Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

JK37 wrote: September 3rd, 2022, 11:03 pm
stokesjokes wrote: September 3rd, 2022, 10:59 pm Salter has a rocket
I disagree. He’s been accurate mostly. But he underthrew several tonight. Malik and Buckshot had way stronger arms.

But he’s clearly our best option. Love his moxie.
Oh, he definitely missed some throws, but there were a couple absolute bullets, including the game winner. I think he’s got the strength, just needs to clean up his mechanics when he’s throwing on the run.
rmiller1959 wrote: September 3rd, 2022, 11:05 pm Well, with Brewer hurt and Bennett being inconsistent, it looks like the Kayden Salter era has begun. This will put Hugh Freeze's coaching skills to the test. It doesn't get any easier with UAB coming to town.
If we play next Saturday like we played tonight.........it will be ugly. UAB is solid. But I will say this, the kids showed tenacity. 4 OTs is tough. Glad they had the experience. Let's learn from it...and be better!
Last edited by rtb72 on September 3rd, 2022, 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LibertyD wrote: September 3rd, 2022, 11:03 pm 4OT to beat a team with literally no QB. It’s going to be a long long season…
Maybe, tonight certainly didn’t look great but teams always improve from week 1 to 2. I trust Freeze to correct the issues that need to be addressed.
rtb72, Sly Fox liked this
JK37 wrote: September 3rd, 2022, 11:03 pm
stokesjokes wrote: September 3rd, 2022, 10:59 pm Salter has a rocket
I disagree. He’s been accurate mostly. But he underthrew several tonight. Malik and Buckshot had way stronger arms.

But he’s clearly our best option. Love his moxie.
Is the word Moxie making a come back? I swear I’ve heard it 25 times this week. Which is 22 more times then I have heard it the last decade
JK37 liked this
ballcoach15 wrote: September 3rd, 2022, 11:07 pm Our defense has me worried. S. Miss was one dimensional, basically Gore running ball, and we had trouble stopping him.
I hope defensive coaching staff watches film of this game, on the plane back to Lynchburg.
Our D was fine. We didn’t know what to do with it when they first brought it out, but we figured it out. It’s a junk offense that they’ve had success running in the past and we played it pretty well after the first series.
flameshaw wrote: September 3rd, 2022, 11:26 pm 4 things tonight:

Good to play bad and still win
Our OL is still BAD
Our D played pretty darn good
Salter will be our QB. JB has never had it. The starter is no better than Salter. Salter has 3 more years.

Not bad considering our first game of the year and on the road.
FIFY
ballcoach15, CCWMichael liked this
Okay…terrible win against a Terri team with no QB and 4OTs. Nothing good to take away beside Salter if he stays healthy. No support in the run game! Need better recruitment and development in that room. O line extremely suspect. We now have to reevaluate who can we actually beat on the schedule. UConn looked good, Old D looked great and beat VT. WHO CAN WE ACTUALLY BEAT??? Maybe New Mexico….
Durrell Johnson looked really good. He's gonna have a big year if he stays healthy.

Salter obviously stole the show on offense.

I'm not as down on the team as most of you. We learned a lot on offense (unfortunately losing Brewer), and saw some really good things from Salter. Hopefully Salter can get more reps and learn the playbook and we could be really good.
One thing we did when Salter was in that we weren’t doing before was getting the right people involved. I don’t know if that’s on JB or Freeze, but it was a noticeable change.

Demario Douglas had one catch before Salter came in. Salter hit him 4 times, including 2 TDs. We had a couple big plays by TEs- how long has everyone here been saying we need to use TEs more? We even called a play for the FB to catch one out of the backfield.

Seemed like every JB pass play before the INT was a low percentage bomb against a very good and big secondary. Either Freeze was calling stinkers or JB was making bad decisions, but it was night and day.
Kricket, TH Spangler liked this
stokesjokes wrote: September 4th, 2022, 10:48 am One thing we did when Salter was in that we weren’t doing before was getting the right people involved. I don’t know if that’s on JB or Freeze, but it was a noticeable change.

Demario Douglas had one catch before Salter came in. Salter hit him 4 times, including 2 TDs. We had a couple big plays by TEs- how long has everyone here been saying we need to use TEs more? We even called a play for the FB to catch one out of the backfield.

Seemed like every JB pass play before the INT was a low percentage bomb against a very good and big secondary. Either Freeze was calling stinkers or JB was making bad decisions, but it was night and day.
I was very excited that an LU QB discovered the TE!
stokesjokes wrote: September 4th, 2022, 10:48 am One thing we did when Salter was in that we weren’t doing before was getting the right people involved. I don’t know if that’s on JB or Freeze, but it was a noticeable change.

Practically each of those plays by Salter was him scrambling and rolling right. I think it was more Salter buying time than play calls.
In addition to everyone’s due praise of Salter, the D stepped up. USM isn’t as bad as last year, but obviously still not great. Their D is tough. They have an offense full of holes, but credit to their coaches for being willing to go waaaay outside the box last year, and then go back there this year. Both their QB’s sucked.

I have a feeling this win will loook a little better as season goes on.

The questioning of the LU coaches and their work ethic is laughable to me. Study film? Work late? That’s sophomoric and ignorant. We can all be better. Season opener, on the road, starting QB looked solid then broke his hand, backup struggled, third stringer came in and led us to W while showing us the QB of our now and future. Defense stepped up against a weird offense they may have prepared for, but in a season opener they couldn’t prepare for EVERY possibility. So they made adjustments, and good ones.

Yeah, OL looks bad.

All in all, a LOT to be happy about. Just happy we could get a W doing it. Easily could’ve had to swallow an L to learn all we did in Week 1.
JK37 wrote: September 4th, 2022, 11:20 am In addition to everyone’s due praise of Salter, the D stepped up. USM isn’t as bad as last year, but obviously still not great. Their D is tough. They have an offense full of holes, but credit to their coaches for being willing to go waaaay outside the box last year, and then go back there this year. Both their QB’s sucked.

I have a feeling this win will loook a little better as season goes on.

The questioning of the LU coaches and their work ethic is laughable to me. Study film? Work late? That’s sophomoric and ignorant. We can all be better. Season opener, on the road, starting QB looked solid then broke his hand, backup struggled, third stringer came in and led us to W while showing us the QB of our now and future. Defense stepped up against a weird offense they may have prepared for, but in a season opener they couldn’t prepare for EVERY possibility. So they made adjustments, and good ones.

Yeah, OL looks bad.

All in all, a LOT to be happy about. Just happy we could get a W doing it. Easily could’ve had to swallow an L to learn all we did in Week 1.
Lots of positives to take away. But for starters I feel awful for Brewer. He got back to where he wanted and then right back to square one. Sisyphus has nothing on him
JB had his shot. He kept LU in the game but couldn’t get them over the top. Salter was given his shot and made the most of it. Getting 1st team and most of the reps should help a bunch
Totally agree about the sophomoric and ignorant comments about the coaching.
The D looked good all things considered. How do you make adjustments for a ‘junk’ offense on the fly? It’s like the triple option but not. And the D stopped them when it needed to
The O Line is aptly named cause there’s a huge hole to walk through. What in the world is going on?
Take the W. Adjust to the new QB and prepare for UAB
Years ago, didn't Coach Freeze say that he "simplified" his playbook for when either Buckshot or Malik was first starting out? If so, maybe Freeze could do the same for Salter.
Longwood

Liberty heads east down 460 today for a game at Lo[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

Week #4 Top Performers - Runs - Gatorbait 49 HR[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

I'm not a fan of Cleveland trying to play point gu[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

https://twitter.com/ChrisVannini/status/17825216[…]