Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By jmclaughlin
Who is making the trip to Fayetteville?
This game has been on my radar for 3+ years now as a lifelong Hog fan. First time in my life I will 100% cheer against the Hogs!

Curious what time slot it gets as this is the Hogs homecoming game. If you look at their schedule, we were the preseason cupcake and now we look like their toughest, non-SEC opponent! What a special season this can be if we catch them flat. The Hogs get LSU the following week and I can tell you, they will be peeking past us. This game doesn’t mean much in their scheme of things…unless we idle our way into the rankings next week. I am hoping we stay away from a number in front of our name until November 6th!

Let the Flames Rise!
By Humble_Opinion
Registration Days Posts
After leading the team to its biggest win ever, how do you not put the ball in JB's hands to start? I was really excited to see what Brewer could do this year, and I thought there was a better than even chance he would see more of the field this past Saturday. However, I was happy to be wrong there given the outcome, and now I think he's earned another crack at it.
By jmclaughlin
JB had a great game. He also faced 0 pass rush and had time to hit receivers in come back routes. The game plan in this one was spot on with no pass rush and BYU routinely dropping 8. He did throw 2 beautiful deep balls in the 1st quarter, on the exact same play design. Which tells you that he is still not getting the whole play book. I wouldn’t mind seeing him get the start v Arkansas but with 2 weeks of practice ahead, I think Brewer wins his job back. Body of work still doesn’t look great for JB. Although this game makes him a legend in LU football history!
By jmclaughlin
Also of note…I haven’t been right about anything all season. This is an upside down world of 2022 LU football!
21-20 vs GW
41-14 vs BYU with fewer weapons
Make it make sense?!?!?
By jmclaughlin
Sly Fox wrote: October 23rd, 2022, 11:06 pm I am giving it serious thought by scouting flight options. We should find out midday tomorrow who is picking up the game and the time slot.
Aren’t you a Texan Sly?
Make it to Dallas and road trip it with my crew from there. There are no good flight options into Fayetteville unless you go private.
By willflop
jmclaughlin wrote: October 24th, 2022, 10:05 am JB had a great game. He also faced 0 pass rush and had time to hit receivers in come back routes. The game plan in this one was spot on with no pass rush and BYU routinely dropping 8. He did throw 2 beautiful deep balls in the 1st quarter, on the exact same play design. Which tells you that he is still not getting the whole play book. I wouldn’t mind seeing him get the start v Arkansas but with 2 weeks of practice ahead, I think Brewer wins his job back. Body of work still doesn’t look great for JB. Although this game makes him a legend in LU football history!
The commentators also made an interesting comment when discussing his 80%+ game vs. his previous 50% average, stating that virtually any D1 QB can throw 75% if they are given time. I just have a really hard time believing that BYU's rush is that much worse than GW's...I'm not sure how to process what happened, but he had time like I've never seen before. If it's all BYU just being bad, then yeah, this isn't going to carry over. I've also read some BYU folks say it doesn't matter if they blitz or not, they simply cannot generate rush, so they end up just choosing not to blitz as much since it doesn't help. I want to believe JB and our OL took another step...I'll just believe it.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
I watched the game on TV last night, and the announcers kept calling JB our "4th string QB." I'm not sure where they got that (3rd string maybe), but in what world is Hampton ranked ahead of JB this year??? :dontgetit
By Dalegarz1
Convcerning the lack of a pass rush from BYU, JB noted in postgame presser that they were a bull rush front and not speed rushers from the edge. Pretty sure they'll see a different style from the Hogs.
By tyndal23
Dalegarz1 wrote: October 24th, 2022, 12:14 pm Convcerning the lack of a pass rush from BYU, JB noted in postgame presser that they were a bull rush front and not speed rushers from the edge. Pretty sure they'll see a different style from the Hogs.
BYU was decimated by D Line injuries and had to travel extra O Lineman for depth at D Line. Arkansas D Line will be a different story for sure. Arkansas D has issues as well ( secondary) - their offense with Jefferson will be a tough matchup for us - big O Line, big backs and one of the best dual threat QB’s in the game. Really glad we have a bye week before this one. I plan on being there.
By Humble_Opinion
Registration Days Posts
tyndal23 wrote: October 24th, 2022, 1:10 pm
Dalegarz1 wrote: October 24th, 2022, 12:14 pm Convcerning the lack of a pass rush from BYU, JB noted in postgame presser that they were a bull rush front and not speed rushers from the edge. Pretty sure they'll see a different style from the Hogs.
BYU was decimated by D Line injuries and had to travel extra O Lineman for depth at D Line. Arkansas D Line will be a different story for sure. Arkansas D has issues as well ( secondary) - their offense with Jefferson will be a tough matchup for us - big O Line, big backs and one of the best dual threat QB’s in the game. Really glad we have a bye week before this one. I plan on being there.
Comparing the stat sheets between UA's game vs. BYU and ours, something stood out to me... Arkansas didn't register any sacks against BYU, whereas we had two. I know you can't read into it and say anything for sure, but it gives me a little extra hope that we can play with these guys and maybe make a game of it.
By tyndal23
Humble_Opinion wrote: October 24th, 2022, 1:38 pm
tyndal23 wrote: October 24th, 2022, 1:10 pm
Comparing the stat sheets between UA's game vs. BYU and ours, something stood out to me... Arkansas didn't register any sacks against BYU, whereas we had two. I know you can't read into it and say anything for sure, but it gives me a little extra hope that we can play with these guys and maybe make a game of it.
I have watched all their games and are about as tough to gauge as LU. MO St, pushed then for 3.5 quarters, They give Bama all they want for 3 qtrs. Miss St made their D look dumb. They are a bit inconsistent on offense, but when they control line of scrimmage, they make it look pretty easy. Our D can play with them IF our O can sustain some drives - otherwise, they want to wear you down and shove it down your throat in the 4th qtr. They can go over the top with WR Hazelwood - so stacking the box all game is sort of pick your poison. Front 4 have to play well and our LB’s and safeties have to form tackle all game. Excited to see how we match up.
jmclaughlin liked this
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
JB had no pressure on him all day. As a former QB, that is YUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE. Not to discount his great game. Being able to run the ball, also slows down a DL. Hopefully, we can put together another big win.
I would see how the practice goes this week, before making a decision on who starts. JB, also had a handful of WTF plays, where one scratches their head but hopefully the light has come on and will only get brighter.
willflop liked this
By willflop
It does pose an interesting dilemma, how do you bench the guy that just threw 83% in our biggest game. I suspect it will come down to Freeze's assessment as to why JB did so well and if that same reason carries over to Arkansas. If UA can get more rush, which seems a given, I think he has to go back to CB -- assuming his hand throbbing issue go away.
By jmclaughlin
I have watched all their games and are about as tough to gauge as LU. MO St, pushed then for 3.5 quarters, They give Bama all they want for 3 qtrs. Miss St made their D look dumb. They are a bit inconsistent on offense, but when they control line of scrimmage, they make it look pretty easy. Our D can play with them IF our O can sustain some drives - otherwise, they want to wear you down and shove it down your throat in the 4th qtr. They can go over the top with WR Hazelwood - so stacking the box all game is sort of pick your poison. Front 4 have to play well and our LB’s and safeties have to form tackle all game. Excited to see how we match up.
[/quote]

This
Arkansas is actually very similar to BYU with the exception that Arkansas is more balanced on Offense. The Hogs D is a mess. The secondary was awful the moment Catalon went out for the season. There will be chances in the passing game and we will need the best arm to deliver a consistent, catchable ball.

When the Hogs have the ball- The best bet will be to beef up the box and make Jefferson throw. He will miss poorly on 4-5 throws that hopefully fall near a LU defender. I can see the Hogs gouging us on the ground like we just did to BYU. Really curious how they play Auburn this week.
By LUOrange
Cider Jim wrote: October 24th, 2022, 12:07 pm I watched the game on TV last night, and the announcers kept calling JB our "4th string QB." I'm not sure where they got that (3rd string maybe), but in what world is Hampton ranked ahead of JB this year??? :dontgetit
They had no clue. They also called Sean Brown our 3rd stringer. Matt Warner and Joe Jauch joked on last week's Flames Central Podcast on how the ESPN guys blew them off last year and didn't want any help.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote: October 24th, 2022, 12:07 pm I watched the game on TV last night, and the announcers kept calling JB our "4th string QB." I'm not sure where they got that (3rd string maybe), but in what world is Hampton ranked ahead of JB this year??? :dontgetit
The ASOR page. Certainly several people on this board ranked it that way. How quickly you forger
Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double-h[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]