Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By rtb72
As I think Sly mentioned, wouldn't mind seeing Nate on a play or two. Running back room I think is talented, but banged up a bit right now. I hope and think our running game can/will improve, but we have to have a some push from the O-line. The O-line will play heavily into what happens this Saturday and every game this year. I am also worried that these young QBs are more likely to get hurt by our porous O-line. Malik was able to get out of a lot of bad spots last year; not sure our young QBs have the experience and development to do that yet.
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
QB is exactly as I predicted. Brewer started and I thought looked fine. Actually think he fits Freeze's offense the best. And Salter should have been QB2 from the get go. I respect loyalty, but Salter clearly is the most talented QB on our roster. Bennett should switch to RB. We need help there and here clearly is a better runner then a passer. I felt like that was the best thing that could have happened to us, after Brewer got hurt. If we scraped out a win with Bennett - everyone opponent would have marked us down as a win. When Salter came in - the offense was so much different and gives me hope that we will be a tough out for anyone. His upside is higher than anyone on the roster... I'm not for the QB shuffle.

No one knew Brewer was hurt, because announcers were horrible. They never mentioned an injury - just kept on talking about Freeze telling them that we would see all of them at some point. The onscreen score keeper must of been 8 years old - never seen so many mistakes. Then when game ended - we were listed as 6-1. "Bowl eligible already" Made me truly appreciate what we have with FTN.
tyndal23 liked this
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Bad production all around had me muting video and turning on audio stream before end of Q1.

USM as an athletic department seems more FCS than FBS. Just seemed lost in whatever worked 15 years ago. Game day production seemed like it from what I could see/hear on broadcast. Stadium looks boring. And, Hattiesburg? Cmon. Any cosch in any sport that wins there is just trying to get out ASAP. We coaches used to call those SSU’s: “Stepping Stone University”
By rmiller1959
Registration Days Posts
prototype wrote: September 5th, 2022, 1:55 pm QB is exactly as I predicted. Brewer started and I thought looked fine. Actually think he fits Freeze's offense the best. And Salter should have been QB2 from the get go. I respect loyalty, but Salter clearly is the most talented QB on our roster. Bennett should switch to RB. We need help there and here clearly is a better runner then a passer. I felt like that was the best thing that could have happened to us, after Brewer got hurt. If we scraped out a win with Bennett - everyone opponent would have marked us down as a win. When Salter came in - the offense was so much different and gives me hope that we will be a tough out for anyone. His upside is higher than anyone on the roster... I'm not for the QB shuffle.

No one knew Brewer was hurt, because announcers were horrible. They never mentioned an injury - just kept on talking about Freeze telling them that we would see all of them at some point. The onscreen score keeper must of been 8 years old - never seen so many mistakes. Then when game ended - we were listed as 6-1. "Bowl eligible already" Made me truly appreciate what we have with FTN.
The announcer said he felt bad about the Brewer miss. He said he doesn't check Twitter during a broadcast. He had nothing but kind things to say about Brewer and Salter.
LUOrange liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: September 5th, 2022, 3:10 pm Bad production all around had me muting video and turning on audio stream before end of Q1.

USM as an athletic department seems more FCS than FBS.

You can add JMU, ODU and several other so called FBS schools, in addition to USM as being "more FCS".
By rmiller1959
Registration Days Posts
rmiller1959 wrote: September 5th, 2022, 4:06 pm
prototype wrote: September 5th, 2022, 1:55 pm QB is exactly as I predicted. Brewer started and I thought looked fine. Actually think he fits Freeze's offense the best. And Salter should have been QB2 from the get go. I respect loyalty, but Salter clearly is the most talented QB on our roster. Bennett should switch to RB. We need help there and here clearly is a better runner then a passer. I felt like that was the best thing that could have happened to us, after Brewer got hurt. If we scraped out a win with Bennett - everyone opponent would have marked us down as a win. When Salter came in - the offense was so much different and gives me hope that we will be a tough out for anyone. His upside is higher than anyone on the roster... I'm not for the QB shuffle.

The announcer said he felt bad about the Brewer miss. He said he doesn't check Twitter during a broadcast. He had nothing but kind things to say about Brewer and Salter.
flamehunter liked this
By jmclaughlin
Went back to find this because I couldn’t remember my exact take but I thought it was interesting to compare to now, 2 years into the program, for Kaiden Salter. Happy to say that it appears he is progressing as a STUDENT athlete but Freeze was openly critical of his lack of discipline in off the field prep in his interview today:

Couple of things:
1. This is a great boost from the marketing side of college football. Bringing in a blue chip with 4 years of eligibility is cool from a fans perspective
However...2. I was on the Cedar Hill sideline for one of Kaidon's games last year and was not impressed. From a pure football side of things, I was shocked that he was valued as a top 15 QB in the country and more so to see his offer list. He consistently held the ball too long and rarely executed the play as called. Used his legs to dance in and out of pocket and relied on his receivers to improvise with him to play pitch and catch (His highlight videos show the same). He struggled with the management of the game and in both halves, cost his team time and yards with very little awareness of the clock. His team was clearly more physically gifted than their opponent and yet he struggled to move the ball consistently, especially in the air. Threw 2 terrible pics that were a result of delayed decision making. Granted, this was one game and I am in no way credentialed as a scout evaluator but I also know talent when I see it.
3. Off the ball behavior was were I was really unimpressed. In short, his attitude was terrible. Not one time did he come to the sideline and fire up his troops. Rather, he would remove his helmet before reaching the sideline so that everyone could see him voice his displeasure with a coach or player(s). Others on the sideline would have to pick him up while he sulked. I am on a sideline most Friday nights in Texas and it stood out as one of the most self centered attitudes I witnessed all year. In fact, the 3 others with me said the same. The coaches seemed to cater to his behavior which led to a really undisciplined sideline as a whole.
4. I hope I am 100% wrong on this kid. He is after all, just a kid. My hope is that he has had a wake up call and will begin to mature around a great program and staff that will instill discipline. I trust the eyes of scout evaluators that all put their reputations on the line to offer him more than mine.
5. However (2), that is not my gut. To go to your "dream school" and not even make it to fall practices because you put yourself above the team with selfish acts is no small thing to overcome. This is the type of kid that can wreck a locker room if he hasn't had a dynamic attitude shift.

Liberty should be a school built on second chances. HCHF is the perfect guy to lead the program of Kaidon Salters and I default my judgement to those who have heard Kaidon's story and heart.

Just my 2 cents and I hope that I am wrong on this one.

Light 'em Up!
LUOrange liked this
The thing that stood out to me about HCHF's presser today was how quick he was to evaluate with transparency Salter's performance on Saturday. Kaidon surely did enough to help us win & his ability to scramble once again showed up. But I remember thinking during the game on a few occasions how did he not see shedro in the flats for a for sure 1st down or why didn't he take off and run when he had nothing but green in front of him. Both of those occasions he forced decisions and we ended up punting. The Malik Caper incident was all on Salter with the RPO. The other glaring thing that stood out was Kaidon has been going to the offensive analyst for extra help and Freeze pointed out that Kaidon should be going to Kent or himself.

How this all shakes out will be interesting.
jmclaughlin, LUOrange liked this
By LUOrange
Freeze was critical of Salter's prep last week and then today he was critical of his decision making. Hopefully, he's been improving in all areas, especially as a man and hopefully as a Christian. He's clearly very talented and has rode that horse for a while, like many HS athletes. Hopefully, he makes the most of his second chance at Liberty. We're all rooting for him.
jmclaughlin, Sly Fox, rtb72 liked this
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]