Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By rtb72
So proud of this team. JB (and I admit I was a skeptic at first part of year), has been calm and steady. Kid has gone through the ups and downs, and deserves the accolades for leading this team to where we are. Our Defense (Firewall) is one of the best in the nation! No question in my mind. We may not be as deep as other teams...but our boys can hurt feelings. Will be savoring this one for awhile.
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
Hard to believe the significant change in how we compete against SEC teams since 2018. 53-0 in 2018 to Auburn and only 134 yards of total offense & we looked so over-matched. Today vs Arkansas we WIN! We put up 315 total yards and for the high majority of the game owned their O-line. We held a team that rushes for 200+ yards a game to 144 yards. I am ecstatic that I've been able to see these games. I am also thrilled that we have ASOR to keep the kool-aid coming!!! Go Flames & on to 11-1!
Just John, rtb72 liked this
By Just John
Registration Days Posts
The improvement in JB the last two weeks has been amazing. His passes to start the game were thrown with confidence. Earlier in the year he was very tentative. Glad to see good things happening for him. He’s been a loyal teammate with a great attitude though very little playing time the last few years.
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote: November 6th, 2022, 6:38 am
THE TAKEAWAY

Liberty’s lone loss came by one point to Wake Forest in Week 3. The Flames may be the best non-power-conference team in FBS.
https://www.wsls.com/sports/2022/11/06/ ... oad-21-19/
And we are one two point conversion away from being a dark horse playoff candidate based on our strength of record. Based on the eye test and the fact that we almost lost to GW at home, I'm hoping we shift our focus to UConn really fast. We are pretty beat up and UConn is not as bad as they've been in the past. They've played well.

There's a real chance we get too big for our britches and overlook them.
TH Spangler, aredd33 liked this
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
flamesfilmguy wrote: November 5th, 2022, 9:58 pm
cruzan_flame13 wrote: November 5th, 2022, 9:51 pm Future flames hearing the stories about this game:

"Remember remember the 5th of November..." :lol:
I was literally coming here to make this joke :lol: . Beat me to it. We've come a long way from the days of Ken Karcher and boinking a game winning field goal off the crossbar against VMI in the final minute my Freshman year.
Yes, I was in the press box for that game, but at least we ended the 211 minute scoreless streak in the VMI game. I was also in the press box for the triple OT loss to Coastal a little later.
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
Reading the Arkansas forum and there are obviously a lot of fans smack talking us like we're an FCS team
I'm more surprised by the number of people that are giving us credit for being top 25 and a perennial bowl team. Not a lot of negative talk like we've seen from other fan bases that we've beaten. I can't tell if its earned respect or if the fan base of Arkansas isn't filled with vitriolic leftists, or maybe a little of both.

https://forums.hogville.net/index.php?topic=748209.50
Liberty22 liked this
By Logic
It’s Arkansas. These are Liberty people. Down home cookin. God Guns and country music. The military tribute - Toby - courtesy of the RWB…and the blasted the “we’ll put a boot in your jerk its the American way” part - as part of the tribute. I wish we did that. My guess is they do that every home game for every vet. If there were one P5 in the country that would/should love LU its gotta be the razorbacks.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
flamesfilmguy wrote: November 5th, 2022, 9:58 pm We've come a long way from the days of Ken Karcher and boinking a game winning field goal off the crossbar against VMI in the final minute my Freshman year.
I was actually thinking about that effing kick just the other day. Man that pi$$ed me off when it happened. Still mad. And everyone losing their minds on the Firehouse board when Sr extended KK’s contract. Though they canned him anyway I think we went 1-10 that season. Only beat concord iirc
thesportscritic liked this
By cruzan_flame13
PAmedic wrote: November 6th, 2022, 1:43 pm
flamesfilmguy wrote: November 5th, 2022, 9:58 pm We've come a long way from the days of Ken Karcher and boinking a game winning field goal off the crossbar against VMI in the final minute my Freshman year.
I was actually thinking about that effing kick just the other day. Man that pi$$ed me off when it happened. Still mad. And everyone losing their minds on the Firehouse board when Sr extended KK’s contract. Though they canned him anyway I think we went 1-10 that season. Only beat concord iirc
I got into LU football once I officially stepped onto campus in 2009 (although I knew about LU since the early '00s). I want to thank you guys for taking all the stress and frustration for us future flames during those years and could now reap the blessings that is given to our football/ other athletic programs :D
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
You’re welcome. I was also irritated when they fired Morgan Hout. So there ya go.
And at least you didn’t have to ride school buses to Lynchburg city stadium.
SumItUp, JK37, flamehunter and 1 others liked this
By Ill flame
Kricket wrote: November 6th, 2022, 12:00 pm Reading the Arkansas forum and there are obviously a lot of fans smack talking us like we're an FCS team
I'm more surprised by the number of people that are giving us credit for being top 25 and a perennial bowl team. Not a lot of negative talk like we've seen from other fan bases that we've beaten. I can't tell if its earned respect or if the fan base of Arkansas isn't filled with vitriolic leftists, or maybe a little of both.

https://forums.hogville.net/index.php?topic=748209.50
Even on reddit where it's almost exclusively vitriolic leftists I've really seen a big change in the way people talk about Liberty over the last few years. All the trolls still come out after a loss but post game threads used to be only "F*** Liberty/ the falwells" now people are starting to give credit where it's due even if they don't agree with the schools views on things. But mostly it's just Arkansas fans upset about losing without really taking shots at Liberty in the process like they probably would've in the past.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CFB/comments/y ... nsas_2119/
Kricket liked this
By cruzan_flame13
PAmedic wrote: November 6th, 2022, 2:10 pm You’re welcome. I was also irritated when they fired Morgan Hout. So there ya go.
And at least you didn’t have to ride school buses to Lynchburg city stadium.
Not at all. Only had to go to the stadium once when LU played St. Francis.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
PAmedic wrote: November 6th, 2022, 1:43 pm
But VMI had the greatest comeback when we put our stud RBs on the field at the same time and ran the option!
By SumItUp
Registration Days Posts
What a day! For our family, it was once in a lifetime. It was so much fun to see Liberty playing at Razorback Stadium and to experience it with my family and so many old friends that made the trip from Lynchburg and others from states surrounding Arkansas. I finally met @jmclaughlin and a few others that lurk on this board from time to time. I watched the second quarter with @tyndal23 in the Founder's Club with all the Razorback big donor suites. Thanks tyndal123! I saw that @jinxy was at the game. Who is he? If I know him, I have not made the connection yet. Jinxy, reveal yourself! :) I wish that @Purple Haize , @bigsmooth and @Sly Fox could have made the trip, but I understand the challenges of schedules and budgets.

Overall, such a fun day as a Liberty football fan. Ian has been such a steady leader as AD. The Flames Club continues to elevate the experience. Mike & Jeff lead that group very well. Many past coaches, players and administrators helped to pave the way over the last 50 years. I am sure that they were watching with pride. For those of us that heard the vision cast in the 70's and 80's, we never doubted it. However, to live and experience that vision becoming reality over the last ten years has been incredible. The LU family is different than any fanbase in American and I'm grateful to be a part of it. Personally, for the first time in 25 years, I was able to watch an LU football game in person and sleep in my own bed that night. In the big picture, sports is a secondary matter, but it's fun. Yesterday, my heart was full and happy. Then, we won a football game.
Liberty22, Baybird, cruzan_flame13 and 7 others liked this
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: November 6th, 2022, 5:03 pm I saw an interesting Post on Facebook late last night.

"Liberty softball owns 2 wins over Arkansas"
To go with 1 loss. Football is undefeated against them.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
JB has proven that he is more that just a good back-up, over the last two weeks. He's a legit football player and genuine leader. Happy for him. Hunter situation is discouraging. Big time player. As good as any back we've ever had, if not the clear top guy. Hoping for the best, but not optimistic.
LUOrange liked this
By jmclaughlin
SumItUp wrote: November 6th, 2022, 4:21 pm What a day! For our family, it was once in a lifetime. It was so much fun to see Liberty playing at Razorback Stadium and to experience it with my family and so many old friends that made the trip from Lynchburg and others from states surrounding Arkansas. I finally met @jmclaughlin and a few others that lurk on this board from time to time. I watched the second quarter with @tyndal23 in the Founder's Club with all the Razorback big donor suites. Thanks tyndal123! I saw that @jinxy was at the game. Who is he? If I know him, I have not made the connection yet. Jinxy, reveal yourself! :) I wish that @Purple Haize , @bigsmooth and @Sly Fox could have made the trip, but I understand the challenges of schedules and budgets.

Overall, such a fun day as a Liberty football fan. Ian has been such a steady leader as AD. The Flames Club continues to elevate the experience. Mike & Jeff lead that group very well. Many past coaches, players and administrators helped to pave the way over the last 50 years. I am sure that they were watching with pride. For those of us that heard the vision cast in the 70's and 80's, we never doubted it. However, to live and experience that vision becoming reality over the last ten years has been incredible. The LU family is different than any fanbase in American and I'm grateful to be a part of it. Personally, for the first time in 25 years, I was able to watch an LU football game in person and sleep in my own bed that night. In the big picture, sports is a secondary matter, but it's fun. Yesterday, my heart was full and happy. Then, we won a football game.
What an incredible experience. Growing up a Hog fan but not feeling a stitch of empathy for the ‘Backs. This game made me realize, the Flames are now on the Big stage in almost every major category. I no longer need another team to follow beside the Flames! What makes it better is knowing that sports is just an Avenue for proclaiming Christ to a national audience. My crew was able to sit amongst the LU swim team and it was a great reminder of what amazing individuals are a part of Liberty University. What a great group of athletes who were so kind to my son and nephew. They represented the school so well. Rewatching the game and paying attention to the attitude of our football team demonstrated the same . We not only won but we won with class!

Now we get to cheer on Malik as he carries the torch on the national stage. What a weekend! Great meeting you @SumItUp
Last edited by jmclaughlin on November 6th, 2022, 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rtb72 liked this
By tyndal23
SumItUp wrote: November 6th, 2022, 4:21 pm What a day! For our family, it was once in a lifetime. It was so much fun to see Liberty playing at Razorback Stadium and to experience it with my family and so many old friends that made the trip from Lynchburg and others from states surrounding Arkansas. I finally met @jmclaughlin and a few others that lurk on this board from time to time. I watched the second quarter with @tyndal23 in the Founder's Club with all the Razorback big donor suites. Thanks tyndal123! I saw that @jinxy was at the game. Who is he? If I know him, I have not made the connection yet. Jinxy, reveal yourself! :) I wish that @Purple Haize , @bigsmooth and @Sly Fox could have made the trip, but I understand the challenges of schedules and budgets.

Great to hang out with you Sumitup. Stopped in a restaurant bar near home today traveling back from the game - one guy saw my LU and came up to me and was congratulating LU, said he saw the score come over the OU stadium video board and crowd “oohed”. I was calm all week and just had a very good feeling. This week however, stressing already over a beat up team having to travel again to UConn who is waiting to try and smack us in the mouth. These are the types of games pro gamblers pounce on...so let’s FOCUS boys -
2024 Recruiting Discussion

Hopefully we are not losing out on Bond. I would s[…]

Uh… You guys like reading?

I like biographies, books about finance and human […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

I think we should do whatever Tech and UVA do as[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

That might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen per[…]