Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By tyndal23
Exactly the type of game I wanted - players have our coaches FULL ATTENTION headed to ODU. We are in a weird window where previous year ( and program/brand )means nothing due to Covid eligibility and transfer rule. MTSU perfect example. ODU is just that - loaded with new talent and a good coaching staff. Thank God for our Defense or we would be 0-4.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
LU defense is pretty good. They were on the field A LOT tonight. They play well as a unit and everyone appears to be on the same page Yes there were a couple of miscommunications but on the whole they are a Unit
Offense. Not so much. Some of it has to be because they’re on QB’s 3 and 4 but something else is going on. Can’t put my finger on it and like I said it may be mainly cause they are QB’s 3 and 4. We shall see.
LUOrange liked this
By tyndal23
Purple Haize wrote: September 24th, 2022, 10:16 pm LU defense is pretty good. They were on the field A LOT tonight. They play well as a unit and everyone appears to be on the same page Yes there were a couple of miscommunications but on the whole they are a Unit
Offense. Not so much. Some of it has to be because they’re on QB’s 3 and 4 but something else is going on. Can’t put my finger on it and like I said it may be mainly cause they are QB’s 3 and 4. We shall see.
We have had different starters at every offensive skill level every game. Along with QB issues - amazing we are 3-1 - I would argue with Scruggs last week we are 4-0. He was worth 10 points vs Hartman. In other words, we are a really good team at the core and can be deadly if healthy. If you think it’s coaching, I guess try playing 4 different QB’s with a MASH UNIT of receivers and backs every week and coming up with a game plan. ( not arguing with you, but agree it is hard to put a finger on anything when the ingredients change week to week ). I think year 4 of Culture and Conditioning have save the season so far, most teams fold...
LUOrange liked this
By CCWMichael
Purple Haize wrote: September 24th, 2022, 10:16 pm LU defense is pretty good. They were on the field A LOT tonight. They play well as a unit and everyone appears to be on the same page Yes there were a couple of miscommunications but on the whole they are a Unit
DeMario dropping wide open catches every game .... that was just snarky. It is more than that but every game he is good for dropping wide open plays.

i feel like the gill days where we play to the level of our competition but so far we are winning.

A dub is a Dub
By sstaedtler
Never play or start Jonathan Bennett again. I mean, how many games do we have to see him under 50% passing? 2 more turnovers. He stares down receivers terribly and does not feel pressure well in the pocket.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
tyndal23 wrote: September 24th, 2022, 10:28 pm I would argue with Scruggs last week we are 4-0.
TRUTH

And does anyone want to see more of Hampton and less of BJ??? I have to say, JB surprised and impressed me in the 1st quarter, but then the wheels fell off for the rest of the game, until Freeze made the GENIUS move of putting Hampton in midway into the 4th quarter! :clapping
sstaedtler, rtb72, LUOrange liked this
By Ill flame
I blame 80% of our offensive issues on the QBs. Last year our WRs weren't getting separation and our OL was terrible so the offense was a 1 man show. Now our line is actually giving the QB time to make reads and our receivers are getting separation. Unfortunately our QBs just aren't seeing the open receivers and when they do they aren't hitting them in stride. Sure there have been some drops but not enough to only score 21 against akron. Not to mention Bennett is our only qb that actually knows the playbook. Salter and Hampton are using a small portion of the playbook so hugh freeze is fighting with one hand tied behind his back.
LUOrange liked this
By rtb72
Just finished the replay without having the knowledge of outcome. Had to go to a wedding, which I normally hate during football season. THANK HEAVENS for the wedding and my ultimate absence from the game! The penalties and SOME of our defensive stands saved us. Dae Dae looked pretty solid as well. I think JB is a very loyal and devoted teammate on the sidelines and in the locker room.....pretty sure that's the position he needs to have going forward.
By Ill flame
I was pleasantly suprised that we got over 20,000 in attendance for this game. Considering several of the predictions had us around 18-19k I must not be the only one to think that. I'm hoping 20,000+ becomes the new baseline against weak opponents when it isn't raining. The atmosphere seems so much better now than it did just a few years ago. I guess that's what winning does.
Purple Haize, ATrain liked this
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
I'm sure our CFAW families helped us gain a few more thousand in attendance, but I never heard how many registered for it this week.
By willflop
Defense was good, but we did give up a painful number of 3rd and longs. It also felt like a lot of plays they were scrambling around pre snap, somewhat unsure the alignment they wanted. JB was 10 of 15 and seemed to have a lot more time in the pocket to start. Something changed half way through and our pass protection collapsed. Maybe having some OL guys out contributed. He became really inaccurate on even short throws. The vibe in the stadium was a lot flatter than the rain game too, chemistry everywhere was just off.

Since Brewer went out, I've been resigned to the fact that we will be a second half of the season team. Just get scrappy wins if possible, style points will be rare. Unfortunately if Brewer can't go around BYU time, Salter is missing a ton of reps in our lighter slate of games, especially if he's out several more.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I only saw 2nd half, but problem with passing game, appeared to be too many passes to the sideline, with little or no chance for good gain on completions. Plus very small window for receivers to catch ball.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Ill flame wrote: September 25th, 2022, 2:36 am I was pleasantly suprised that we got over 20,000 in attendance for this game. Considering several of the predictions had us around 18-19k I must not be the only one to think that. I'm hoping 20,000+ becomes the new baseline against weak opponents when it isn't raining. The atmosphere seems so much better now than it did just a few years ago. I guess that's what winning does.
Myself, my husband, my mom, and my dad count as the +4. We had a couple band parents from Pennsylvania and Raleigh sitting behind us.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Very sloppy game last night. JB is not a D1 QB. Glad we FINALLY went to Hampton. Gave up too many 3 and longs on D. DL played very well and won the game for us. Hunter needs to get the ball more. JB is not a D1 QB. Good to play a bad game and still win. ODU is a good team, we need to be 100% physically to beat them. Did I mention JB is not a D1 QB?
Cider Jim liked this
By LUOrange
flameshaw wrote: September 25th, 2022, 10:26 am Very sloppy game last night. JB is not a D1 QB. Glad we FINALLY went to Hampton. Gave up too many 3 and longs on D. DL played very well and won the game for us. Hunter needs to get the ball more. JB is not a D1 QB. Good to play a bad game and still win. ODU is a good team, we need to be 100% physically to beat them. Did I mention JB is not a D1 QB?
So do you think JB's a D1 QB?
By jmclaughlin
After 4 games, we are right where we should be while sustaining more body blows than we should have to this point. Freeze and this coaching staff have done a remarkable job game planning and scheme fitting to what we have available, each week. The easy thing to do is to bark about giving JB another chance but I would disagree. You have to give JB the benefit of the doubt to show he can be the guy. He has earned that with his character and commitment to the program. We haven’t seen enough of Hampton to 2nd guess the rotation against Akron but ODU week prep will tell us a bunch if Salter is out again. Getting CJ and TJ back at full speed will help a great deal as well. Those that have said our D has won all 3 games would be 100% on point. Not giving up big chunk plays has been our strength.

In regards to Akron, yes it should have been a 3 TD victory, if we were at full strength. Also, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Akron win 50% of their games in the MAC and look more formidable than we chalked them up to be coming in. Their roster is comparable to ours. We have just had a stable staff of coaches that have created an identity for 4+ years now. Whatever we are paying Freeze is not enough.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
jmclaughlin wrote: September 25th, 2022, 4:07 pm After 4 games, we are right where we should be while sustaining more body blows than we should have to this point. Freeze and this coaching staff have done a remarkable job game planning and scheme fitting to what we have available, each week. The easy thing to do is to bark about giving JB another chance but I would disagree. You have to give JB the benefit of the doubt to show he can be the guy. He has earned that with his character and commitment to the program. We haven’t seen enough of Hampton to 2nd guess the rotation against Akron but ODU week prep will tell us a bunch if Salter is out again. Getting CJ and TJ back at full speed will help a great deal as well. Those that have said our D has won all 3 games would be 100% on point. Not giving up big chunk plays has been our strength.

JB has been given more than ample opportunity to show what he can do. He made one fantastic throw, but missed many that were wide open and threw behind is receiver, multiple times.
HF id a great coach, but he should have made the QB change at halftime. It almost cost us the game. It is always good to play a bad game and still win.

In regards to Akron, yes it should have been a 3 TD victory, if we were at full strength. Also, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Akron win 50% of their games in the MAC and look more formidable than we chalked them up to be coming in. Their roster is comparable to ours. We have just had a stable staff of coaches that have created an identity for 4+ years now. Whatever we are paying Freeze is not enough.
By Racenut
Registration Days Posts
JB is most certainly a D1 QB and he's ours. He looked pretty dang good on the first two TD's. Am I glad Coach gave Hampton a shot? Of course, but not sure he is ready. And the evidence of Hampton's 2 or 3 attempted passes is purely speculative. Talking down JB behind a keyboard is sophomoric, at best.
By LUalum12
Registration Days Posts
I don't think anyone is talking down about JB. Asking a question about if he is a D1 QB is not talking down. It's a simple question. Stats do not lie.

2022 completion % 41 .7 INT/TD 4-4

2021 completion % 45.5 INT/TD 4-4

He is no doubt a great kid and exceptional leader but that does not mean he is a D1 QB. With that being said, if he is the QB going forward I will support and pray for him because he is part of the LU family.
jinxy, LUOrange liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Racenut wrote: September 25th, 2022, 6:43 pm JB is most certainly a D1 QB and he's ours. He looked pretty dang good on the first two TD's. Am I glad Coach gave Hampton a shot? Of course, but not sure he is ready. And the evidence of Hampton's 2 or 3 attempted passes is purely speculative. Talking down JB behind a keyboard is sophomoric, at best.
Most popular player on the roster and the fan favorite is always the backup QB.
Hampton objectively showed very little if anything last night. A bunch of hand offs and designed runs off Tackle That’s the drive that got the TD. That’s it. Nothing earth shattering like when Salter came in the game
Not saying he is great or a can of paint. Just saying he really didn’t display a whole lot last night.
jmclaughlin, Ill flame liked this
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Hampton did what he was supposed to do. Ram it down their throats eat clock and score. Jb has been awful in the scrimmage, awful for 3 quarters against southern miss, awful for 2 drives against wake and awful for 2 of 3 quarters saturday.
flameshaw, Cider Jim, LUOrange and 1 others liked this
Uh… You guys like reading?

I like biographies, books about finance and human […]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

Were not done https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/s[…]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

I think we should do whatever Tech and UVA do as[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

That might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen per[…]