Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By ALAFlamesFan
Registration Days Posts
Forgive me if there is a topic already started. Does the State of Virginia allow true NIL collectives and why haven't we started one? SOAR is not the same as what Auburn or Miami is doing. Thanks and I'll hang up and listen.
By Ill flame
My understanding is the collectives you are talking about are booster driven. I'm not sure if a university can (or should) create and operate a NIL collective. Do we have any heavy hitting boosters that a lot of P5s have? Over the summer they did create a marketplace to make the NIL process easier for both sides involved. https://www.liberty.edu/flames/news/fla ... rketplace/

I imagine we aren't doing bad in that area compared to other G5s, it seems like every recruit we get has a long G5 offer list nowadays. Of course there's more to recruiting than NIL, especially at this level.
By ALAFlamesFan
Registration Days Posts
Understood. And you are correct, Universities cannot be involved in what I am talking about although wink, wink, they are. I know different states have different rules but if it is possible perhaps we here on ASOR could start one. Small donations from lots of alums add up. And since we are trying to dominate the G5 I think this is something we could do to help.
By Ill flame
To be honest if I'm donating to LU it would be toward something that more directly benefits the school and students like scholarships. I wouldn't throw money at a collective so a player that is already profiting can make more. NIL is intended to be beneficial for both sides. Unfortunately we all know that rarely happens outside of a few things like merch sales
By ALAFlamesFan
Registration Days Posts
Bringing this back to the top because Ian mentioned A Sea of Red was working on an NIL Collective?! I think this is vitally important as we move forward and make the next step up. What are the details that can be shared?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
I helped with the legal bills. Now this? :D :lol:
By OneHope
I hole eventually they roll things like subscriber meet and greets/ signings etc Penn and other schools use these collectives to the fullest! Glad we have this now!
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
It'd be cool to see what the total contribution is to this. Like to have a public tracker or something.
By tyndal23
We need a big anchor like Hobby Lobby David Green - maybe national HL ads from LU athletes. The $20 here and there won’t cut it....
By tyndal23
I am a firm believer in Football first in College Athletics, however - when it comes to NIL - for LU - imagine being top 5 NIL in hoops, baseball and softball. I think a much bigger impact for getting us over the hump vs G5 football due to sheer numbers of athletes per sport. $100k per softball, baseball player and $250k per hoops - much more effective per dollar. Wondering which lower tier schools figure this out first. Would be interested to see what Grand Canyon did for hoops ( mentioned on the ASOR NIL podcast ).
By tyndal23
tyndal23 wrote: December 8th, 2022, 1:57 am I am a firm believer in Football first in College Athletics, however - when it comes to NIL - for LU - imagine being top 5 NIL in hoops, baseball and softball. I think a much bigger impact for getting us over the hump vs G5 football due to sheer numbers of athletes per sport. $100k per softball, baseball player and $250k per hoops - much more effective per dollar. Wondering which lower tier schools figure this out first. Would be interested to see what Grand Canyon did for hoops ( mentioned on the ASOR NIL podcast ).
By the way - Wichita Shockers comes to mind immediately for hoops and baseball...
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: December 8th, 2022, 8:02 am Eventually NIL and transfer portal will destroy college sports.
:rofl

You have been railing against things like this for years. They keep happening, and nothing has been "destroyed".
Players deserve flexibility in deciding where they go to school and compete, and should not be locked into a decision they made as an 18 year old for 4 years. The idea that transfers should only be allowed for "hardship cases" is ludicrous. "

I have mixed feelings on NIL. Right now it's too much of a wild west scenario. I'd like to see some carefully thought out guidelines put in place.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
NIL should not be used to entice recruits to sign with a school. That's the same as "buying recruits". Boosters should not be involved in the recruiting process. Recruiting should be between Coaches and the athlete, no 3rd party involvement. I blame this entire mess on weak/non-existing leadership at NCAA headquarters with both NIL and transfer portal.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: December 8th, 2022, 9:49 am NIL should not be used to entice recruits to sign with a school. That's the same as "buying recruits". Boosters should not be involved in the recruiting process. Recruiting should be between Coaches and the athlete, no 3rd party involvement. I blame this entire mess on weak/non-existing leadership at NCAA headquarters with both NIL and transfer portal.
You constantly rant about how poor the NCAA leadership is, while at the same time saying they should decide things like which transfers are "hardship cases.". I actually agree with you that there needs to be some sort of restriction on NIL $$ that will prevent bidding wars for top recruits. At the same time I have to confess I have no idea how that would work.
Kricket liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I recently read that some school is putting together an NIL package for some player who's in the Transfer Portal. This has to be illegal. I'd like to see a school get caught "buying a player" off Portal, to see what action NCAA takes.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: December 8th, 2022, 2:00 pm I recently read that some school is putting together an NIL package for some player who's in the Transfer Portal. This has to be illegal. I'd like to see a school get caught "buying a player" off Portal, to see what action NCAA takes.
It's not the schools who are doing this. That is a no no. It's individual boosters, businesses and NIL collectives like the one ASOR just started, which is legal. I believe Manson has already stated that our collective will focus exclusively on athletes already enrolled and will not be involved in recruiting.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
I am just amazed that the same God who told them to go to LU, after much prayer and consideration, has now told them to go somewhere else.
We certainly blame God for a lot of things.
This also extends to pastors and church leaders. I have seen it at least 50 times. "God is now calling me to another place"
I almost never believe this crapola, because it is almost 100% self serving.
Oh well, just an interesting side note to me. I don't want anyone here, who doesn't want to be here. Just tell the truth, don't blame it on God.
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote: December 8th, 2022, 2:51 pm I am just amazed that the same God who told them to go to LU, after much prayer and consideration, has now told them to go somewhere else.
We certainly blame God for a lot of things.
This also extends to pastors and church leaders. I have seen it at least 50 times. "God is now calling me to another place"
I almost never believe this crapola, because it is almost 100% self serving.
Oh well, just an interesting side note to me. I don't want anyone here, who doesn't want to be here. Just tell the truth, don't blame it on God.

Flameshaw, THANK YOU! Your thoughts here are much appreciated. As a pastor who over the last year has heard the very same wording, "After much prayer, God has told me to leave this church." Yes, I'm sure God told you to leave a Biblically sound church. LU is not the local church and the football team is not the local church. But I wonder because I do not officially know if these players sought the Scriptures, sought the Holy Spirit's guidance, & sought their pastor's counsel before they made this decision.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Have no idea what you guys are specifically referring to. But people say things to show respect & gain favor. Players don't claim to search the scriptures for playing time & opportunity.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Wait. So leaving LU can never be Gods will? That’s an odd take. Maybe the Lord has completed the work he needed to do in them. Who are you to judge?
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: December 8th, 2022, 4:57 pm Wait. So leaving LU can never be Gods will? That’s an odd take. Maybe the Lord has completed the work he needed to do in them. Who are you to judge?
I'm just repeating the scriptures, no more , no less.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
Some pretty cynical takes here. I’m not saying it’s always sincere, but assuming it isn’t is some grimy business. God can call me to Lynchburg today and Phoenix tomorrow, doesn’t mean either of those callings aren’t real. Happened to Paul in his journeys all the time. Happens to people at Biblically sound churches too.

In today’s game you can’t have more th[…]

NMSU

You Green-McKay haters keep saying we need c[…]

Charlotte

Charlotte comes to Liberty Wednesday, for a 4:00 p[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

This past weekend I saw my neighbor at HEB.