Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By aredd33
Registration Days Posts
As I said in the other thread I liked going for it but didn’t like the play call.
I was hoping to see the ball stay in Salter’s hands and let him make something happen by either throwing or running.
phoenix, LUOrange liked this
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
Every high school in America runs the Philly special for a 2 point play.
By LibertyD
Another crazy Freeze trick play in critical situations. I wonder if he ever practice that play. Flashback of NC State loss by 1.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
I like the decision, and I don’t mind the call. (Maybe living in Philly is getting to me!). But the execution was poor. CJ barely looked Pass, tucked it way too early. So maybe prep was the issue. Definitely execution.

All those Wake fans talking smack about WF. You just got exposed. Clemson will destroy you.
By Tnobes
We showed we were there to compete and played a heck of a game, a few plays made the difference, the holding call on rocket that took away an interception, the defensive line batted ball that turned into a salter interception which led to a wake Forrest score. Going for it was ok, if you tied it, wake was most likely going to get in field goal range anyways to win in regulation. Salter definitely improved as the game went on and competed with a good ACC team
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I have thing that much of Coach Freeze's decision to go for it was based on the fact that our secondary was gassed and Hartman had well over a minute to get into FG range. So I like him gambling.

As for the execution ...

PS - I'll bet Clawson is excited to see those final two games on the contract voided.
By LibertyD
Boys played great football. Just got let down by the Coach play call. We really needed that win! We’ll be fine! I’m proud of those boys.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
Our “special”/trick plays are just not very creative. I don’t think I’ve ever seen us fool a defense with one.

But heckuva game. If this is how we play the rest of the year, we’ve got a shot in every game on the schedule. Proud of our boys.
lueer liked this
By tyndal23
LibertyD wrote: September 17th, 2022, 8:34 pm Boys played great football. Just got let down by the Coach play call. We really needed that win! We’ll be fine! I’m proud of those boys.
Nonsense - winning against ACC might get too many fans questioning the CUSA move - the more we lose by to P5 the better...( WEF - sponsored by Pfizer ).
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote: September 17th, 2022, 8:33 pm Went toe to toe with one of the best in the ACC. This team gets better each week.
Not saying much. Outside of Clemson, the ACC absolutely sucks.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
LibertyD wrote: September 17th, 2022, 8:34 pm Boys played great football. Just got let down by the Coach play call. We really needed that win! We’ll be fine! I’m proud of those boys.
HF said postgame that wake went Zone after being man most of the game. That killed the play.

Coaching didn’t lose this game. That’s nuts.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: September 17th, 2022, 9:06 pm
HF said postgame that wake went Zone after being man most of the game. That killed the play.

Coaching didn’t lose this game. That’s nuts.
That’s a savvy move by the Wake coach
I loved going for the win
The other person with a moderate amount of coaching experience in my house did not.
But she’s more risk averse than I am.
By LUGrad2000
Registration Days Posts
Very proud of this team. Defense played great. Offense kept playing without quitting. Loved going for the win. Conversion would have been great had it worked. Their defense played it well. Worst part of the night was the ACC Network. They are beyond awful. Our production is miles ahead.
FlamesHighontheTide, rtb72, Baybird and 1 others liked this
By rtb72
Great game! LU's band, fans and student section should be really proud...because WF in those aspects was a bit...meh. Especially for homecoming. I digress; the team and staff did a great job! Nothing to be ashamed of and I am convinced our boys can compete at a high level. D was amazing. Looking forward to the rest of the season!

Wake fans were pretty nice. There were a few with "nose in the air" attitudes; they weren't ugly, but I caught a few eye rolls when I was cheering from the concourse waiting on grub.
LUOrange liked this
By Ill flame
Looking back at the stats after the game. I knew we dominating in TOS but we also dominated in yards gained 437-346. Our defense was good last year but it looks like we may end up being even better this year despite losing a ton of production from last year's team. Offense is gradually getting better. As rough as our offensive line play can be at times it is significantly improved from last year. BYU and arkansas are looking way more beatable than I thought a week ago which leaves me much more optimistic about how this season will go.
By jmclaughlin
LUGrad2000 wrote: September 17th, 2022, 9:45 pm Very proud of this team. Defense played great. Offense kept playing without quitting. Loved going for the win. Conversion would have been great had it worked. Their defense played it well. Worst part of the night was the ACC Network. They are beyond awful. Our production is miles ahead.
Flatbacks X 100
JK37 liked this
By jamesda3asu
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: September 17th, 2022, 8:33 pm I like the decision, and I don’t mind the call. (Maybe living in Philly is getting to me!). But the execution was poor. CJ barely looked Pass, tucked it way too early. So maybe prep was the issue. Definitely execution.

All those Wake fans talking smack about WF. You just got exposed. Clemson will destroy you.
Trying to remain objective but Wake looked the worst they have in years on Offense.
By jamesda3asu
Registration Days Posts
rtb72 wrote: September 17th, 2022, 10:38 pm Great game! LU's band, fans and student section should be really proud...because WF in those aspects was a bit...meh. Especially for homecoming. I digress; the team and staff did a great job! Nothing to be ashamed of and I am convinced our boys can compete at a high level. D was amazing. Looking forward to the rest of the season!

Wake fans were pretty nice. There were a few with "nose in the air" attitudes; they weren't ugly, but I caught a few eye rolls when I was cheering from the concourse waiting on grub.
To be fair Wake is the second smallest D1 University. 40k living alumni My class at Liberty was over 1/4th that
By LibertyD
Nothing nuts about it. All this going for the win in that situation was analytically incorrect. We tried it with Syracuse last year. Didn’t work with Willis. Freeze trick plays don’t work. Period. Stop being happy with less. That play was a terrible call. Our buys had momentum. If your going to go for it, call a better play! I don’t care about CUSA conference stuff. Put our boys in the best position to win every game!
LUOrange liked this
2024 Recruiting Discussion

Glad to see the staff address the height and athle[…]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

I think we should do whatever Tech and UVA do as[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

That might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen per[…]

North Carolina

We had a runner on base in the bottom of the 7th i[…]