especially since many players no longer wear knee pads. I realize fields would require more maintance but I believe it would be worth it.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
First off, turf is grass. Artificial turf is what I suspect you are referencing.

The newer artificial surfaces are reducing those injuries. Each new surface has its own dynamics and it is getting tougher to keep up with the new features. Suffice it to say that all artificial turf surfaces are not created equal.

I am just glad we got away from the shiny stuff a decade ago that looked so awful on TV.
By LUOrange
Not sure what we have, but the stuff the outdoor practice field has is pretty soft to walk on at least. Not sure what UConn had, but several of our guys were slipping on it, which cost us yards.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
LUOrange wrote: November 15th, 2022, 3:16 pm Not sure what we have, but the stuff the outdoor practice field has is pretty soft to walk on at least. Not sure what UConn had, but several of our guys were slipping on it, which cost us yards.
Grass.
By tyndal23
LUOrange wrote: November 15th, 2022, 3:16 pm Not sure what we have, but the stuff the outdoor practice field has is pretty soft to walk on at least. Not sure what UConn had, but several of our guys were slipping on it, which cost us yards.
I noticed that as well, felt like we didn’t have the right cleats...
By tyndal23
tyndal23 wrote: November 15th, 2022, 4:39 pm
I noticed that as well, felt like we didn’t have the right cleats...
Also think we need a grass practice field - all major programs have one - the feel and speed is different and need to practice on grass during camp and weeks you go on road to play on a grass field.
LUOrange liked this
By Ill flame
I understand the benefits of turf and think it's necessary for the baseball and softball fields since it rains so much in the spring but there's no reason why Liberty can't maintain a high quality grass field for a fall sport. This isn't Minnesota where they are playing in snow during November. The weather in Virginia is mild enough to maintain grass throughout the season.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I hear you but fall rain is regular thing and artificial turf fields are typically the best to drain.

My best friend works for Hellas and their product just got dropped into the new stadiums in Los Angeles & Las Vegas. It is not the type that is supposedly causing the injuries referenced in the article above.
Election 2022 and 2024

Professional protestors? Let me guess funded by […]

Uh… You guys like reading?

I try to alternate non-fiction with fiction and […]

Wondering if you have looked into catching the n[…]

Expect it when you least expect it. Studying it is[…]