Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
FlamesHighontheTide wrote: November 12th, 2022, 5:15 pm Incredible that we beat both BYU & Arkansas then lose to UCONN & yet still have a good shot at 10+ wins. I am beyond frustrated with how the game turned out, but I can only imagine how the players are feeling as well as the coaches. Beat the chokie hokies then slaughter NM State and we get to 10 wins for the second time in 3 years.
Va Tech is due. They've lost some close ones. I don't feel good about next week. That's why we needed this one.
By Ill flame
With all the games we won this year that we shouldn't have I'm not even going to get mad about this one. I just hope the team learns from it and keeps moving forward. We have two very winnable games at home. I just hope we win those and finish the regular season 10-2. With the amount of talent we lost last year I thought 9 wins was going to be our ceiling with 7-8 wins being the most likely outcome. I'm just hoping to be proven wrong yet again. We need to keep stacking depth in the off season though if we want to make a NY6 next year.
TH Spangler, CCWMichael liked this
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Bad play calling, bad passing, bad penalties = loss to an inferior team. RB’s did a pretty good job.
By LU 57
jmclaughlin wrote: November 12th, 2022, 4:54 pm
LU 57 wrote: November 12th, 2022, 4:44 pm
jmclaughlin wrote: November 12th, 2022, 4:42 pm The Ahmad Walker penalty was the swing point and it was colossally dumb!
A lot of missed tackles by the backups.
Exactly. Means he also misses the first half of VT. The weakest depth on this team is at LB. Just not sure what he was thinking?
Looked like bad run fits by our LBs all game, although a little hard to tell from the couch.
By jimflamesfan
Registration Days Posts
It's all my fault. I don't get CBSSN with sling so I didn't watch the game I just listened to it. I couldnt scream at the tv to put the flames over the top. I should've gotten YouTube TV or at least tried to sail the high seas. But I just wasn't committed enough...and it cost us.
stokesjokes, SumItUp, rtb72 liked this
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
On a couple of drives in the second half, when we were in hurry up offence and moving the ball at will they had players fake cramps. You could tell by how quickly they got over it, jump up and walked off. Their defence was wasted.

Its legal, but really hurts the game if you ask me.
By jmclaughlin
What was the scoop with Brewer today? I didn’t even see him on the sideline. Saw Hampton a few times. Was hoping to see if he could unlock our passing game today
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
jimflamesfan wrote: November 12th, 2022, 6:48 pm It's all my fault. I don't get CBSSN with sling so I didn't watch the game I just listened to it. I couldnt scream at the tv to put the flames over the top. I should've gotten YouTube TV or at least tried to sail the high seas. But I just wasn't committed enough...and it cost us.
How dare you

But thanks for telling us
jimflamesfan liked this
By willflop
Apparently something is in the water. Vanderbilt breaks its 28 sec game losing streak against #24 Kentucky. Boston College, that Uconn beat, knocks off #16 NC State. Purdue wins against #21 Illinois. Everything was lining up well...
By Ill flame
jimflamesfan wrote: November 12th, 2022, 6:48 pm It's all my fault. I don't get CBSSN with sling so I didn't watch the game I just listened to it. I couldnt scream at the tv to put the flames over the top. I should've gotten YouTube TV or at least tried to sail the high seas. But I just wasn't committed enough...and it cost us.
jimflamesfan liked this
By AATL
It's disappointing to lose such a winnable game. Credit to Mora and the Huskies for capitalizing on too many opportunities. If you'd asked me for my most optimistic preseason prediction, I'd have put 9-3 as the improbable ceiling. That this team still has the chance to meet, let alone top, that with an injury-riddled two-deep at the skill positions is still awesome.
CCWMichael liked this
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
willflop wrote: November 12th, 2022, 8:25 pm Apparently something is in the water. Vanderbilt breaks its 28 sec game losing streak against #24 Kentucky. Boston College, that Uconn beat, knocks off #16 NC State. Purdue wins against #21 Illinois. Everything was lining up well...
Yes very disappointing we laid an egg, Tulane lost today too. They would have HAD to rank us this Tuesday.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Liberty22 wrote: November 12th, 2022, 10:05 pm
willflop wrote: November 12th, 2022, 8:25 pm Apparently something is in the water. Vanderbilt breaks its 28 sec game losing streak against #24 Kentucky. Boston College, that Uconn beat, knocks off #16 NC State. Purdue wins against #21 Illinois. Everything was lining up well...
Yes very disappointing we laid an egg, Tulane lost today too. They would have HAD to rank us this Tuesday.
This is the Liberty Jinx. Unable to seize an opportunity when all the stars align. Something about LU, regardless the Sport, just can’t get over the hump.
Liberty22 liked this
By tyndal23
Purple Haize wrote: November 12th, 2022, 11:38 pm
This is the Liberty Jinx. Unable to seize an opportunity when all the stars align. Something about LU, regardless the Sport, just can’t get over the hump.
Nonsense...we should be 6-4. This team has over performed. True, we are 6 points from a top 12 ranking, but also 5 points from 6-4.
By willflop
tyndal23 wrote: November 13th, 2022, 1:15 am

Nonsense...we should be 6-4. This team has over performed. True, we are 6 points from a top 12 ranking, but also 5 points from 6-4.
This is my back to reality take as well. It's hard to say where we could be, had we not been shuffling QBs all season, but the BYU and Ark wins put a little extra red in our glasses. Really easy to ignore what the USM, Akron, and GW games were telling us after those. Even ODU, which is proving to be one of the worst teams, we beat by 14 points with two of the flukiest plays you'll see. At Wake, our last 14 points came from a defender falling down and then a well defended pass break up that deflected to Douglas, both on 4th down throws I think. That's all part of football, but you can only press your luck so far. The regression to the mean caught up with us.

JB has improved a lot, but I was really hoping Brewer was going to be ready enough to get the start here. I felt like the regression was coming and we needed to flank it with something new, especially with our RB situation. Not that this is entirely or even mostly on offense, the entire game felt jinxed from the beginning. But the offense owed the D a bail out at this point, and we go ice cold when we need it most in the 4th.
Dalegarz1, jmclaughlin liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
We should be 10-0. But as Coach Freeze says, "it's hard to win football games ".
For whatever the reason, we didn't come to play yesterday. i.e. we took UConn too lightly .
By jmclaughlin
willflop wrote: November 13th, 2022, 6:31 am

This is my back to reality take as well. It's hard to say where we could be, had we not been shuffling QBs all season, but the BYU and Ark wins put a little extra red in our glasses. Really easy to ignore what the USM, Akron, and GW games were telling us after those. Even ODU, which is proving to be one of the worst teams, we beat by 14 points with two of the flukiest plays you'll see. At Wake, our last 14 points came from a defender falling down and then a well defended pass break up that deflected to Douglas, both on 4th down throws I think. That's all part of football, but you can only press your luck so far. The regression to the mean caught up with us.

JB has improved a lot, but I was really hoping Brewer was going to be ready enough to get the start here. I felt like the regression was coming and we needed to flank it with something new, especially with our RB situation. Not that this is entirely or even mostly on offense, the entire game felt jinxed from the beginning. But the offense owed the D a bail out at this point, and we go ice cold when we need it most in the 4th.
Spot On. Great take
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
willflop wrote: November 13th, 2022, 6:31 am

My take was no criticism on the accomplishments of this years team in the face of adversity. The defense has been outstanding and I’ve been a JB supporter all year BYU was a nice win despite the Cougars troubles this year and Arkansas was special. But LU sports in general can never seems to seize the opportunity to take the next step. That goes for Football, Baseball, Basketball, Softball etc (Field Hockey being an exception). ‘Something’ always happen.
Beating Tech would be/will be amazing. But the window to truly be special this year or even the next few, has unfortunately closed.
Liberty22 liked this
By willflop
Yeah, no matter how good a 10 win season is, if it happens, it's hard for this not to be a wet blanket.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
willflop wrote: November 13th, 2022, 12:19 pm Yeah, no matter how good a 10 win season is, if it happens, it's hard for this not to be a wet blanket.
Looking at what a 10 win season IS good, especially the Arkansas and BYU (Tech?) wins
Looking at what could have been - disappointing
Liberty22, AATL liked this
By Ill flame
Purple Haize wrote: November 13th, 2022, 12:03 pm
My take was no criticism on the accomplishments of this years team in the face of adversity. The defense has been outstanding and I’ve been a JB supporter all year BYU was a nice win despite the Cougars troubles this year and Arkansas was special. But LU sports in general can never seems to seize the opportunity to take the next step. That goes for Football, Baseball, Basketball, Softball etc (Field Hockey being an exception). ‘Something’ always happen.
Beating Tech would be/will be amazing. But the window to truly be special this year or even the next few, has unfortunately closed.
I don't understand this take. We will hopefully be looking at a 10+ win season despite losing more than half of our starters from last year on both sides of the ball. Barring massive turnover we will be returning almost all of our main contributors except for a few on each side of the lines. Whether we finished this season undefeated or 6-6 we were looking at a mediocre bowl against a mediocre G5 opponent regardless. This team is positioned to bring in some additional depth through the portal and take a huge step forward next year when it'll start meaning much more.
AATL liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Ill flame wrote: November 13th, 2022, 1:49 pm
Purple Haize wrote: November 13th, 2022, 12:03 pm
Whether we finished this season undefeated or 6-6 we were looking at a mediocre bowl against a mediocre G5 opponent regardless.
This is the crux of what I’m saying. This is not an accurate statement. So let me see if I can clarify a bit more. Looking at all the teams in front of LU that lost this week had LU beaten UCONN they certainly would have vaulted up the rankings and possibly into the CFP rankings. That certainly would have garnered attention and interest from more than a mediocre Bowl against a mediocre G5 team. It would have give LU an opportunity to get on the map. The opportunity was there and LU failed to seize on it
Again, based on all the injuries etc a .500 season wouldn’t be unexpected. But they rose above those expectations which is to be lauded. However, with the loss against UCONN it doesn’t mean much in terms of
Bowl games and LU is back to the scenario you describe.
The end result will be the same as the last 3 years but the journey to get here was both more adventurous and left bigger opportunities on the table. I’m not down on the team, just making an observation
Liberty22 liked this
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
Even if we were to have gone to a mediocre bowl, then we probably beat a mediocre team and finish the season top-15 in the country. That could be program-changing. Hard to not take this as a huge disappointment because of how well we have done otherwise.

I know it seems “typical Liberty” to not be able to break through, but it does have me curious about how that works at other schools. Is it just typical for most schools on our level to feel one “what if” away from big successes? Are the breakthroughs the outliers? Is it typical Liberty or typical for G5s with these kinds of opportunities?
Liberty22 liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: November 13th, 2022, 2:56 pm Even if we were to have gone to a mediocre bowl, then we probably beat a mediocre team and finish the season top-15 in the country. That could be program-changing. Hard to not take this as a huge disappointment because of how well we have done otherwise.

I know it seems “typical Liberty” to not be able to break through, but it does have me curious about how that works at other schools. Is it just typical for most schools on our level to feel one “what if” away from big successes? Are the breakthroughs the outliers? Is it typical Liberty or typical for G5s with these kinds of opportunities?
Great question. It appears that teams at LU’s level make that leap to the mountain top but never stay there. However, they live off the accomplishment for awhile and it’s locked in peoples brains.
I guess you don’t hear too much about those who are close and don’t get there simply because they don’t get there.
AT LEAST LU has been in a position to get there in several sports, including this year. So while frustrating it’s better than the alternative
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]