Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
It looks like I might e able to swing the BYU game in Lynchburg. I am going to be working up in DC that week and Intend to try the Amtrak service out.

Checking hotels, they are already booking up and jacking up rates for that weekend. I am not above couch-surfing if the need arises.

Now scoring a one-off ticket for that game might be a challenge if Ian's season ticket deal limits individual tix. I will be monitoring the situation closely.

Just pondering ...

I am also penciling in the Arkansas road trip two weeks later. Crazy times that we are having all of these epic games in one season. I'll leave the Hokies game to you locals.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: April 18th, 2022, 5:29 pm It looks like I might e able to swing the BYU game in Lynchburg. I am going to be working up in DC that week and Intend to try the Amtrak service out.

Checking hotels, they are already booking up and jacking up rates for that weekend. I am not above couch-surfing if the need arises.

Now scoring a one-off ticket for that game might be a challenge if Ian's season ticket deal limits individual tix. I will be monitoring the situation closely.

Just pondering ...

I am also penciling in the Arkansas road trip two weeks later. Crazy times that we are having all of these epic games in one season. I'll leave the Hokies game to you locals.
Smooth and I will be at Arkansas
Sly Fox, ATrain liked this
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Keep me in the loop on your plans. The flights are relatively cheap into Fayetteville from IAH (sub $300 right now for that weekend) so I might pass on the roadie.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Sly, welcome to the DMV.

I am also considering doing a mileage run and going to Fayetteville for the Arkansas game.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I have a growing number of federal clients. I was in the District a week ago and I am headed there on Sunday. I also have some ridiculously large corporate clients in NOVA. I anticipate an increased flight schedule into DCA for the foreseeable future barring pandemic relapses.

Haize's enthusiasm about Amtrak from Lynchburg to DC is one of the reasons I am giving it a look for this BYU experience. That and rental car prices have been obscene the past six months across the nation. I'd love to hear advice from those who make that run on the rails.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: April 18th, 2022, 8:26 pm I have a growing number of federal clients. I was in the District a week ago and I am headed there on Sunday. I also have some ridiculously large corporate clients in NOVA. I anticipate an increased flight schedule into DCA for the foreseeable future barring pandemic relapses.

Haize's enthusiasm about Amtrak from Lynchburg to DC is one of the reasons I am giving it a look for this BYU experience. That and rental car prices have been obscene the past six months across the nation. I'd love to hear advice from those who make that run on the rails.
Perhaps its a sign that its time for you to return to the Commonwealth :wink:

I've ridden Amtrak many times, and prefer it over flying in the Northeast Corridor. Union Station is easy to access via Metro, and there is also a huge parking garage there as well. There is a huge foodcourt, so you can eat before boarding. The best part is: NO TSA! Be prepared to Uber it once you get to the 'burg. Also, patience is a virtue that may be tested. The Lynchburg route is more reliable than most Amtrak routes, but Amtrak isn't exactly known for being on time.
Sly Fox liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: April 18th, 2022, 8:26 pm I have a growing number of federal clients. I was in the District a week ago and I am headed there on Sunday. I also have some ridiculously large corporate clients in NOVA. I anticipate an increased flight schedule into DCA for the foreseeable future barring pandemic relapses.

Yes! I get a shout out! You only have 2 options for trains coming into Lynchburg. But they are great for leaving on a Friday and beating the traffic. I’d look at spending the little bit extra for Quiet Car or 1st class but GAis fine.
ATrain, Sly Fox liked this
By LUAlum1215

I've taken Amtrak three times - twice from Petersburg to DC Union Station and once from Savannah GA to Rocky Mount NC. I didn't mind it at all, and as long as you have the time for it I'd take Amtrak over flying every time if simplicity and convenience are the measuring stick. My only must-have is a business class seat. Its a few bucks more, but the seats are larger and more comfortable, with power at every seat (may be the case on the whole train, but not sure), and the business class cars are significantly more quiet. It's no library silence, but it's not far from it. Gen Adm cars are usually packed and much louder. You are free to walk from one end of the train to the other while in transit, so take a stroll through and you'll see what I mean. Finally, don't plan anything super tight time wise if you take a train. They hit cars far more often than you'd think, which leads to hours long delays. My dad has taken Amtrak from Richmond to Miami three times, and on both legs of all three trips they hit a car. The conductor told him it happens more often than not on longer trips, so keep that in mind when scheduling things.
Sly Fox liked this
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
For those of you who have made the LYH-WAS run, what is the preference between the NE Regional ($65 Business & $38 Coach options each way) and the Crescent ($236 Bedroom & $14 Coach options each way)? Both appear to be similar in scheduled lengths.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Different trains No need to get the bedroom. It’s all a matter of when you wanna leave and get there
By LUDad
LUAlum1215 wrote: April 20th, 2022, 4:21 pm

I've taken Amtrak three times - twice from Petersburg to DC Union Station and once from Savannah GA to Rocky Mount NC. I didn't mind it at all, and as long as you have the time for it I'd take Amtrak over flying every time if simplicity and convenience are the measuring stick. My only must-have is a business class seat. Its a few bucks more, but the seats are larger and more comfortable, with power at every seat (may be the case on the whole train, but not sure), and the business class cars are significantly more quiet. It's no library silence, but it's not far from it. Gen Adm cars are usually packed and much louder. You are free to walk from one end of the train to the other while in transit, so take a stroll through and you'll see what I mean. Finally, don't plan anything super tight time wise if you take a train. They hit cars far more often than you'd think, which leads to hours long delays. My dad has taken Amtrak from Richmond to Miami three times, and on both legs of all three trips they hit a car. The conductor told him it happens more often than not on longer trips, so keep that in mind when scheduling things.
Sounds like a liability lawyer could deduct time and expenses off taxes on all train trips and call it prospecting.
Sly Fox liked this
By Liberty2020
For the Lyh-wash part of your trip the northeast regional leaves out of Roanoke and is usually the one that gets to our station most on time. The crescent is all over the place reliability wise. Some days it will be on time other times hours late getting into Lynchburg. Also if you get out off the train at the crystal city stop it drops you off a couple blocks from DCA and is only a couple minute walk . Which can save on fares which DCA cabs are big on having picking up from union station.
Sly Fox liked this
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
I echo the comments on the Crescent and reliability. The Northeast Regional is far more reliable than the crescent. As for the difference between business class and regular, honestly I wouldn't spring for business class. Coach has plenty of leg room, and there isn't any real difference in the soft product like there is on the airlines.

Also, there is no "Crystal City," Amtrak stop, but there is one in Alexandria. It is right across from a Metro station, which can quickly get you to DCA as well.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I consider myself a bit of a Metro pro so that part is no problem. Thanks for all of the intel!
JK37 liked this
By Liberty2020
I got the stop mixed up. Alexandria is the closest stop the northeast regional has as A train stated
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
No biggie. Even the Union Station run over to DCA is ridiculously quick.

I do however look forward to seeing the Silver Line get all the way out to Dulles. These are the types of concerns those of us from out of the region have with Metro.
By bigsmooth
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: April 18th, 2022, 5:42 pm
Sly Fox wrote: April 18th, 2022, 5:29 pm It looks like I might e able to swing the BYU game in Lynchburg. I am going to be working up in DC that week and Intend to try the Amtrak service out.

Just pondering ...

Smooth and I will be at Arkansas
look out Arkansas!

Agreed Cruzan. Memphis just got $5 million a […]

New Mexico State

Crazy game, should have won it about an hour and a[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

We went from everyone on the team being 6’7&[…]

2024 Season Thread

This weekend is a big series on the road against a[…]