Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
If you make $4 million +\ year and lose to an FCS school on Homecoming do you have to give some of it back?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Y’all wanted Hampton. Now you got him. Enjoy
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Look who is leading a long drive
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: October 15th, 2022, 6:19 pm Look who is leading a long drive
If he'd played anywhere near decent for most of the game we wouldn't have needed that long drive. Should have been up at least two TD's by that point. Between the two he's probably our better option, only based on experience.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
flamehunter wrote: October 15th, 2022, 6:57 pm
Purple Haize wrote: October 15th, 2022, 6:19 pm Look who is leading a long drive
If he'd played anywhere near decent for most of the game we wouldn't have needed that long drive. Should have been up at least two TD's by that point. Between the two he's probably our better option, only based on experience.
If the receivers would Ave just caught the passes that hit them in their hands LU WOULD have been up by several TD’s
But yeah Bennet has showed he’s the best of the 2 options. He’s like a Chevy Lumina. Not flashy but can get you to Point A to Point B fairly reliably
By cruzan_flame13
Someine mentiomed that JB is a FCS qb. He had some moments, but he is not a consistent qb who will help us. Love him as a person and leader on the team, but that is it. He's the RGIII (to Lamar Jackson) to Brewer/Salter. By the way, has anyone checked in with Ballcoach?
Purple Haize, Liberty22 liked this
By CCWMichael
Douglas quickly becoming one of my least favorite running backwards, mishandling punts and, dropping wide open passes kinda players.
Now Dae Dae ..... thinking on the field .... loving him more
By Ill flame
Bennett would be a pretty solid fcs qb imo. Unfortunately for him this isn't fcs. Hampton keeps getting chances and proving he's not the guy yet. I'm not sure what people want. All we can do is ride it out with the players we have. Two more highly ranked QBs are coming in next year to back up Salter and Hampton. We just have to give this coaching staff time to develop these young guys. We wouldn't have won this game last year with this many injuries. Our (inexperienced) depth keeps winning games for us somehow. I would like to add that we would likely be the favorite for a NY6 bowl if we were in C-USA this year.
By tyndal23
My critique isn’t with JB. My criticism is last few games, we play teams that we could easily establish run and then get open throws. We keep passing to set up run Regardless of opposition talent. iF they load the box make them stop you anyway, if they do, short pass to outside ( like we waited until 10 minutes in the game to start going to 2 cats that are fastest on the field - Shedro and Demario ). Then take a occasional pop over the top. Sneak your tight end right down the seam after a 1 second chip block. ( we only use in TE in red zone ). Freeze called a bomb on 2nd and 3 with under 5 minutes left against an FCS tired defense and a QB that isn’t consistent or receivers that drop balls all game - that was idiotic a d I am sure he will be first to admit it - a Jimbo Fisher call - the OC part of his brain has been taking over HC part of his brain...that said, can’t wait to see is play and coach up for BYU.
flameshaw liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Ill flame wrote: October 15th, 2022, 9:05 pm Bennett would be a pretty solid fcs qb imo. Unfortunately for him this isn't fcs. Hampton keeps getting chances and proving he's not the guy yet. I'm not sure what people want. All we can do is ride it out with the players we have. Two more highly ranked QBs are coming in next year to back up Salter and Hampton. We just have to give this coaching staff time to develop these young guys. We wouldn't have won this game last year with this many injuries. Our (inexperienced) depth keeps winning games for us somehow. I would like to add that we would likely be the favorite for a NY6 bowl if we were in C-USA this year.
You are 100% correct. You gotta play with who you have. And with who they have Bennett is by far the best choice. Hampton has been given his chances to show something but hasn’t. All Bennett has done is showed maturity, not pouted when pulled and won ball games. He’s done what you asked. Give the kid a break. He’s obviously been recruited over but stuck around. He will spend his entire career as a steady hand not flashy back up. Kudos to him.
LU will need Brewer to get the rust off and timing back quickly to have a chance against The Mormon Kitties, not to get embarrassed by The Hogs, to beat Tech and win the Bowl game
Baybird liked this
By tyndal23
Purple Haize wrote: October 15th, 2022, 9:29 pm
Ill flame wrote: October 15th, 2022, 9:05 pm Bennett would be a pretty solid fcs qb imo. Unfortunately for him this isn't fcs. Hampton keeps getting chances and proving he's not the guy yet. I'm not sure what people want. All we can do is ride it out with the players we have. Two more highly ranked QBs are coming in next year to back up Salter and Hampton. We just have to give this coaching staff time to develop these young guys. We wouldn't have won this game last year with this many injuries. Our (inexperienced) depth keeps winning games for us somehow. I would like to add that we would likely be the favorite for a NY6 bowl if we were in C-USA this year.
You are 100% correct. You gotta play with who you have. And with who they have Bennett is by far the best choice. Hampton has been given his chances to show something but hasn’t. All Bennett has done is showed maturity, not pouted when pulled and won ball games. He’s done what you asked. Give the kid a break. He’s obviously been recruited over but stuck around. He will spend his entire career as a steady hand not flashy back up. Kudos to him.
LU will need Brewer to get the rust off and timing back quickly to have a chance against The Mormon Kitties, not to get embarrassed by The Hogs, to beat Tech and win the Bowl game
And as always, I agree with PH.
By LUOrange
I think JB, Salter, and Hampton all would've and/or would be playing better had they been groomed as the starter during camp. But they weren't and Brewer was, who obviously went down to a freak injury. That said, I'm surprised at how inconsistent JB has been this year, especially within each game, as I thought he played well last year when he came in (twice in relief roles). I still think the jury is out on Hampton, as IMO he hasn't had an adequate shot yet. Freeze keeps him on a much shorter leash than JB. I'd like to see how well he'd actually do when actually given more of an opportunity.

JB doesn't appear to have the stamina or football mental toughness for a whole game. He goes through spurts of playing well then looking pathetic, and he seems to play especially well after being pulled and re-inserted. Maybe the solution with the JB-Hampton combo is to start and play JB the majority of the game, but to insert Hampton for a few consecutive drives each half in order for the coaches to coach JB up.

Hopefully, Brewer will be ready to go next week and we'll be better for it. I'll also add that I'm a huge fan of JB and Hampton.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
I’m torn because I think JB would be a better player now in the 2nd half of the season if he had been given the leash to learn how to pull himself out of these ruts that he gets into every game. I also think we could very easily have dropped another game or two if he had been left in when he was floundering. Seems like Freeze and co have chosen wins over development. Can’t say I blame them, but it’s gotta be killer for the kids’ confidence.
LUOrange liked this
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
JB started 6-13 with the 1 TD & 2 Picks. After he was reinserted he finished 11-17 which included that game-winning drive. His 3rd down run was also clutch in the 4th quarter. I'm not saying he proved himself as consistent or above average. All that really matters for this game is he overcame adversity and finished the game strong enough to help us win. For that, I am proud. I don't know what happened between Dae Dae & HCHF but we missed him greatly in the first half. To be 6-1 while playing quarterback musical chairs is quite remarkable. We all could point out this & that regarding frustrations but I think we all can hear & see the frustrations in HCHF too. Rejoice in the fact that we are 6-1 & both JMU & Coastal lost today!

GO FLAMES!
By tyndal23
FlamesHighontheTide wrote: October 15th, 2022, 11:04 pm JB started 6-13 with the 1 TD & 2 Picks. After he was reinserted he finished 11-17 which included that game-winning drive. His 3rd down run was also clutch in the 4th quarter. I'm not saying he proved himself as consistent or above average. All that really matters for this game is he overcame adversity and finished the game strong enough to help us win. For that, I am proud. I don't know what happened between Dae Dae & HCHF but we missed him greatly in the first half. To be 6-1 while playing quarterback musical chairs is quite remarkable. We all could point out this & that regarding frustrations but I think we all can hear & see the frustrations in HCHF too. Rejoice in the fact that we are 6-1 & both JMU & Coastal lost today!

GO FLAMES!
We as fans keep forgetting the injury tent for RB’s and Receivers - easy to focus on QB, but play calling and game strategy with 2 backs ( first few games ) and downed receivers past few - also factor in. Our D has saved us to date, but we have been stressing them way too much past 3 games, time for O to establish a run identity with our 3 ( now ) healthy backs and max out our 1 on 1 after the run is established.
By rtb72
Had to sleep on this one first....Left a game we won feeling like we lost, but really, after looking at all the players we had out on both sides....we pulled it out against a good FCS team. I agree with all the comments about Bennett being the one for now, and that a little breather to coach him up helped. I also don't think he bears all the onus for last night. Penalties, porous defense, dropped passes; there were a lot of areas in which we did not perform, but in reflection...we got the dub! Not only that....Coastal lost, the arrogant JMU Dookies got beat....and the "Tide is out". Headed back home happy to be bowl eligible!
By LUalum12
Registration Days Posts
The game was ugly no doubt but we won. However, I agree it felt like a loss. I think we have all been spoiled to have an NFL caliber QB leading the flames the last few years and now reality has set in. I think Salter with experience and good health can be a great QB. I think Brewer if he can get healthy can make a difference in the last handful of games as well as a bowl. Please understand I love JB and Nate but neither are going to succeed at this level. Both looked completely lost at times against an FCS opponent. I am not sure if its lack of preparation, film study, effort or a combination but its clear they are not ready for FBS in my opinion. I think Woodrum, Buckshot and Malik all played solid QB over the last 10 years and we expect more of the same with everyone that plays QB at LU. You can throw in Mike Brown as well, exceptional QB. Its not being harsh or disrespectful. Its just facts. If we do not have better QB play in the next few weeks, we will get embarrassed on the field. I am praying for all the young men that they can keep their heads up and not get discouraged. GO FLAMES!
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I am not prepared to write off Nate. He has exceptionally limited experience and plenty of time to develop, With JB, we basically know what we have for better or worse. I think he can be a serviceable leader but he is not going to carry the team on his shoulders to victory. I believe he is still a valuable albeit limited asset.
Ill flame, Baybird liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: October 16th, 2022, 9:41 am I am not prepared to write off Nate. He has exceptionally limited experience and plenty of time to develop, With JB, we basically know what we have for better or worse. I think he can be a serviceable leader but he is not going to carry the team on his shoulders to victory. I believe he is still a valuable albeit limited asset.
I have no idea what Hampton can/can’t do in the future. But right now JB is the better option of the two. And right now is the only thing that matters
By LUOrange
Purple Haize wrote: October 16th, 2022, 10:36 am
Sly Fox wrote: October 16th, 2022, 9:41 am I am not prepared to write off Nate. He has exceptionally limited experience and plenty of time to develop, With JB, we basically know what we have for better or worse. I think he can be a serviceable leader but he is not going to carry the team on his shoulders to victory. I believe he is still a valuable albeit limited asset.
I have no idea what Hampton can/can’t do in the future. But right now JB is the better option of the two. And right now is the only thing that matters
IMO Hampton definitely has a much higher ceiling than JB. However, you're correct on the current assessment considering that Freeze has more faith in JB right now. However, going forward this season, we need both. JB hasn't been able to stay consistent for an entire half, much less an entire game. So without Brewer or Salter, you need to Hampton to give JB breaks for Freeze, Austin and Harris to coach him back up.
flamehunter liked this
By g-webb1994
Registration Days Posts
Stopping by to wish y'all good luck the rest of the way. Proud of our guys effort, hopefully we can spin it into winning our next four and the Big South autobid.

Beat the s--- out of Elohim Saturday. Please. :D Make them all wish that they had married three extra wives each by the end of the game.
Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]