Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
Liberty22 wrote: November 4th, 2023, 11:05 pm Can we all just take a moment and appreciate the fact that it was just a few years ago that outsiders were telling us we didn’t belong in FBS. “What have they done in FCS”. Yet here we are, from the moment we hit the field as an FBS member we’ve been one of the top G5 teams each season. We’re on the cusp of a NY6 bowl. If this is a dream…. Don’t wake me up.
Outsiders? Are people on this board outsiders? :lol:

I don’t know if we’re on the cusp of a NY6 bowl. There’s still plenty of football left. We certainly have a shot, but I’m not that confident that we don’t have a loss or two left in us.

Either way, I’m with you that we should feel blessed with every game we win. I legitimately believe we can say with a straight face that we have a realistic shot at making the CFP for the next few years. Hopefully transfers on the defensive side of the ball are paying attention to the opportunity we have!
Liberty22 liked this
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Outsiders??? There were people on this board **cough*ME**cough** that said the same thing. I think a NY6 game is still a long shot but it's nice to see us still playing well in November. Last year's ending really left a sour taste in my mouth so it's nice to have a nice run here.
Liberty22, Baybird liked this
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
Hahaha yes some insiders too but it feels better to prove the outsiders wrong. Although some of y’all….. haha
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
We are longshots for a NY6 game but, the very fact that we are even having that kind of a conversation is remarkable. Just as remarkable is the job Coach Chadwell has done in unifying this team after such drastic turnover from last season. The future is bright.
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
This makes me so excited for the possibilities next year! Not that I’m not excited for this year too. :lol:

By Ill flame
Kricket wrote: November 5th, 2023, 9:52 pm This makes me so excited for the possibilities next year! Not that I’m not excited for this year too. :lol:

The best part is without the PAC 12 and the top 6 conference champs getting a berth we don't even have to be the top G5 champ next year to make a CFP. If we go undefeated (which will probably be even harder with a giant target on our back) we will control our own destiny. I doubt it stays that way in the long term but we'll see. Regardless I'm excited for the new CFP format. All of those first round games would be fun to watch.
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... nment/amp/

It looks like we for sure will have 2 G5 conference winners for the next two years unless the PAC two claim they’re a conference… which it sounds like technically they could and claim an auto spot between them, but more than likely they will join the MWC.

After that the media deal is going to be renegotiated. I don’t know what type of power G5s have but technically they will have more conferences than the P4 so perhaps there will be some negotiations to keep the 6 autos.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
I think the Pac2 wants to join the MWC and rebrand it as the new Pac12.

But same effect to what you’re describing. Carry on.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Some of those "outsiders" were on this board, regularly.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
If not a NY6 this year, would love to play a 6 or 7 win P5 team like Auburn. But I'm guessing it will be JMU in Myrtle Beach. If we're both unbeaten it would get good TV ratings. Driving distance and good local interest from Coastal fans.
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote: November 6th, 2023, 5:02 pm If not a NY6 this year, would love to play a 6 or 7 win P5 team like Auburn. But I'm guessing it will be JMU in Myrtle Beach. If we're both unbeaten it would get good TV ratings.
I'd love to play JMU if they are undefeated. It loses a lot of it's luster if they are not.

If we both are unbeaten it would essentially be a G5 Championship game and a winnable one at that. After NY6, that might be the best case scenario for us.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote: November 6th, 2023, 5:02 pm If not a NY6 this year, would love to play a 6 or 7 win P5 team like Auburn. But I'm guessing it will be JMU in Myrtle Beach. If we're both unbeaten it would get good TV ratings. Driving distance and good local interest from Coastal fans.
JMU is ineligible for a bowl, and their wavier request was denied by NCAA. (but they are still crying and begging.)
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: November 6th, 2023, 5:16 pm
TH Spangler wrote: November 6th, 2023, 5:02 pm If not a NY6 this year, would love to play a 6 or 7 win P5 team like Auburn. But I'm guessing it will be JMU in Myrtle Beach. If we're both unbeaten it would get good TV ratings. Driving distance and good local interest from Coastal fans.
JMU is ineligible for a bowl, and their wavier request was denied by NCAA. (but they are still crying and begging.)
Appears there will not be enough 6 win teams. They'll probably play.
By LUOrange
Something to ponder. Is it better to go to a NY6 and possibly/probably get stomped by a good P5 and finish 13-1? Or is it better to finish 14-0 in a mid-tiered Bowl or CUSA Bowl?

I think I'd rather finish 14-0 vs a mid to low P5 or a decent G5. Also, in some ways, I selfishly want the Bahamas Bowl this year since it's being held in Charlotte, but he down side is we'll get stuck with a MAC school again. But JMU in Myrtle would be a great consolation.
Last edited by LUOrange on November 7th, 2023, 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cider Jim liked this
By Ill flame
NY6:
-Tulane vs USC got 4 million viewers despite being lowest viewed NY6 in history.
-January 1st bowl gives us roughly a full month of extra practices to develop our young players
-shows recruits what we can achieve and that our aspirations aren't all talk
-Likely to lose

G5 Bowl:
-our cure bowl win vs Coastal carolina got 2.6 million viewers and that was the most watched bowl between two G5 schools in years.
- likely only two weeks of practice before bowl. Only one week at most would be focused on player development vs game preparation.
- recruits may get the impression that the path to a CFP will be easier in another G5 conference if we finish undefeated and still can't get to a NY6.
-Much more likely to win but we'll still play a good G5 that will be motivated to ruin our perfect season so that win is far from guaranteed.

I think going to a NY6 bowl and potentially getting crushed is the better outcome for the longterm trajectory of this program. There are just way more pros than cons in my mind. Exposure is way higher, more practice time, better recruiting and it'll get the fanbase engaged better than anything else we can do. And of course there's always the possibility of us winning, however unlikely. Gotta get there first though.
LUOrange, Liberty22 liked this
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
I vote NY6.

How did Tulane do? :dontgetit
By AATL
Adam Rittenberg gave Quinton Cooley some nice praise in his "Ten most underrated transfer portal moves" ESPN+ article today. Love to see it.
"He'll come out for like two plays and then go right back in; his toughness has been just unbelievable," Liberty coach Jamey Chadwell told me. "The last three, four weeks, he's carried the ball a bunch and just keeps getting stronger. Sometimes when you have to read this and RPO that, the quarterback sometimes can melt down. We've been able to turn around and hand the ball off to him, and he's averaging 5, 6 yards a carry. "
Link to full article ($): https://www.espn.com/college-football/i ... ves-season
tyndal23, flamehunter liked this
By jmclaughlin
Who is making the trek to El Paso?
Have a feeling it will feel lonely in the stands. Everyone can lay claim to their own section.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I am passing and waiting for the bowl. The flights to ELP are just too expensive from either Houston airport. And that is a whopper of a drive for me.
By jmclaughlin
The opportunity to see us finish a perfect regular season is just too good to pass up.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
It is roughly the same price for me to fly to LYH as to ELP. I kept hoping Southwest or United would do a fare drop but no airline discounts around holidays. Checking Google Maps, it is a shade under an 11-hour drive for me to get to the Sun Bowl. Texas is a whole other country.

Most bowl projections have us going to the Cotton if we land the NY6 G5 slot or possibly the Fiesta. I have covered both back in the day with the Horns. Most everyone else seems to think we are headed to New Orleans. Both are driveable for me. If they send us back to Florida as a few projections indicate, it is a flight for me as well.
jmclaughlin, LUOrange liked this
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
Happy Thanksgiving 🦃 ya filthy animals. Much to be thankful as flames fans this year!
jmclaughlin liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
If I see 1 more bowl projection that has Liberty playing JMU, Troy or Coastal Carolina, I may enter transfer portal and go take piano lessons.
We deserve much better . I will boycott any bowl game, unless it's with a Power 5 team, or in Alabama. :football
Election 2022 and 2024

If there is a debate, it probably should be betwee[…]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]

UTEP

Roupe 2 HR, Wilson 1 HR, Roupe, Wilson and Madr[…]

Danner Allen

Randolph Henry and Rustburg play again Monday. I […]