Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Explain to me again why we are going out of our way to accomodate this team on future schedules? It is not an accident that they chose this particular Saturday off all their home games.

phoenix liked this
By tyndal23
Ian - former AD. Pride month is June, look to see many more schools “ suddenly” have a Pride game for every LU and BYU visit...
By Just John
Registration Days Posts
Meh, let them troll. UMass is it's own entity and the leaders can make their own decisions. We just pushback on the hypocrisy when they criticize ours.
LUOrange, socal_flame liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Pride crap should be kept out of sports. I don't know why governing bodies of sports support and even encourage it.
By Tnobes
If they make all their players gay, less chance of sexual assault cases in the football program? :D
LUOrange liked this
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: September 20th, 2022, 11:01 am Explain to me again why we are going out of our way to accomodate this team on future schedules? It is not an accident that they chose this particular Saturday off all their home games.
Two thoughts:
  • 1. Every school's student body should have pride in thier fooball team :football :lol:
  • 2. Whatever it takes to get butts in seats. We know aint nobody up there showing up to watch football
LUOrange liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Does UMASS really have a large LBGQTwhatever community that follows football? While there are exceptions those 2 demographics don’t usually mix
Dalegarz1, LUOrange, Baybird and 1 others liked this
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: September 20th, 2022, 4:38 pm Does UMASS really have a large LBGQTwhatever community that follows football? While there are exceptions those 2 demographics don’t usually mix
This! Unless they have Beyonce for the halftime show, this little stunt they're pulling will result in maybe an additional 10 tickets sold.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ATrain wrote: September 20th, 2022, 5:52 pm
Purple Haize wrote: September 20th, 2022, 4:38 pm Does UMASS really have a large LBGQTwhatever community that follows football? While there are exceptions those 2 demographics don’t usually mix
This! Unless they have Beyonce for the halftime show, this little stunt they're pulling will result in maybe an additional 10 tickets sold.
Well that would probably double their attendance….
ATrain, prototype liked this
By Ill flame
It doesn't matter. LGBT people would show up to watch gladiator fights if they had a pride night and you better believe they will buy the rainbow merch. They tend to be a wealthier demographic that isn't afraid to blow money to support their cause, especially if they feel like they are getting one over on Liberty somehow. Like I said before, from a marketing perspective its not a bad strategy but they don't have the luxury of burning any bridges in the process.
By rtb72
The best way to respond to this is not to respond to it. I saw some volleys back and forth on twitter and that is EXACTLY what they want. Give them a good ole' southern, "Bless your heart", and chive on.
LUOrange, Ill flame, jinxy and 6 others liked this
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
I think they’re banking on this appealing to allies and trolls. Although if I was a member of the LGBTQ community, I’m not sure I would appreciate being used this way.
rtb72 liked this
By LUOrange
While I'm a little surprised that UMass is doing this to us, considering what appears to be a good working relationship with us. However, like many of you said, I wouldn't take the bait at this time. In the grand scheme of things, they're a useful tool cause they're no better than an FCS team but they give us an FBS win. So no complaints there. However, considering how many fanbases don't want their schools to play us because of our Christian and political beliefs. I'm with many of you, we just ignore the noise and play ball. I think that earns us more credit with other schools and most naysayers. Obviously, the vocal minorities will never be happy but so be it.
CCWMichael, sstaedtler liked this
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
While I agree with the prevailing sentiment about not engaging in banter, I go back to my original point. We are sacrificing attractive dates on the calendar to give UMass cover for a decreasing Indy world of matchups. Why are we giving them such privilege when this is how their athletic department chooses to handle the situation? This isn't students. This isn't faculty. It is the athletic department.
By BlueBlood
Maybe we are accommodating them because Ian sees possible scenarios where LU is indy again?

There are still a lot of potential future realignment moves that could leave LU in an even more depleted (and possibly unsustainable) C-USA.
LUOrange liked this
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
ATrain wrote: September 20th, 2022, 5:52 pm
I’m surprised to see you responding that way, AT
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
This seems like a great opportunity for us to be a witness and pickup an easy FBS win at the same time.

That being said, it says a lot about the U-Mass athletic department. It feels like they're using the LGBTQ+ community as a prop. Also, it's definitely an eye poke to Liberty and Liberty supporters. Not a good look either way, imo.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Any idea how the field hockey team handled it at Northwestern?
By BuryYourDuke
Registration Days Posts
I’m sure plenty of them didn’t mind…
Purple Haize, ATrain liked this
By sstaedtler
BlueBlood wrote: September 21st, 2022, 2:53 pm Maybe we are accommodating them because Ian sees possible scenarios where LU is indy again?

There are still a lot of potential future realignment moves that could leave LU in an even more depleted (and possibly unsustainable) C-USA.
Accommodating UMass from 2023-2027 is what is majorly screwing up our out of conference schedules. If we got rid of those games Ian would have so much more flexibility.
Ill flame liked this
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
No need to get defensive. Embrace your uniqueness. Be confident in what you believe. They have a right to express themselves this way. It's always interesting to engage with those of an opposing mind. Why do people believe as they do? And why are some so passionate about it? While others just seem to go along for the ride? And what do individuals really care about? Curious.
LUOrange, Baybird liked this
Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my […]

LaTech

Looks like we'll have to win with pitching cause t[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]