Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By CCWMichael
Screws coming out Wednesday and he is clamoring to get into the mix this weekend. I love it. Not sure it may be the smartest move but he is driven. That is football. Brewer needs to fill his resume fast and he knows it. Ever read about Jason Taylor and what he went thru to keep playing...... and he is just one story.
I bet Hugh wants him back but I am confident that the will wait till the doc gives an all clear.
Brewer for BYU with a runner to back him up could not be hurtful.
My guess is he will get some time against GW to get his eyes ready if we can.
LUOrange liked this
By LUOrange
I'm hoping JB and Hampton get most or all of the reps vs. UMass this Saturday. We need Salter to heal some more. If Brewer does get back early, I agree, the GW game would be good for him to get some reps. I'd love to see each QB to get at least a quarters worth of PT each against the Runnin' Bulldogs. As far as I'm concerned, we need Brewer and Salter as healthy as possible, and JB and Hampton both better prepared for the stretch run starting with BYU.
CCWMichael liked this
By willflop
I've never broken a finger so I can't relate to getting pins pulled, but it does seem like he's a little optimistic. From what I've read, you may still need PT post pin removal to get normal hand movement back. I suppose each case is different, but I hope it works out.
CCWMichael liked this
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I do understand Brewer wanting to get some in some reps prior to BYU. Knocking some rust off might be helpful.
By Humble_Opinion
Registration Days Posts
To be honest, I sort of thought one of the three back-ups would have played well enough up to this point to warrant them keeping the starting role. Not sure that's the case though. Brewer may have claim to the QB1 spot. Does anyone know if he's been going to the games? Not sure I've spotted him on the sidelines at this point over the past few weeks.
CCWMichael liked this
By willflop
Humble_Opinion wrote:To be honest, I sort of thought one of the three back-ups would have played well enough up to this point to warrant them keeping the starting role. Not sure that's the case though. Brewer may have claim to the QB1 spot. Does anyone know if he's been going to the games? Not sure I've spotted him on the sidelines at this point over the past few weeks.
Same here, I thought we might be in a pickle. Do you bench a guy that may be just getting into a flow and has a future at LU with a guy that will play five games and be done for his career? But with how things have shaken out, it doesn't seem like it's even debatable anymore if the injury doesn't hold Brewer back.

Not sure about the away games, but I've seen CB at both home games walking around the sideline.
CCWMichael liked this
By LUDad
Humble_Opinion wrote: October 4th, 2022, 1:12 pm To be honest, I sort of thought one of the three back-ups would have played well enough up to this point to warrant them keeping the starting role. Not sure that's the case though. Brewer may have claim to the QB1 spot. Does anyone know if he's been going to the games? Not sure I've spotted him on the sidelines at this point over the past few weeks.
I don't believe anyone should lose their starting role through an injury. If their play is not up to par after returning, then make the change. *Edit* Tom Brady was a one off...
By LUDad
Any chance for a medical redshirt?
“the NCAA has two requirements for a medical redshirt; the injury must have occurred in the first half of the season, and the athlete must have competed in less than 30 percent of the season. You must provide documentation of the injury, and it must be considered season-ending.”
By cruzan_flame13
LUDad wrote: November 5th, 2022, 8:48 pm Any chance for a medical redshirt?
“the NCAA has two requirements for a medical redshirt; the injury must have occurred in the first half of the season, and the athlete must have competed in less than 30 percent of the season. You must provide documentation of the injury, and it must be considered season-ending.”

The other Bennett in Athens, GA has been in college for like 8 years it seems so why not :lol:
By Ill flame
Do we want him back? Salter and Hampton will have another off season of development under their belt and Bennett seems to be establishing himself as the reliable but not flashy qb that many of us thought he would be before the dumpster fire of a start to his season. Plus we have 2 more relatively highly rated qbs coming in. How many scholarship qbs do we want to have?
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
Mixed emotions for Charlie. Obviously, we feel for the kid and how this season has turned out for him personally regarding playing time. Yet, none of us will complain about being 8-1. It is life and things don't always work out the way we desire. All in God's providence though. At least Charlie is part of the first-ever LU team to beat BYU & an SEC team.
Liberty22, JK37 liked this
By LUDad
Ill flame wrote: November 5th, 2022, 9:15 pm Do we want him back? Salter and Hampton will have another off season of development under their belt and Bennett seems to be establishing himself as the reliable but not flashy qb that many of us thought he would be before the dumpster fire of a start to his season. Plus we have 2 more relatively highly rated qbs coming in. How many scholarship qbs do we want to have?
After this season, I don't think you have too many quality QB's. He was a big talent that gave us a shot, but just got hurt. I think if he can qualify for it, he should get it. He also knows the system now.
By cruzan_flame13
LUDad wrote: November 6th, 2022, 5:07 pm
Ill flame wrote: November 5th, 2022, 9:15 pm Do we want him back? Salter and Hampton will have another off season of development under their belt and Bennett seems to be establishing himself as the reliable but not flashy qb that many of us thought he would be before the dumpster fire of a start to his season. Plus we have 2 more relatively highly rated qbs coming in. How many scholarship qbs do we want to have?
After this season, I don't think you have too many quality QB's. He was a big talent that gave us a shot, but just got hurt. I think if he can qualify for it, he should get it. He also knows the system now.
I believe one, if not two, of the freshman qb's coming in will be enrolling for the spring semester. So they'll have a few months for studying and a little prep before the spring game. Also, Stalter will have more time to study and get familiar with the playbook as well. I'm not going to say 'forget about Brewer," however college football from his glory days at Baylor is not the same presently. Hope that he can bring experience back to the qb room, but would he want to stay longer in college? There is a good possibility that he would because his chances for the NFL are slim (looking more at the concussion issues that he had) and he's not ready to put away the cleats and pads. He may have the aspiration to make people remember him like how people are looking at Stetson Bennett right now.
By Ill flame
Unless someone transfers out in the off-season which is always a possibility we will have 4 qbs on scholarship for next year without brewer. If we add a 5th we are taking away depth from somewhere else. Assuming Bennett keeps doing what he's doing I feel pretty comfortable between him and a hopefully more mature Salter as our QBs next year. Of course if we can get someone that's a massive improvement in the portal at any position we should take him in a heart beat but i'm not convinced brewer is that guy. Unfortunately he never got that opportunity to prove it here.
By LUOrange
We've got 5 scholarship QB's now with Brewer, Bennett, Salter, Hampton, and Brown. Freeze has also said that he likes to carry at least 5 scholarship QB's. He's also said earlier this season that this was it for Brewer as far as eligibility goes

JB should have 2 more years of eligibility left and if we happen to keep both of our commitments, I'd imagine we'd lose 1 or 2 QB's. Unless, they're just Liberty through and through. Despite JB's accomplishments this year, I'd open the competition back up with all of that talent on board. It'd be another interesting spring and fall camp.
Last edited by LUOrange on November 8th, 2022, 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
By cruzan_flame13
I hope Brown transfers and get into a school that he can get chance to play. I feel bad that he's just here and not getting an opportunity.
By Ill flame
I didn't realize brown was on scholarship. That seems like an excessive number but I'm not an elite coach so I won't question it. If that's the case I hope brown transfers out since he's clearly permanently buried on the depth chart and we bring in another proven transfer to challenge Bennett and Salter during training camp.
By LUOrange
I hope we don't bring in another transfer QB. I like who we have and who's committed to being here so far. 5 three star QB's and a four star QB should be adequate.
By tyndal23
Rhule to Nebraska and ( Brewer will transfer there after getting his medical redshirt).
By AATL
I wish him the best, whether he stays, goes, or simply graduates into something other than football. I was excited to see him get the reigns this year and hated to see him suffer another significant injury.
Purple Haize liked this
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
Just wondering why he couldn’t have another year somewhere if this dude got 9 years :shock:
By Ill flame
Liberty22 wrote: December 20th, 2022, 12:47 pm Just wondering why he couldn’t have another year somewhere if this dude got 9 years :shock:
I wonder how many degrees this guy has by now.
Liberty22 liked this
By Ill flame
I just googled it. He has his bachelor's and masters. I'm kind of suprised he doesn't have more than one masters at this point.
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]