Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

Who should be LU's starting QB on Saturday against UAB?

Jonathan Bennett
No votes
0%
Kaidon Salter
100%
Nate Hampton
No votes
0%
Red Shirt Junior?
Red Shirt Freshman (4 star)?
Red Shirt Freshman
Purple Haize wrote: September 5th, 2022, 10:19 pm Can you not make a poll?
Can you not name names?
C’mon man
Look at the top for the POLL: 7 Flame Fans have voted already!

Do you need coached up on how to vote? :wink:
Cider Jim wrote: September 6th, 2022, 12:51 am
Purple Haize wrote: September 5th, 2022, 10:19 pm Can you not make a poll?
Can you not name names?
C’mon man
Look at the top for the POLL: 7 Flame Fans have voted already!

Do you need coached up on how to vote? :wink:
Perhaps I was hasty in my criticism :oops:
JK37 wrote: September 6th, 2022, 8:11 am Speaking of Video Review, I learned this weekend that there is a difference between a call being “confirmed” and stating that the call “stands”. Never knew that, but now it makes total sense.
Seriously? I guess you are never too old to learn. :lol:
Whoever is starting QB, Coach Freeze should wait until last possible moment to announce it. keep UAB defensive coordinator in suspense. Granted the media and fans want to know early, as if they were the ones preparing the game plan. Coach should wait until the offense goes on the field for 1st possession, before anyone knows who QB will be.
LUOrange liked this
Sly Fox wrote: September 6th, 2022, 8:59 am Anyone who saw the game film is going to be suspecting it is KSalt. We would have to start Nate for there to be any surprises.

But I highly suspect there will be multiple QBs involved for us on Saturday.
I don't see how Salter doesn't start. But I expect Hampton to get some time too, based upon Freeze's comments yesterday at the press conference. I, also wouldn't be surprised to JB get some more time too.
LUOrange wrote: September 6th, 2022, 10:49 am
Sly Fox wrote: September 6th, 2022, 8:59 am Anyone who saw the game film is going to be suspecting it is KSalt. We would have to start Nate for there to be any surprises.

I don't see how Salter doesn't start. But I expect Hampton to get some time too, based upon Freeze's comments yesterday at the press conference. I, also wouldn't be surprised to JB get some more time too.
Not sure what playing JB will do for us. He has had plenty of opportunity over the last couple of years to show what he is capable of doing. He is not going to get any faster this week, put more air under the ball or be able to read the RPO any better either.
I do trust Coach, that whatever decision he makes will be best for the team.
flameshaw wrote: September 6th, 2022, 6:05 pm

Not sure what playing JB will do for us. He has had plenty of opportunity over the last couple of years to show what he is capable of doing. He is not going to get any faster this week, put more air under the ball or be able to read the RPO any better either.
JB played well last year for us. Both in relief and in mop-up time. Not sure why he's looked bad in Fan Fest and vs, USM.
LUDad wrote: September 6th, 2022, 6:42 pm Start Salter and keep him in till we go a possision without scoring. Then give Nate a possession to see how he handles it. Need to know how he might respond in case Salter gets dinged-up.
Unless it is a blowout I would prefer to keep our most talented QB on the field. We should have plenty of opportunities to get Hampton experience against akron, umass, Gardner Webb, uconn and NMSU.
Dalegarz1 liked this
LUOrange wrote: September 6th, 2022, 10:06 pm
flameshaw wrote: September 6th, 2022, 6:05 pm
JB played well last year for us. Both in relief and in mop-up time. Not sure why he's looked bad in Fan Fest and vs, USM.
I have watched every game JB has ever played in. IMHO he has never shown the ability to be a good D1 QB. I understand he is a great kid and teammate, but you have to win. OK in mop-up time, but that is his ceiling that he has displayed so far. Maybe some day, but doubtful.
Dalegarz1 liked this
He's a good back-up. The Southern Miss D turned out to be much better than anticipated. JB still has a role. But KS was clutch. Playmaking ability on the move was remarkable.

We'll see how he follows up this week. The D will be ready for everything on tape. Southern Miss D was prepared for Brewer. And they grounded JB. This week will be a challenge.
LUOrange liked this
Whew...HCHF was pretty tough on his reflection of KSalt's performance. Obviously, there is some concerns that we don't see on the field that come up in game reviews. Not sure if KSalt is putting in the time he needs independently to learn the offense, but Coach was not mincing words in his interview. Might see more of JB and/or Hampton if things don't improve in coach's eyes.
I think part of the indecisiveness is the fact that UAB specifically planned for Salter while USM didn't. Salter didn't have an answer for that spy on him early in the game which I'm sure took him out of his comfort zone. He's never had to rely on his arm before and it shows.
Dalegarz1 liked this
New Mexico State

Crazy game, should have won it about an hour and a[…]

Congress needs to get involved and pass a law ca[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

We went from everyone on the team being 6’7&[…]

2024 Season Thread

This weekend is a big series on the road against a[…]