Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
That's twice now that you reference my Baptist buddies. The context was that BYU beat Baylor last week and that the Flames could exact some revenge in the Holy War 2 at our place. No one was suggesting Baylor fans would be flying up to Lynchburg. Although they do seem to be much more aware of our presence now than they were when we rolled in McLane Stadium a few years back.

Is it a bigger deal to people living in Lynchburg to have Virginia Tech coming to Williams Stadium? Yeah, probably so. But is that the metric you want to use? The townies aren't coming to Williams Stadium without an LU degree regardless of whether we host the Hokies. If anything, they will be showing up to cheer against the Flames because their great uncle went to the school and if they personally attended a class at CVCC that is practically VT Jr. Am I right? :roll:

We are taking on a school with as a high of a national profile as VT who happen to be ridiculed for their religious distinctives. A school that has actually won something of significance in football. A team that has a national draw wherevere they travel. A team that has overcome religious bigotry to finally squeeze into a P5 conference. A team with an athletics history that we aspire to emulate.
LUOrange, Cider Jim liked this
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: September 13th, 2022, 10:34 am If anything, they will be showing up to cheer against the Flames because their great uncle went to the school and if they personally attended a class at CVCC that is practically VT Jr. Am I right? :roll:
Roast 'em, Sly! :lol:

I don't think we'll convert the locals into flames fanatics, but I can see more than a few taking on the flames for a secondary team if we can earn some respect against the big boys.
LUOrange liked this
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
Can't we all get along? :lol:
Sly Fox wrote: September 13th, 2022, 10:34 am Is it a bigger deal to people living in Lynchburg to have Virginia Tech coming to Williams Stadium? Yeah, probably so. But is that the metric you want to use?
I thought I was clear. BYU is the bigger game, but VT is more important long term for "butts in seats." And I am not just talking "Lynchburg," but "regionally."

I get picked on because I am an Alabama fan. It aint hard to be a BAMA fan these days. However, I have been a BAMA fan since I was a little boy, which has now been nearing 5 decades. Most of my life BAMA has been (to use Reece Davis' term) "ungood," but that is beside the point.

Kids grow up and "pick a team." I love Liberty, but my loyalties from childhood are hard to overcome. Liberty needs (NEEDS!) fans like me, but long term they need kids who will grow up with Liberty as their #1 team. You went to Liberty, but it doesnt appear that your children have Liberty as #1, am I right? (Where they go to school is irrelevant. I went to Liberty but BAMA is still my #1.)

Of my children, my oldest has chosen my inlaws team. My youngest appears to have choosen BAMA (!), but is probably a bit young for it to be set in stone yet. My middle son, however, has chosen... and it is LIBERTY. I am glad for it. He is all in. Playing VT is HUGE for him. Who do the kids at school root for? Most support VT. I am sure that Liberty beating VT last year has made other Liberty fans for life. Here's hoping a win at home will cement that loyalty for many, many more. :football
By Ill flame
alabama24 wrote: September 13th, 2022, 11:57 am Can't we all get along? :lol:
Sly Fox wrote: September 13th, 2022, 10:34 am Is it a bigger deal to people living in Lynchburg to have Virginia Tech coming to Williams Stadium? Yeah, probably so. But is that the metric you want to use?
I thought I was clear. BYU is the bigger game, but VT is more important long term for "butts in seats." And I am not just talking "Lynchburg," but "regionally."

I get picked on because I am an Alabama fan. It aint hard to be a BAMA fan these days. However, I have been a BAMA fan since I was a little boy, which has now been nearing 5 decades. Most of my life BAMA has been (to use Reece Davis' term) "ungood," but that is beside the point.

Kids grow up and "pick a team." I love Liberty, but my loyalties from childhood are hard to overcome. Liberty needs (NEEDS!) fans like me, but long term they need kids who will grow up with Liberty as their #1 team. You went to Liberty, but it doesnt appear that your children have Liberty as #1, am I right? (Where they go to school is irrelevant. I went to Liberty but BAMA is still my #1.)

Of my children, my oldest has chosen my inlaws team. My youngest appears to have choosen BAMA (!), but is probably a bit young for it to be set in stone yet. My middle son, however, has chosen... and it is LIBERTY. I am glad for it. He is all in. Playing VT is HUGE for him. Who do the kids at school root for? Most support VT. I am sure that Liberty beating VT last year has made other Liberty fans for life. Here's hoping a win at home will cement that loyalty for many, many more. :football
You do bring up a good point about kids just picking a seemingly random team and sticking with it. I'm from Illinois but Illinois football fans don't really exist if your not alumni, I became a fan because of the rose bowl season in 2007. Ironically I have a buddy that still roots for hawaii because of there sugar bowl season in 2007. Unfortunately we had no idea what we were getting ourselves into. It makes me wonder how many kids are growing up to be liberty fans because of that 2020 season, beating two P5s and the media darling coastal carolina. I don't know if them beating VT is enough on its own but it could certainly help.
alabama24 liked this
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
Back on topic. :wink: :lol:

Do we have any guesses for when this game might be? I have an event out of town in the morning which I cant get out of. If the game is in the evening, I am good. I would think it would be, but who knows.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
For the record, my son who is an Aggie considers Liberty & Texas A&M to be his two teams. Of course his second team used to be the Longhorns (Mrs Sly's alma mater) until he made the decision to head to College Station. He watches the Flames games with me more religiously than his own school.

My oldest daughter goes to A&M but is not a fan of any team. She was annoyed at being dragged into Kyle Field on Saturday and watched all of zero plays. Probably for the best based on what went down on the field.

My youngest is just a sophomore in HS but is all in on the Flames. Not sure where she will go to school. Scholarships and finances are big influences on all my kids.
alabama24, LUOrange liked this
By Tnobes
My number one team changes when coaches change, I have a closet full of fighting illini gear from the Ron Zook era, I have a closet full of Mississippi State gear from Dan mullen years, I have a closet full of gear from Florida State, Florida State will always be Bobby Bowdens team no matter who's coaching. And I grew up cheering for the Golden Gophers as my home team. I follow Liberty because of Hugh Freeze and the fact they are a Christian University who is actually Christian instead of Christian in name only like many many Universities these days, and I have 9 cousins who graduated from Liberty in the mid to late 80's and early 90's. I remember flying to a Liberty graduation ceremony as a kid where Jerry Folwell Sr. spoke and Jack Kemp spoke, my aunt worked on Jack Kemp's presidential campaign. So my tie to Liberty is stronger than a coach I like or my tie to my "home team"
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I likely knew some of your cousins.
By SumItUp
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: September 13th, 2022, 10:29 pm I likely knew some of your cousins.
I was thinking the same thing.
JK37 liked this
By Ill flame
Tnobes wrote: September 13th, 2022, 10:11 pm My number one team changes when coaches change, I have a closet full of fighting illini gear from the Ron Zook era, I have a closet full of Mississippi State gear from Dan mullen years, I have a closet full of gear from Florida State, Florida State will always be Bobby Bowdens team no matter who's coaching. And I grew up cheering for the Golden Gophers as my home team. I follow Liberty because of Hugh Freeze and the fact they are a Christian University who is actually Christian instead of Christian in name only like many many Universities these days, and I have 9 cousins who graduated from Liberty in the mid to late 80's and early 90's. I remember flying to a Liberty graduation ceremony as a kid where Jerry Folwell Sr. spoke and Jack Kemp spoke, my aunt worked on Jack Kemp's presidential campaign. So my tie to Liberty is stronger than a coach I like or my tie to my "home team"
How many closets do you own?
By Tnobes
SumItUp wrote: September 13th, 2022, 10:40 pm
Sly Fox wrote: September 13th, 2022, 10:29 pm I likely knew some of your cousins.
I was thinking the same thing.
Last names would be Bottiger, Arnold, and Noble
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I had a Chuck Arnold on my floor. And I remember several Nobles.
By Tnobes
Sly Fox wrote: September 14th, 2022, 5:34 pm I had a Chuck Arnold on my floor. And I remember several Nobles.
Chuck Arnold is married to my cousin Robin (Bottiger)
Sly Fox liked this
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Tnobes wrote: September 14th, 2022, 10:14 pm
Sly Fox wrote: September 14th, 2022, 5:34 pm I had a Chuck Arnold on my floor. And I remember several Nobles.
Wait. So your cousin married your other cousin? Dude, Did you say you were from West Virginia?
ballcoach15 liked this
By Tnobes
JK37 wrote: September 15th, 2022, 7:01 am
Tnobes wrote: September 14th, 2022, 10:14 pm
Wait. So your cousin married your other cousin? Dude, Did you say you were from West Virginia?
I knew that joke was coming 🤣 I'm not related to Chuck Arnold, my cousin met him at Liberty and they got married. Anyways sorry for getting off track, back to the subject of BYU.
LaTech

Looks like we'll have to win with pitching cause t[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my fa[…]