Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By CCWMichael
Major conferences are releasing next years schedules.
So when will the CUSA release theirs?
Last it it was something like March?
An early release allows universities and fans to plan ahead. I am in high hopes the CUSA does not go poverty and wait until late next year.
#7homegames2023 :football :football :football
By BlueBlood
Seems like C-USA traditionally announces schedules in January. Who knows though, the conference has seen a lot of changes. They were later last year due to uncertainty regarding conference changes.
CCWMichael liked this
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
With Kennesaw coming into the flow, they will likely have to agree to a format to not play at least one team to get down to 8 conference games. I suspect we will find a schedule next month.
By aredd33
Registration Days Posts
By jmclaughlin
I love this
Midweek games are fun and having ESPN part of the mix helps too. CUSA isn’t sexy but being a potential 11-1 and looking at the Independence Bowl as our ceiling certainly isn’t sexy either. CUSA is the ugly girlfriend that gets us invited to a bigger party.
stokesjokes liked this
By LUOrange
jmclaughlin wrote: November 9th, 2022, 7:27 pm I love this
Midweek games are fun and having ESPN part of the mix helps too. CUSA isn’t sexy but being a potential 11-1 and looking at the Independence Bowl as our ceiling certainly isn’t sexy either. CUSA is the ugly girlfriend that gets us invited to a bigger party.
Well, if the Indy Bowl isn't sexy, the Bahamas Bowl must be fugly then.
By willflop
College football and Saturdays are meant to be together, which is why I don't like it. With that said, it seems the impact won't define the season. October is the prime month for a bye week, moving it back to 3ish games affected. Maybe you have an out of conference game in October as well, moving only two of the games to mid week. And then, good chance one is away and one is home, so we possibly only have to experience the "joy" of one Tuesday night game a year...two at most in off years?

Additionally, early in the season I'd guess that mid week games get more eyes because people are not burned out on watching football as much yet. This is a side advantage with the Mac taking November and us October. Plus it is warmer in October, better for night games.

I imagine we still get espn+ and possibly cbsn on Saturdays?
ballcoach15 liked this
By jmclaughlin
LUOrange wrote: November 9th, 2022, 7:53 pm
Yeah…I stand down. Just looked again at the tie ins next year in CUSA…ehhh. The Fenway bowl, and all the lousy bowls we project into now. Biff, your girlfriend, wooof!
LUOrange liked this
By Ill flame
The advantage to the c-usa bowl tie ins are that we can pick and choose which matchup we want to an extent. Right now we just get the scraps left over once the G5s get first pick. Here are the last 5 bowl games that the c-usa champ went to.

2021- Frisco Bowl (UTSA v #24 SDSU)
2020- Gasparilla Bowl (UAB v South Carolina)
2019- Boca Raton Bowl (FAU v SMU)
2018- Boca Raton Bowl (UAB v Northern Illinois)
2017- Boca Raton Bowl (FAU v Akron)

I wouldn't be upset about either of those locations although I would prefer a better matchup than the MAC runner up.
By cruzan_flame13
[[/quote]
jmclaughlin wrote: November 9th, 2022, 8:42 pm
Yeah…I stand down. Just looked again at the tie ins next year in CUSA…ehhh. The Fenway bowl, and all the lousy bowls we project into now. Buzz, your girlfriend, wooof!
FIFY :D
jmclaughlin liked this
By cruzan_flame13
cruzan_flame13 wrote: November 9th, 2022, 11:12 pm [
jmclaughlin wrote: November 9th, 2022, 8:42 pm
Yeah…I stand down. Just looked again at the tie ins next year in CUSA…ehhh. The Fenway bowl, and all the lousy bowls we project into now. Buzz, your girlfriend, wooof!
FIFY :D
[/quote]
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
New Mexico State is already our biggest rival :lol:
Purple Haize, Baybird liked this
By Ill flame
Liberty_2023 wrote: November 24th, 2022, 10:28 pm Will CUSA try and manufacture a conference rivalry for us?
I'm not sure who that would be. The school that makes the most sense (wku) based on geography and competitiveness already has a primary rival. It's not like there is a Charlotte or ODU left in the conference that would make sense. I hope they don't try to force something that isn't there and never will be.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I don't recall Dr. Falwell saying "someday we'll be playing ODU and Charlotte in football". If either of those 2 teams had became our chief rival, we'd be taking a giant step backwards as a football team and as a university. Thankfully we're not in a conference with them. Same goes for any other school of similar stature as ODU or Charlotte.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Ill flame wrote: November 24th, 2022, 11:21 pm
Liberty_2023 wrote: November 24th, 2022, 10:28 pm Will CUSA try and manufacture a conference rivalry for us?
I'm not sure who that would be. The school that makes the most sense (wku) based on geography and competitiveness already has a primary rival. It's not like there is a Charlotte or ODU left in the conference that would make sense. I hope they don't try to force something that isn't there and never will be.
Well, we kinda forced a rivalry with Coastal and it worked.
Purple Haize, LUOrange liked this
By Ill flame
Coastal is at least in our region and didn't already have a rival. I guess kennesaw state fits that description but I have no desire to be rivals with a fcs callup with no fanbase.
By Liberty_2023

I think FIU would be best out of all the options. Would help Florida recruiting & FIU could be a good G5 with investment.

CUSA Rivalry week hypothetical:
WKU v MTSU (preexisting)
Jacksonville State v Kennesaw State
Liberty v FIU
NMST v UTEP (preexisting)
LA Tech v Sam Houston State
By AATL
Hopefully competition (in more than football) will spring some natural rivalries over time. The footprint of this conference will make it tough, though -- and neighborly fanbase rivalries are much more fun than internet rivalries. I'm eager to get the natural rivals (the JMUs and CCUs of the world) back on the non-conference schedules in the next few years.
LUOrange liked this
By BuryYourDuke
Registration Days Posts
I know we basically had no choice based on the way things were going….but what an absolute dumpster fire of a football conference. Not a single attractive game. Not even one.

Again, not criticizing the move, we did what we had to do. It’s just such a drop in quality that it is hard to be excited as a fan.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
BuryYourDuke wrote: November 25th, 2022, 11:37 pm I know we basically had no choice based on the way things were going….but what an absolute dumpster fire of a football conference. Not a single attractive game. Not even one.

Again, not criticizing the move, we did what we had to do. It’s just such a drop in quality that it is hard to be excited as a fan.
The only thing worse would have been staying Independent. It’s would have been unsustainable
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]