Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

University of Alabama at Birmingham
Birmingham, Alabama

UAB Football Official Site

CSNbbs CUSA Board

Bryant Vincent
Named Interim Head Coach on June 27th

2022 Schedule/Results

Sep 01 - Alabama A&M ................................ W 59-0
Sep 10 - @ Liberty ....................................... 6 PM ET
Sep 17 - Georgia Southern
Oct 01 - @ Rice
Oct 08 - MTSU
Oct 15 - Charlotte
Oct 21 - @ WKU
Oct 29 - @ Florida Atlantic
Nov 05 - UTSA
Nov 12 - North Texas
Nov 19 - @ LSU
Nov 26 - @ Louisiana Tech

AL.com wrote:Quarter-by-quarter look at UAB’s 59-0 win over Alabama A&M
Updated: Sep. 01, 2022, 11:28 p.m.|Published: Sep. 01, 2022, 11:13 p.m

Jermaine Brown Jr. (1) celebrates after scoring on a 19-yard run in UAB's 59-0 win over Alabama A&M, Thursday, Sept. 1, 2022, at Protective Stadium in Birmingham, Ala. (UAB Athletics)

A new era of UAB football opened with a flurry of touchdowns and ended with a few classy kneel-downs at the goal line.

The Blazers scored in all three phases of the game as they bullied their way to a 59-0 victory over Alabama A&M, Thursday, Sept. 1, at Protective Stadium in Birmingham.

An announced crowd of 32,542 were in attendance for UAB’s home opener.
Click Here for Full Story

Key Players

#9 Dylan Hopkins
6' 2" 215 lbs Junior Quarterback
After 1 Game: 13-of-18 (72.2%) for 191 Yards with 1 TD + 2 Carries for -6 Yards

#1 Jermaine Brown Jr.
5' 8" 185 lbs Junior Running Back
After 1 Game: 10 Carries for 114 Yards with 1 TD + 1 Catch for 12 Yards

#19 Tejhaun Palmer
6' 2" 205 lbs Junior Receiver
After 1 Game: 4 Catches for 57 Yards

#50 Noah Wilder
6' 0" 240 lbs Senior Linebacker
After 1 Game: Team-High 9 Tackles + .5 Tackles for Loss

#1 Jaylen Key
6' 2" 210 lbs Junior Safety
After 1 Game: 3 Tackles + 1 INT
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Come on, Operation Mindcrime. I used to roll that disc on the Metal Meltdown show Friday nights on Z100 back three decades+ ago.

As for the Blazers, they have a ton of experience on both sides of the ball. The Bill Clark exit this summer was strange but his top lieutenant and longtime OC has stepped into the interim role with vigor.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: September 4th, 2022, 5:53 pm Come on, Operation Mindcrime. I used to roll that disc on the Metal Meltdown show Friday nights on Z100 back three decades+ ago.

As for the Blazers, they have a ton of experience on both sides of the ball. The Bill Clark exit this summer was strange but his top lieutenant and longtime OC has stepped into the interim role with vigor.
But Geoff Tate isn’t with them. I’m leaning that way.

This should be an interesting game that I will check in on before I end the night with Skillet- Tenacious D - Slipnot
By LUDad
QB production extrapolated out percentage-wise for a full game:

Passing:
Salter: 592 yards
Brewer/JB: 68 yards

Rushing:
Salter: 260 yards
Brewer/JB: 123 yards

Total Game Simulated QB Production:
Salter: 852 yards
Brewer/JB: 191 yards

Need to take a few yards off Salter's production since he picked up some yards in the first two over-times, but I think it paints a good picture. Add the fact that he will get reps with 1st team this week, I think it's a gift to be able to take LU and 4.5 points at home this week against UAB.
UAB has all their players available. It helps that they last played last Thursday giving them an extra 2 days to heal and prepare. Their defense was in the top 10 four consecutive years until last year where they finished in the top 20. They are talented and confident. Will need to play mistake free and create TOs on D.
Spoiler Alert: The only place on the football field where this Alabama outlet gives the Flames any advantage is at head coach.
AL.com wrote:Position-by-position breakdown for UAB vs. Liberty
Published: Sep. 08, 2022, 8:15 a.m.

By Evan Dudley

The UAB football team has a few scores to settle this year and the revenge tour gets started in earnest this week with the team that spoiled the grand opening of Protective Stadium.

The Blazers take to the road for the first time this season as they face Liberty, Saturday, Sept. 10, at Arthur L. Williams Stadium in Lynchburg, Virginia.
Click Here for Full Srtory
1819 News wrote:UAB prepares for a pair of Liberty quarterbacks
Steve Irvine | 09.07.22

The UAB defense is preparing to face Liberty’s offense. The Blazers are not preparing to play Malik Willis, who is earning NFL money with the Tennessee Titans.

That’s good news.

In a sudden twist, the Blazers are also not preparing to play the quarterback who won the job to start the season as Willis’ replacement. Charlie Brewer, a former starter at Baylor and Utah, broke a bone in his hand early in Saturday’s win at Southern Miss. He had surgery on Monday and is probably out for the bulk of the season.

That bit of news makes for a busy week for David Reeves and the UAB defensive staff. The Blazers now have to make full-time preparations on both quarterbacks left in the rotation. Those two quarterbacks are 6-foot, 220-pound redshirt junior Johnathan Bennett and 6-foot-1, 190-pound redshirt freshman Kaidon Salter.
Click Here for Full Story
We don't have the ability to play ground and pound football like a Wisconsin when needed but I feel comfortable that Salter and our RB corps can keep the chains moving with their legs just as well as UAB could. We just averaged 5.1 yards per carry against a very solid DL. Plus we've already proven when can slow down a strong one dimensional run game. Rain seems like a wash to me.
My tailgate gear is loaded in my truck (with ponchos!), but it's already sprinkling in Lynchburg. :rainy
Last edited by Cider Jim on September 10th, 2022, 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

From what I can tell, these guys will confirm […]

Long snapper from Elon/UCLA with one year of eligi[…]

A Liberty-Longhorns matchup would be incredible. I[…]

I do most of my reading on airplanes and trains th[…]