Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Ill flame
I'm suprised no one is talking about the 2023 nonconference schedule being announced yet.

Sept 2- Bowling Green
Sept 16- @ Buffalo
Sept 30- Old Dominion
Nov 18- UMass

On one hand it's cool that we will play 12 fbs games and 7 home games but on the other hand we may only play 3-4 bowl team between old dominion, wku, mtsu and Louisiana tech. If there was ever a time to go undefeated this would be it.

https://www.aseaofred.com/liberty-annou ... -schedule/
By rtb72
Ill flame wrote: July 21st, 2022, 9:58 pm I'm suprised no one is talking about the 2023 nonconference schedule being announced yet.

Sept 2- Bowling Green
Sept 16- @ Buffalo
Sept 30- Old Dominion
Nov 18- UMass

On one hand it's cool that we will play 12 fbs games and 7 home games but on the other hand we may only play 3-4 bowl team between old dominion, wku, mtsu and Louisiana tech. If there was ever a time to go undefeated this would be it.

Yeah...the extra game at home will be nice. A little disappointed in the games we had to drop, but should make for a very winnable schedule and an appearance in conference championship and bowl game. Anything other than domination with this schedule will be a disappointment.
CCWMichael liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
I just want my seats back! :D
rtb72 liked this
By rtb72
Purple Haize wrote: July 22nd, 2022, 9:08 am I just want my seats back! :D
When all this happened to you PH, I thought...wouldn't it be funny if you showed up at the first game at home and your old seats belonged to none other than Ballcoach and his group :lol:
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
rtb72 wrote: July 22nd, 2022, 9:19 am When all this happened to you PH, I thought...wouldn't it be funny if you showed up at the first game at home and your old seats belonged to none other than Ballcoach and his group :lol:
Ballcoach likes to sit on the students' side of the stadium. :shock: As to why, you can draw your own conclusions. :oldhag
rtb72, Purple Haize, Baybird and 1 others liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
rtb72 wrote: July 22nd, 2022, 9:19 am
Purple Haize wrote: July 22nd, 2022, 9:08 am I just want my seats back! :D
When all this happened to you PH, I thought...wouldn't it be funny if you showed up at the first game at home and your old seats belonged to none other than Ballcoach and his group :lol:
Ha! That would actually be funny! I would not be surprised if one of you chowder heads did it out of spite or jealousy because of my true awesomeness! Just remember you can sit in my seats, but you will not look as cool as me in them! :D

Side note UAB tickets are up for sale
rtb72, ballcoach15 liked this
By sstaedtler
Ill flame wrote: July 21st, 2022, 9:58 pm I'm suprised no one is talking about the 2023 nonconference schedule being announced yet.

Sept 2- Bowling Green
Sept 16- @ Buffalo
Sept 30- Old Dominion
Nov 18- UMass

To be quite honest, this schedule stinks. That said, we had to get rid of 20 plus games and trying to get out of all those contracts is quite a pain. I can take one year with an easy schedule. If this starts to extend into 2-4 years, I get very concerned. It is imperative that out of App. State, Coastal Carolina, and Marshall, we keep at least 2 out of 3 in 2024.
Cider Jim, CCWMichael liked this
By Ill flame
I don't think there is much debating that the 2023 scheme is trash but that was expected. The 2024 schedule looks like it'll be a little better but not by much. Where the schedule starts to improve again is 2025. One of those two P5s will likely come off the schedule along with the fcs school. That would hopefully leave us with wake forest/duke, army, old dominion, uconn/umass which is solid imo.

With the way our future schedules are laid out it makes the most sense to me to continue to schedule 2 for 1 deals with lower tier P5s and have the other 3 nonconference games be home and homes with regional G5s. This way we almost always have 2 home and 2 away nonconference games with no fcs schools.
By sstaedtler
Ill flame wrote: July 22nd, 2022, 9:22 pm I don't think there is much debating that the 2023 scheme is trash but that was expected. The 2024 schedule looks like it'll be a little better but not by much. Where the schedule starts to improve again is 2025. One of those two P5s will likely come off the schedule along with the fcs school. That would hopefully leave us with wake forest/duke, army, old dominion, uconn/umass which is solid imo.

With the way our future schedules are laid out it makes the most sense to me to continue to schedule 2 for 1 deals with lower tier P5s and have the other 3 nonconference games be home and homes with regional G5s. This way we almost always have 2 home and 2 away nonconference games with no fcs schools.
Here is what I see as being possible in 2024-2026 based on things I've heard. I have an inkling Marshall series is canceled because MTSU announced they are playing Marshall in 2026 and a future year, and this fits the pattern of us giving good opponents we can't play to other CUSA teams. 2026 Marshall game would have been 3rd road game out of 4 non conferences, also problematic. Here is what I see:

2024 - Coastal Carolina, Ball State, at App. State, at UMass
2025 - Wake Forest, at Army, at Old Dominion, ETSU
2026 - at Wake Forest, at Ball State, Army, James Madison

Someone at UMass said something that makes me think we only keep 2023-2024 UMass, not the rest. Anyhow, 2024 had two of the best G5's and local, despite no Power 5. 2025 you get a P5 home game and two kind of tough road games in ODU and Army. 2026 you still get Wake on the road and JMU/Army is not a bad home slate.

Two things could mess this up:

1. Cancelling Coastal in 2024 for an FCS team
2. Cancelling JMU in 2026 for an FCS team
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
I would hate to see us lose games on our schedule to Marshall or Coastal. Both would be good regional rivalries.
rtb72, LUOrange liked this
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
It’s clear the scheduling strategy has shifted, and dramatically so. I really can’t figure out what the new strategy is!
LUOrange liked this
By Ill flame
JK37 wrote: July 24th, 2022, 8:45 am It’s clear the scheduling strategy has shifted, and dramatically so. I really can’t figure out what the new strategy is!
I'm not sure that it's actually shifted. Right now the strategy is to get as many games off the schedule as possible.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: July 24th, 2022, 12:26 pm I’d like to hear if the weakness of the schedule is ideal.
Not sure, but it sure has helped the Beach Chickens become the most over-ranked team every year. At least until they get into the playoffs or bowl games and get lit up.
Ill flame, LUOrange, phoenix and 1 others liked this
By tyndal23
JK37 wrote: July 24th, 2022, 12:26 pm I’d like to hear if the weakness of the schedule is ideal.
Ideal for head coaches and their agents, and for fans who like to beat their chest over stats and win % records. Not ideal for attendance, fan base growth, tv audience, national perception, playoff committees, etc.
JK37, Baybird, LUOrange and 1 others liked this
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
tyndal23 wrote: July 24th, 2022, 1:25 pm
Ideal for head coaches and their agents, and for fans who like to beat their chest over stats and win % records. Not ideal for attendance, fan base growth, tv audience, national perception, playoff committees, etc.
Agreed. And let’s face it LU could have the same record vs. the same schedule, and Coastal would still get more notoriety and respect. Impartiality is dead.
By LUOrange
Cider Jim wrote: July 23rd, 2022, 6:17 pm I would hate to see us lose games on our schedule to Marshall or Coastal. Both would be good regional rivalries.
Let's not forget Appy's also on the 2024 schedule. Keeping Appy, Marshall, ODU, and the Chickens in 24 would alleviate some of the loss the P5.

I, also, wouldn't immediately kick UMASS to the curb. I'd keep them over an FCS squad. I'm also a little partial to our fellow rejects.
By LUOrange
flameshaw wrote: July 24th, 2022, 1:03 pm
Not sure, but it sure has helped the Beach Chickens become the most over-ranked team every year. At least until they get into the playoffs or bowl games and get lit up.
They were also rewarded us in the Cure Bowl for their weak undefeated scheduled effort. I still haven't bought into the argument that running through CUSA 4.0 and a weak non-conference really helps us with a NY6 or the playoff committee.
By sstaedtler
Appears we are keeping at Appalachian State and Coastal Carolina in 2024. As for the other games, we have 3 left and only 2 games can stay. I'd prefer to keep Marshall but I doubt they do.

At Appalachian State - KEPT
Coastal Carolina - KEPT
Marshall. ???
At UMass ???
Campbell ???
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
I hope we man up and keep Marshall. :pray
sstaedtler, LUOrange, rtb72 and 1 others liked this
By Logic
I appreciate all the insights - but did anyone actually list a schedule? Do we know? FBS schedules site isn’t clear, and I’m having a hard time putting together all the conflicting info in this thread.

Could a mod update this page for 2023? : viewtopic.php?f=2&t=21396
By LUOrange
The JMU news was disappointing just like most of the scheduling changes have been. Although, if the 2026 noncoference stays with what's left, it's still pretty good. It would've been nice to move them to 2027, but at least we signed a new home and home with them. I do think by 2033 we'll be sharing a conference with them anyway, unless we're fortunate enough to make into an ACC leftovers conference.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
LUOrange wrote: August 9th, 2022, 6:53 pm The JMU news was disappointing...
I blame it on Ballcoach. He's been bad mouthing JMU for decades. :blahblah
LUOrange, alabama24 liked this
LaTech

Looks like we'll have to win with pitching cause t[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my fa[…]