Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By BlueBlood
Just got back to Tampa - still feeling the high. Passed a couple southbound LU cars today - lots of honks and smiles. I’ve only been associated with the school 5 years now - and can’t imagine how you long term folks feel.
LUOrange liked this
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
Has anyone heard of "bad behavior" by Liberty fans? I know that all the personal interactions I had and witnessed by others were positive (as far as I can tell!). I have heard of a few things anecdotally, but nothing that I witnessed personally. There were a few signs I wish did not make it on the jumbotron.

Also, HCHF mentioned that he hoped BYU was not "offended."
By Tnobes
alabama24 wrote: October 23rd, 2022, 10:35 pm Has anyone heard of "bad behavior" by Liberty fans? I know that all the personal interactions I had and witnessed by others were positive (as far as I can tell!). I have heard of a few things anecdotally, but nothing that I witnessed personally. There were a few signs I wish did not make it on the jumbotron.

Also, HCHF mentioned that he hoped BYU was not "offended."
I think when he said "hopes they were not offended" it was in specific reference to the storming of the field which then also meant no post game handshakes of players. I don't think it was "bad behavior" or rudeness
By Humble_Opinion
Registration Days Posts
To be honest - I thought the prayer was stupidly offensive. Emphasizing that Jesus Christ is the only way to heaven in the way JF did and then the crowd cheering (in the middle of the prayer). Come on... there's a time and place to make a theological point. When you're the only person holding the microphone though and it's at a football game that isn't it. To me it comes across as petty and low. BYU, as a fanbase and as a people are not our enemies. They've been able to overcome many of the issues we currently face in academia. They're moving to a P5 Conference. We should be doing everything we can to learn from their success and ensure we have an ally moving forward. This sort of thing was always what you could expect from JLFJR imho. Act like a bully and then cry victim when no one wants to play with you. It's just annoying and childish - and I really hope new leadership moves in a different direction.
By willflop
It's been a while since I studied on Mormon theology, but I'd suspect they would agree with and wouldn't flinch at using that statement. The differences come out when you press what it means in totality, but they are very keen to be labeled labeled "Christian" and use a lot of similar terminology in my experience. This is what most factions do and why it can be deceptive to distinguish. I thought the large BYU crowd in the east side cheered and clapped as well after the prayer, from my view point.

I actually thought they would be more offended by the Jerry Falwell clip, where he called them Mormons. I think in the modern day they are avoiding that term and want to be referred to as Christians or members of the LDS church, not Mormons. Likewise, modern Catholics don't like being called "Roman"... I'll just stick with calling them papists :lol: .
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Humble_Opinion wrote: October 24th, 2022, 8:46 am To be honest - I thought the prayer was stupidly offensive. Emphasizing that Jesus Christ is the only way to heaven in the way JF did and then the crowd cheering (in the middle of the prayer). Come on... there's a time and place to make a theological point. When you're the only person holding the microphone though and it's at a football game that isn't it. To me it comes across as petty and low. BYU, as a fanbase and as a people are not our enemies. They've been able to overcome many of the issues we currently face in academia. They're moving to a P5 Conference. We should be doing everything we can to learn from their success and ensure we have an ally moving forward. This sort of thing was always what you could expect from JLFJR imho. Act like a bully and then cry victim when no one wants to play with you. It's just annoying and childish - and I really hope new leadership moves in a different direction.
Prayer was pretty standard JF. Same as at other events I've hear him open with prayer. All prayers should end "in Jesus name".
LUOrange liked this
By LUOrange
I thought everything went well. I appreciated Freeze's comments at the post-game press conference as well.

There was a post on the Liberty Flames Nation Facebook group from a lady who said she was an LU alum and married to a BYU grad, who claimed some adult LU fans were rude to her and her kids. It's certainly possible that what she said happened but I'm skeptical of her claims. I haven't heard or read of anything else negative.

I do agree, that we should be doing everything we can to build and keep a positive relationship with BYU. We want to emulate their success and should learn from their journey since they're not liked by the liberal/woke crowd and the elitist P5 institutions as well.
By CCWMichael
Kricket wrote: October 23rd, 2022, 1:46 pm Everyone has said most of the things already. But I wanted to add a few things.

I know Dae Dae and and JB are getting tons of credit as they should be. JB had tons of time to throw and Dae Dae had space to run. The O-line dominated BYUs defensive line.

BYUs defensive line looked very bad. I don't know if we played that well or their D-line was really that terrible.

Obviously our defense showed how tough it can be. We have a chance in almost any game if our defense is firing on all cylinders.

Amazing and shocking game! Now we won't be sneaking up on Arkansas like we did on BYU. I hope we're ready!
I watched the game last evening and it was noted on the ESPN broadcast they moved O linemen to the defensive side.
Either way we won and are #27
Kricket liked this
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Best sign I saw Saturday nigh was "Start the Bike". That is funny, no matter who you are. I believe we could have been a bit more respectful, but sometimes 18-20 year olds, just don't get it.
BlueBlood, LUOrange liked this
By BlueBlood
I wish their plane flew over the stadium a little later in the game than it did, because it would have made for a very visual "start the bus".
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
willflop wrote: October 24th, 2022, 9:05 am It's been a while since I studied on Mormon theology, but I'd suspect they would agree with and wouldn't flinch at using that statement. The differences come out when you press what it means in totality, but they are very keen to be labeled labeled "Christian" and use a lot of similar terminology in my experience. This is what most factions do and why it can be deceptive to distinguish. I thought the large BYU crowd in the east side cheered and clapped as well after the prayer, from my view point.

I actually thought they would be more offended by the Jerry Falwell clip, where he called them Mormons. I think in the modern day they are avoiding that term and want to be referred to as Christians or members of the LDS church, not Mormons. Likewise, modern Catholics don't like being called "Roman"... I'll just stick with calling them papists :lol: .
In context though, the JF clip was from back when they were still calling themselves Mormon, so hard to take issue with it. FWIW the LDS members I know still use the term.
willflop liked this
By LUalum12
Registration Days Posts
I have to admit that I have been very critical on JB. I noticed he was critical on himself after the game stating his inconsistency as well. With that being said, if he can play half as good as he did against BYU then we are in great shape going forward with him as the starter. As far as the prayer goes, JF was spot on in my opinion.
By LUDad
Humble_Opinion wrote: October 24th, 2022, 8:46 am To be honest - I thought the prayer was stupidly offensive. Emphasizing that Jesus Christ is the only way to heaven in the way JF did and then the crowd cheering (in the middle of the prayer). Come on... there's a time and place to make a theological point. When you're the only person holding the microphone though and it's at a football game that isn't it. To me it comes across as petty and low. BYU, as a fanbase and as a people are not our enemies. They've been able to overcome many of the issues we currently face in academia. They're moving to a P5 Conference. We should be doing everything we can to learn from their success and ensure we have an ally moving forward. This sort of thing was always what you could expect from JLFJR imho. Act like a bully and then cry victim when no one wants to play with you. It's just annoying and childish - and I really hope new leadership moves in a different direction.
Low and petty to state the essence of the gospel in a prayer with people listening who believe in a different way of salvation? :dontgetit
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Towards the end, things were being thrown around in the stands, and I saw a few go into the BYU bench. Seemed to stop after someone throw something right out onto the field and the rest of the crowd turned around and booed them.
By Tnobes
Yeah, I really hope new leadership moves in a different direction from the whole "I am the way the truth and the life thing :roll:
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Tnobes wrote: October 24th, 2022, 9:02 pm
Yeah, I really hope new leadership moves in a different direction from the whole "I am the way the truth and the life thing :roll:
https://www.gotquestions.org/way-truth-life.html
By LCA&LU Mom
Registration Days Posts
Humble_Opinion wrote: October 22nd, 2022, 9:07 pm Tonight was the loudest I’ve ever heard that stadium and it wasn’t even close. The Baptists finally figured out how to help the Defense. Got a couple of false starts out of it. Now if we can only teach the students to be quiet when we have the ball. Regardless… great atmosphere. Great win. KEEP YOUR HANDS OFF OUR COACH AUBURN.
My Apple Watch noise notification went off a few times during the game. At 6:03 PM it was 110 dB.
willflop, Liberty22, LU 57 and 1 others liked this
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
LCA&LU Mom wrote: October 25th, 2022, 7:31 am
Humble_Opinion wrote: October 22nd, 2022, 9:07 pm Tonight was the loudest I’ve ever heard that stadium and it wasn’t even close. The Baptists finally figured out how to help the Defense. Got a couple of false starts out of it. Now if we can only teach the students to be quiet when we have the ball. Regardless… great atmosphere. Great win. KEEP YOUR HANDS OFF OUR COACH AUBURN.
My Apple Watch noise notification went off a few times during the game. At 6:03 PM it was 110 dB.
Felt like death valley a few times. It was eletric ⚡
By Humble_Opinion
Registration Days Posts
There were many direct quotes from my statement. For those of you that responded, I'd encourage you to re-read what I actually said and include the context of where / when and how the message of John 14:6 was delivered. I have no problem with the message itself, as I'm a Bible believing Christian just like everyone else (assumingly) that quoted me. I don't need your modern-day Bible tracts delivered via the interwebs, as I'm not disputing a basic tenet of the faith. What I am saying is that I don't think a prayer offered up at the beginning of a game should be used as it was this past Saturday. JF's extra emphasis on the statement got the desired reaction from the crowd and to me it played as crass and not coming from a place of love, but of pettiness and immaturity. If you think you're winning over LDS believers with that kind of action, then I suggest you go read some basic psychology books on human behavior and sincerely held beliefs...

To me - it's akin to the same thing I encounter as a Conservative when I attend a concert, or seemingly apolitical event and the host of said event uses their platform to push the LGBTQ+ agenda / Jan 6th = 9/11 / or whatever else down my throat. It doesn't illicit a positive response from me. In the same way, using your platform to zero in on a sincerely held difference between two different groups of faith at a sporting event featuring two otherwise friendly and similar schools seems unproductive and destructive. If you disagree, I'm happy to read why, but don't misunderstand that my main issue is how the message was delivered and not the message itself.
By rtb72
Humble_Opinion wrote: October 25th, 2022, 10:59 am There were many direct quotes from my statement. For those of you that responded, I'd encourage you to re-read what I actually said and include the context of where / when and how the message of John 14:6 was delivered. I have no problem with the message itself, as I'm a Bible believing Christian just like everyone else (assumingly) that quoted me. I don't need your modern-day Bible tracts delivered via the interwebs, as I'm not disputing a basic tenet of the faith. What I am saying is that I don't think a prayer offered up at the beginning of a game should be used as it was this past Saturday. JF's extra emphasis on the statement got the desired reaction from the crowd and to me it played as crass and not coming from a place of love, but of pettiness and immaturity. If you think you're winning over LDS believers with that kind of action, then I suggest you go read some basic psychology books on human behavior and sincerely held beliefs...

To me - it's akin to the same thing I encounter as a Conservative when I attend a concert, or seemingly apolitical event and the host of said event uses their platform to push the LGBTQ+ agenda / Jan 6th = 9/11 / or whatever else down my throat. It doesn't illicit a positive response from me. In the same way, using your platform to zero in on a sincerely held difference between two different groups of faith at a sporting event featuring two otherwise friendly and similar schools seems unproductive and destructive. If you disagree, I'm happy to read why, but don't misunderstand that my main issue is how the message was delivered and not the message itself.
Admittedly, I'm not much of scholar on LDS, so I had to do some quick research (albeit maybe not completely accurate since it's the internet but is from LDS website) spawned by this conversation as well as my own curiosity. I was trying to remember Jonathan's prayer, which I thought was good, and how it may have offended LDS. Not trying to be confrontational, but what did he say that would have been in conflict with what they believe? Based on the couple pieces I read...they seem to fundamentally believe Christ is the Savior sent by God to suffer and die for our sins; hence being the way to eternal life. What did I miss (or in my case, forget) that Jonathan prayed which would conflict?

https://ca.churchofjesuschrist.org/what ... sus-christ
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Should take the discussion on the differences in us and LDS to one of our non sports tread?

I hope B12 eyeballs were on the passion we/LYH have for big time football. I could see us averaging 40k with a steady dose of BYU, Baylor, WVA, TCU etc. Stadium is made for TV.
Liberty22, Ill flame, LUOrange and 1 others liked this
By Humble_Opinion
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote:Should take the discussion on the differences in us and LDS to one of our non sports tread?

I hope B12 eyeballs were on the passion we/LYH have for big time football. I could see us averaging 40k with a steady dose of BYU, Baylor, WVA, TCU etc. Stadium is made for TV.
Yeah if we're going to go that route - happy to do it. Someone had just made a comment about BYU fans being upset by some sort of behavior, but that one by JF stuck out to me.

I love how the stadium has grown. 25K is a good number of people. Getting to 40K would be hard though imho. In the pics it looks as though ~1/3 of the upper deck on the East (Student) side was blue, which means even for a game against a top tier opponent like BYU, we had to rely on their fans to reach a "sell-out". I think we'll get there though. We just need to hope that Lynchburg and surrounding areas start to keep more of the student base.
cruzan_flame13 liked this
By cruzan_flame13
TH Spangler wrote: October 25th, 2022, 12:20 pm Should take the discussion on the differences in us and LDS to one of our non sports tread?

I did mention some time ago that LU would be a good travel partner for WVU and could bring B12 into the DMV market. I think we need to show ourselves as value, but the "no P5's" on schedule for awhile will not help with that. It sure sounds great in theory. Would be nice to play those teams every season and automatically have WVU, UCF, Baylor and TCU on the schedule. BYU could be every other season but the rivalry would be great.
Election 2022 and 2024

Then he went on to win 49 out of 50 states.

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]

UTEP

Roupe 2 HR, Wilson 1 HR, Roupe, Wilson and Madr[…]

Danner Allen

Randolph Henry and Rustburg play again Monday. I […]