Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Ill flame
Marshall lost to NC State 48-41 and Fresno state lost to Wyoming 24-19. That leaves LU, JMU and Air Force as the last undefeated G5s. Air Force plays Wyoming next week so they are likely to lose that game and JMU isnt bowl eligible so they are irrelevant. Enough chaos is happening around us, we just need to keep winning and everything should fall into place for a NY6 bowl.
By Ill flame
FPI still has us with the highest chance to win out among G5s at 21.6%. Marshall, Wyoming and Memphis lost this week which likely eliminates them from NY6 contention. Below is the list of teams that have one loss or less ordered by projected number of wins including a potential conference championship game according to FPI.

Liberty: 11.5
Air Force: 10.8
Fresno St: 10.0
Toledo: 10.0
Miami (OH): 10.0
Tulane: 9.9
Georgia St: 7.9

At this point the MAC and sunbelt are effectively out of it. Air Force is currently ranked 131 in SOS with no P5 games on the schedule so if they lose a game while we are undefeated the committee can't use SOS as an excuse to rank them over us but they are the team I'm most concerned with right now. If they win out they will 100% get that slot above us. I think Fresno st or Tulane might get it above us if they were to win out with one loss but that's not a given.
By AATL
Ill flame wrote:At this point the MAC and sunbelt are effectively out of it.
Special thanks to our Harrisonburg neighbors for running over the SBC while being bowl ineligible.
alabama24, Liberty22 liked this
By Humble_Opinion
Registration Days Posts
AATL wrote:
Ill flame wrote:At this point the MAC and sunbelt are effectively out of it.
Special thanks to our Harrisonburg neighbors for running over the SBC while being bowl ineligible.
Yeah I'll be honest it sucks for them. I don't like JMU at all - I think they're a bombastic, elitist and snobby fanbase; however, they're a top G5 team for sure and they looked pretty good rolling over Ga Southern Saturday.

I don't know much about Eric Cignetti, but surely that guy is going to garner some interests from P5 programs looking to level up, right?
By AATL
I've been enjoying Bill Connelly's weekly ranking of the remaining undefeated teams. This week he picked a "Midseason MVP" for each of the 11 remaining teams and I thought his choice was interesting:
Midseason MVP: CB Kobe Singleton. Despite head coach Jamey Chadwell's offensive bona fides, the Flames' defense has been their best unit this season, ranking 18th in yards allowed per possession (1.4) and forcing three-and-outs 44% of the time (fourth). The run defense has been a little bit bend-don't-break. Despite an iffy pass rush, the secondary has dominated. Liberty ranks ninth in passing success rate involved and 12th in raw QBR allowed, and no secondary in the country is making more havoc plays (pass defended, TFLs and forced fumbles). Singleton, a Southern Utah transfer, has allowed completions on just 13 of 32 passes with one touchdown while picking off three passes.

LUOrange, Baybird, Dalegarz1 and 2 others liked this
By LUOrange
TH Spangler wrote: October 21st, 2023, 10:52 pm ODU is on a roll. Just knocked off App State. If ODU wins next week we have a big time game looming.
ODU beating Appy and UNCC beating ECU doesn't help our "tougher" non-conference schedule next year. :dontgetit :D
By rtb72
Not sure where to put this, so...

Is Brendan Schlitter expected to return later this season? The only information I recall was "lower body" injury and I've seen him on the sidelines with his leg brace. Kinda hoping we might have him back for a CCG or bowl game.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
My memory indicates that initially he was pronounced out for the season. I assume they are pursuing a medical redshirt for him at this stage.
rtb72 liked this
By A Sea of Red
Posts Custom
We've reported since the injury that he will miss the "majority of the season." Meaning, there's a chance for a return. Same goes for Vaughn Blue. Highly unlikely Brendan pursues a medical redshirt but that option is available.
rtb72 liked this
By AATL
Bill Connelly released a breakdown of all the conference races, including a breakdown of the teams still in contention, a list of key remaining games, and a written analysis of what to expect for each conference. Here's the totality of his CUSA analysis:
Liberty is far better than anyone else in this conference. That's pretty much everything you need to know here.
Link ($): https://www.espn.com/college-football/i ... sman-watch
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
AATL wrote: October 30th, 2023, 11:47 am Bill Connelly released a breakdown of all the conference races, including a breakdown of the teams still in contention, a list of key remaining games, and a written analysis of what to expect for each conference. Here's the totality of his CUSA analysis:
Liberty is far better than anyone else in this conference. That's pretty much everything you need to know here.
Link ($): https://www.espn.com/college-football/i ... sman-watch
ODU just beat App State and then took JMU to the wire on the road. They're envious of our budget and an in state rivalry is building. They'll be coming to Lynchburg with a chip on their shoulder. UMASS put a Smack Down on Army this week. Army scored late to make it look more respectable than it was. And UTEP has been losing some close ones. Win these and we'll be ranked. Not going to be easy.
LUOrange liked this
By Ill flame
Jacksonville st is giving South Carolina a run for their money right now leading 28-21 late in the 3rd quarter. If they can pull off the win that would be huge for our SOS. In other news SHSU is losing 21-7 at halftime to kennesaw state who is one of the worst FCS schools in the country this year.
By Ill flame
Army is up 17-0 on air force and is already wearing down their defense late in the 1st quarter.
Kricket liked this
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
Ill flame wrote: November 4th, 2023, 3:06 pm Army is up 17-0 on air force and is already wearing down their defense late in the 1st quarter.
Just saw this. Shocking.
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
Well Jacksonville State just spoiled their chance at the upset with a pick six.
By Ill flame
Honestly just playing a close game to the #43 team in FPI should improve their FPI ranking a lot which still helps even if a win would've been much better. Regardless army is up 23-3 over AF heading into halftime. If they can hold on that is a much bigger deal for our NY6 chances.
By Ill flame
It's early but ECU is up 10-0 over Tulane with the ball heading into the second quarter.
By Ill flame
Army just got an interception with less than 5 minutes left up 23-3. That effectively ices the game. Now we just need Tulane to lose again and we control our own destiny.
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
Can we all just take a moment and appreciate the fact that it was just a few years ago that outsiders were telling us we didn’t belong in FBS. “What have they done in FCS”. Yet here we are, from the moment we hit the field as an FBS member we’ve been one of the top G5 teams each season. We’re on the cusp of a NY6 bowl. If this is a dream…. Don’t wake me up.
Kricket, Ill flame, ATrain liked this
Danner Allen

Struck out 22 batters and Randolph-Henry def[…]

UTEP

Roupe 2 HR, Wilson 1 HR, Roupe, Wilson and Madrey[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double-hocke[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1783905706782[…]