Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: December 11th, 2022, 4:44 pm The NIL is ‘The Shiny New Thing’. Eventually the novelty will wear off and players will find out that Promises made aren’t always promises kept. Things will stabilize and it will no longer be an issue. It’s not going to destroy anything. It will shift the landscape certainly. Teams like Alabama who had cheating down to a science will no longer have that advantage.
I disagree to a point. The teams that had the cheating down to a science - Alabama, Kentucky, the whole SEC outside Vanderbilt come to think of it, Michigan State, Arizona, USC - will take slightly longer to adapt because they were so engrained in their systems. There will be - and have already been - some upstarts who, unmarried to their ways, were adaptable enough to jump on this faster. Texas A&M, Miami, Baylor, etc.

But fear not, the curmudgeon Saban cried for awhile because all this meant he couldn’t cheat and win like he knew how. But give the man credit: he’ll always seek to win above all and at any cost. So Alabama may have been behind for a moment, but they’re finding their competitive footing once again.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
You make my point. This will all calm down. It’s going to even the playing field and things will continue.
JK37 liked this
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: December 11th, 2022, 4:38 pm But even if it did. Everyone else makes millions off them, and the other student-athletes’ experiences are financed by the football team. And you want the only thing they get to be a degree? Why shouldn’t they be allowed to profit NOW from their name, their image and the likeness?

Why shouldn’t they be allowed the right to choose where they go to class and where they compete? Just like EVERY. OTHER. STUDENT. ?? And why shouldn’t they be allowed to change their mind? Just like EVERY. OTHER. STUDENT. ??

And if I want to give my money directly to one of those student-athletes, instead of being forced to go through the University or the booster club, for some service rendered - why shouldn’t I be allowed to do so?

The only thing this is “destroying” is the idyllic caste system of intercollegiate athletics that you old curmudgeons enjoyed while the hardest working entity in the chain - the student-athletes - were suppressed so that coaches, presidents, and other students could benefit more.

You old geezers have been screaming how this is going to ruin college athletics for so long. But here we are! Instead of being ruined, more people watch than ever before. Where’s the ruination? NOT ALL CHANGE IS BAD! You’re just suffering from what every old person seems to at some point: laziness to do the work to understand WHY the change was made. It’s easier to sit in the corner on your smart phone and whine about it! Instead of even trying to give a single ounce of effort to UNDERSTAND it. And that is why no one cares what you think.

And even if recruits are bought, tell me why that’s inherently bad? It’s the same in professional sports. So the entity with the most money wins. Guess what? WELCOME TO AMERICA!!

“But this isn’t professional sports!” Yes it is. When they are required to fulfill duties for their benefits, they are working to earn a living. It’s not amateur anymore.

“But paying for recruits hurts competitive balance!” - no, it just brings the imbalance out into the open.

Show me a better system. And give me one - just one - reason why your system would be better. I’ll wait.

And don’t just paint an old picture for me. Don’t give me your preference to keep the athletes poor while everyone else profits. If you can’t offer a solution, and do more than just whine like a baby, then sit down and shut up.

Bunch of crazy, know-nothing oppressive whiny baby men…..
Cap each athletic dept, just like the pros do.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: December 14th, 2022, 6:58 pm 5 words I hate:

name. image, likeness, transfer , portal
You should be required to define them before being allowed to hate them.
Purple Haize liked this
By Ill flame
Once they get their feet under them a little more I'm curious to see what kind of money this collective is pulling in. Unfortunately no G5s appear to be reporting how much they are giving to athletes. I did find a report that SMU is paying over $3.5 million/ year to their athletes. ($36k to all football and basketball players). This is more than a lot of P5s so it'll be hard to compete with that.

Memphis AD also recently said they need $2-3 million a year to stay competitive and that wouldn't get them to the top in NIL. Im not sure if hes referring to G5 or P5. Memphis basketball isnt content winning the AAC.

Fortunately all we really need to do is to be at the top of c-usa where the pockets aren't nearly as deep. At least for now.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I wish NIL wouldn't influence what school an athlete goes to. NIL and Transfer portal is destroying college sports.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: January 2nd, 2023, 1:09 pm I wish NIL wouldn't influence what school an athlete goes to. NIL and Transfer portal is destroying college sports.
Has anything been done to IMPROVE college sports in the last 75 years?
thesportscritic liked this
By Ill flame
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/12/31/us/c ... -bowl.html

Here's a good article that takes a deep dive into some of the NIL money that's being thrown around at the elite schools and the strategies each CFP team uses. Just to pick one team from the article, Texas NIL collective has paid $14 million to players since 2021. In total Texas players have made roughly $22 million during that time across all NIL deal :shock:
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]