Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By jmclaughlin
Growing optimism! If Charley Brewer is 90% as good as he was in the 2019 season, he has a chance to lead the most impactful season in our programs history. Go back and watch him in ‘19 and even in ‘20. He is exactly the right system QB for Freezes offense. Quick decisions, accurate, can scramble, great with RPO reads and is fearless.
Would still say that Douglas is the most important player on our roster. If he can make 3-4 big chunk plays each game, we can be special. Brewer can feed him the rock!
Dalegarz1 liked this
By tyndal23
jmclaughlin wrote: August 25th, 2022, 10:47 am Growing optimism! If Charley Brewer is 90% as good as he was in the 2019 season, he has a chance to lead the most impactful season in our programs history. Go back and watch him in ‘19 and even in ‘20. He is exactly the right system QB for Freezes offense. Quick decisions, accurate, can scramble, great with RPO reads and is fearless.
Would still say that Douglas is the most important player on our roster. If he can make 3-4 big chunk plays each game, we can be special. Brewer can feed him the rock!
This year’s schedule all comes down to O Line. I like what I am hearing out of camp. if O Line is legit, we can win with 3-4 QB’s we have. If not, long year. But I am a Brewer fan and agree he can be exceptional.
jmclaughlin liked this
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I have been peppered with my Austin TS Sports friends all realizing that CB is now our starting QB. On joked that he must have graduated from Lake Travis back in the Dubya administration.

With his concussion history, he HAS to stay upright or we may need all four QBs this season.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
rtb72 wrote: September 3rd, 2022, 11:10 pm
ballcoach15 wrote: September 3rd, 2022, 11:08 pm
ballcoach15 wrote: August 10th, 2022, 1:48 pm When the dust settles, Salter will be starting QB, according to my radar screen.
🏈🏈🏈
Not cool to put salt in PH's wound :lol:
Not cool to celebrate Brewers injury. But we don’t expect much class from BC
By tyndal23
If Salter can rally the troops ( O Line ) - clearly he has the elite athletic ability. He glides when JB and CB strain. Bad throw with his one INT ( bunny hop off back foot ). JB looks all smooth until he has to pass out of the pocket - he tightens up and short arms it or gets adrenaline rush and over throws - he is a solid backup with a ceiling - Salter is the cat who can beat a P5. Make him “ the man” and. Live or doe by him with good leadership around him. O Line was decent - that is 3rd best defensive front we will face.
TH Spangler, Dalegarz1, CCWMichael and 1 others liked this
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
The biggest difference between Salter and the others, was he read the RPO MUCH BETTER. JB is too slow and tends to throw the ball pretty flat, on the longer throws. Being that Brewer is out 6 weeks, and at the end of his career, we will be better focusing on one QB as the starter. Brewer looked pretty good when he was in there. Sad he got hurt.
JK37, LUOrange liked this
By Ill flame
Salter did well but after rewatching the game it's going to be a roller coaster of a season with him at QB. He still doesn't completely understand the playbook which resulted in a few broken plays. He likes to throw it into tight windows and while on the run which worked well yesterday but is also going to result in more interceptions. These are things that should get cleaned up with reps. Unfortunately it'll be a few weeks until our first easy opponent. Who knows if he's going to have 5 TDs against UAB or 5 turnovers.
LUOrange liked this
By LUalum12
Registration Days Posts
I would rather be on a roller coaster ride with Salter at qb than standing in line or should I say not moving with JB at qb. Nothing against JB but Salter has a ceiling neither JB nor Charlie can touch.
CCWMichael liked this
By Ill flame
LUalum12 wrote: September 4th, 2022, 2:16 pm I would rather be on a roller coaster ride with Salter at qb than standing in line or should I say not moving with JB at qb. Nothing against JB but Salter has a ceiling neither JB nor Charlie can touch.
I agree 100%, JB was tough to watch but I'm just trying to establish expectations. We saw flashes of his high ceiling but we will also see some frustrating times with him too. Our defense is going to keep us in most games but he's going to almost single handedly make us or break us on offense. Now if we can just fix that O line....
By LUOrange
Purple Haize wrote: September 4th, 2022, 12:47 pm Well Brewer was only in for 2 series and passed 5 times.
I thought he looked pretty good when he was out there. I thought he was just getting comfortable. If not for the injury, he would've warmed up decently, and we wouldn't have had the stalled offense that we had with JB. I'm still not sure what happened with JB, he looked much better last year in his relief roles.
By LUOrange
Sly Fox wrote: September 4th, 2022, 5:03 pm I won't be surprised if we don't also see some Nate Hampton next week based on the references Coach Freeze made postgame.
IMO, Salter and Hampton looked the best during the Fan Fest scrimmage.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
LUOrange wrote: September 4th, 2022, 8:14 pm
Purple Haize wrote: September 4th, 2022, 12:47 pm Well Brewer was only in for 2 series and passed 5 times.
I thought he looked pretty good when he was out there. I thought he was just getting comfortable. If not for the injury, he would've warmed up decently, and we wouldn't have had the stalled offense that we had with JB. I'm still not sure what happened with JB, he looked much better last year in his relief roles.
IMHO I don’t think the play-calling did JB any favors. He started off doing pretty well passing the ball as well as obviously running well. Take away his last 7 passes, he started 7/11 for 37 yards. Not world-changing, but competent. Then we call a bunch of slow developing long passes against a good secondary and with a terrible O-line, we get interception, incomplete, incomplete, incomplete, incomplete, incomplete, interception. Not only were they harder plays to make, they put you behind the sticks and kill your confidence too.
LUOrange liked this
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
JB's a seasoned back-up. You expect him to be able to function and produce within the system. Didn't happen. Thus the redirection toward inexperienced talent. Almost waited too long IMO.
LUOrange liked this
By LUOrange
flameshaw wrote: September 5th, 2022, 8:39 am A TRUE double threat QB, like Slater is going to be necessary. We didn't have a running game from a RB. Hopefully that room has some more talent. Looks mighty thin right now
We didn't use Dae Dae enough. we've become to reliant on his speed, but if he can't break free...
By Racenut
Registration Days Posts
In person, Salter instantly provided a spark. The team seems to respond a tick differently. Much like Malik, the players don't easily give up on a play because Salter extends the play with his mobility. He certainly ads a different "dynamic" to the game. As HCHF said after the game, "I'm not sure that we win without him".
IMHO, we do seem to have fallen into a rut of mostly long passes to the sideline or deep balls in the passing game, virtually ignoring short or mid range passes over the middle. Perhaps this is by design, but certainly a back, slot or tight end under cutting a deep route would find some success.
Salter seems to have the intangibles that enable a team to do whatever it takes to win. Getting the W sure made the 12 hour ride home more enjoyable.
LUOrange, flameshaw liked this
Election 2022 and 2024

Professional protestors? Let me guess funded by […]

Uh… You guys like reading?

I try to alternate non-fiction with fiction and […]

Wondering if you have looked into catching the n[…]

Expect it when you least expect it. Studying it is[…]