Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Have_a_Gansett_2011
Feels like there isn't much to say or learn from this week. I'm grateful for another week off for Salter and Brewer and still netting an 18pt win. The fumble was disappointing, and after the game Coach said the last UMass TD was due to all the young guys and walk-ons being in there.

First quarter was utterly maddening. JB settled down in the second half, but I think the sample we got from Nate showed me that his ceiling is much higher than JB.

I'm looking forward to Homecoming for working out procedural kinks, getting healthy, and seeing a team ready for the stretch run going forward. I think all of our games are gettable if we get the same defensive effort and good, healthy QB play from Salter or Brewer. 9-10 wins feels very much in reach for our guys.
By tyndal23
I hate cheap points hurting our defensive ranking, but sort of like our stats lie when it comes to next opponent. The opposing fan base scratching their head weekly on eight 3 & outs from a D ranked middle of the pack. Love watching our D play.last 3 years. Impressed with our Offense today - looked like our 2020 where we started imposing our will 2nd quarter on. JB did opposite of Akron - reversed his nap time and made it a much shorter nap. He threw some really nice balls and made great decisions. Receivers robbed him of three completions. Stop running Nate - it was a nice gimmick red zone for 1 game - let him hand off or sling it. No more designed runs. TJ Green - good time to have him back - will be huge for keeping RB room fresh for our P5 stretch. Would like to see us be about 70/30 run to pass last half of season. We keep coming out pass heavy 1st Qtr - no need. Makes it easier on our QB ‘s if we establish run earlier in game. Solid W.
By Ill flame
tyndal23 wrote: October 8th, 2022, 8:50 pm I hate cheap points hurting our defensive ranking,
If it makes you feel any better all advanced metrics such as FPI and SP+ tosses out trash time stats. Does anyone really look at straight points against to determine how good a defense is anymore? It feels like ERA in baseball.
By tyndal23
Ill flame wrote: October 9th, 2022, 12:19 am
tyndal23 wrote: October 8th, 2022, 8:50 pm I hate cheap points hurting our defensive ranking,
If it makes you feel any better all advanced metrics such as FPI and SP+ tosses out trash time stats. Does anyone really look at straight points against to determine how good a defense is anymore? It feels like ERA in baseball.
It doesn’t really make me feel better - I will stick with stats vs reality - reality is LU has a great D and only time I was upset with them was last week - way too overaggressive and it burned them. Rest is occasional bad calls with a missed tackle giving up a big play or occasional confusion ending in a big pass play, in return we get a ton of TFL, Sacks,Picks,Forced Fumbles...and of course the LU first drive “figuring it out drive “ that has been a bad staple, but other than that - a scary and dominator D.
By rtb72
I don't think we can start off so slow against BYU, Arkansas, and VT. With UMass...we were able to get ourselves together and had time to "settle down" and finally move the ball. The aforementioned teams, VT possibly not withstanding, will not be quite as "forgiving" to a start that is totally unproductive. We need to be on our game from the start!
TH Spangler liked this
By Ill flame

Thought this was interesting. I didn't get to watch the umass game but Bennett had a respectable Stateline. Like last week he's doing all we need him to
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
That graphic looks too much like math class! :dontgetit
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: October 9th, 2022, 7:31 pm No it’s not.

But we are better than JMU, I believe.
1- Consider the Source
2- I wish they were Bowl eligible so LU could play them in a Bowl. It would be nearly impossible for them to back out of that match up
By tyndal23
Regardless, extremely impressive with no transition or you can take the view that G5 sucks and it really isn’t that big of a deal - I trend toward the latter...
By Humble_Opinion
Registration Days Posts
JMU hasn't played anyone yet other than App St., which was a good win for them at the time. However, they have looked pretty good in all of their wins. Personally, I think they would have an edge on us because our QB play has just been too inconsistent up to this point. If JB settles in, or Brewer/Salter come back healthy and do the same then I think we take it. Our D is just too good.

It will be interesting to see how JMU fares against Louisville in a few weeks, assuming they continue to look good in the games they're favored in.
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
JMU's win over app st. doesn't look as good as it did a few weeks ago. App State just got smacked by Texas State. For JMU to be ranked in the top 25 is an absolute garbage moment for this college football season. I was glad to see the coaches poll didn't rank them at all.
LUOrange liked this
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
FlamesHighontheTide wrote: October 10th, 2022, 10:03 am JMU's win over app st. doesn't look as good as it did a few weeks ago.
The question is, who do Flame fans root for later in the semester when JMU plays Coastal? I don't like either team! :nono
Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double-h[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]