Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Everything is tentative including the NMSU game which was given back to the CUSA office. We are still working our way out of some dates in order to accomodate the eight league games that fall.
By Logic
Yes was hoping there would be something official by now from the conference office that I missed.
By LUOrange
Since we gave JSU our game against SC, our 2023 schedule's gonna suck. I don't understand why we're dropping all/most of our P5 games, especially UVA & SC who both would've fit our nearby regional P5 opponent philosophy that we're not adhering to.
Purple Haize liked this
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Our AD has a giant jigsaw puzzle he is working right now for 2023. I have to assume he is working to buy out of some of those MACtion dates. I know we are loathe to give up the guarantee game with ETSU, but it likely is on the chopping block as well.

I do wonder if we received any concessions from UVa or South Carolina for giving up the dates.
By Ill flame
I guess on the bright side we could very realistically win 10+ games that year with as weak of a schedule that it is.
LUOrange liked this
By tyndal23
Sly Fox wrote: May 11th, 2022, 11:11 pm Our AD has a giant jigsaw puzzle he is working right now for 2023. I have to assume he is working to buy out of some of those MACtion dates. I know we are loathe to give up the guarantee game with ETSU, but it likely is on the chopping block as well.

I do wonder if we received any concessions from UVa or South Carolina for giving up the dates.
I certainly don’t think we paid any sort of penalty. As for dropping SC - I have no problem with it. Replacing 7 games in 1 season on short notice is no bueno. I think the 1 for 1 MAC games are going to be tougher to let go than most think and they are all early. ODU will be flexible with us. Coastal may really be in jeopardy - hope not.
By sstaedtler
The game we are supposed to get rid of today on the rumor mill is outrageous. I thought losing two P5's was due to them being later in the year, and conflicting with CUSA. That is not the case. All of this is clearly to save Liberty money, which I get, but at huge cost. They keep taking the best games off our schedule...not UMass and UConn.
By Ill flame
sstaedtler wrote: May 13th, 2022, 6:37 pm The game we are supposed to get rid of today on the rumor mill is outrageous. I thought losing two P5's was due to them being later in the year, and conflicting with CUSA. That is not the case. All of this is clearly to save Liberty money, which I get, but at huge cost. They keep taking the best games off our schedule...not UMass and UConn.
I think there's more to the story than just saving money. The other team also usually has a big say in the situation. Umass and uconn are the schools that are struggling the most to schedule anyone, especially umass so I'm not suprised by any of this although I am disappointed.
By tyndal23
More winnable games in 23 & 24 not terrible, no playoffs anyway. 2022 will just be a stark comparison of a long term alternate route not chosen. If 2022 is 7-5regular season and 23 is a 10 win season, most casuals will prefer 2023. ( not me ). But it is what it is.
By Ill flame
sstaedtler wrote: May 13th, 2022, 8:32 pm I don't see how you get recruits to come here playing no P5's and teams like UMass and UConn is out of conference.
Outside of the P5/G5 divide the biggest factor in recruiting is winning. We are bringing in significantly better recruits now than when we first moved up to fbs because we are seen as a winning program now, not because we have Virginia tech, Arkansas and BYU on the schedule. We will bring in better recruits with a 10-2 record against the 2023 schedule than a 7-5 record against the 2022 schedule.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Ill flame wrote: May 13th, 2022, 9:26 pm
sstaedtler wrote: May 13th, 2022, 8:32 pm I don't see how you get recruits to come here playing no P5's and teams like UMass and UConn is out of conference.
Outside of the P5/G5 divide the biggest factor in recruiting is winning. We are bringing in significantly better recruits now than when we first moved up to fbs because we are seen as a winning program now, not because we have Virginia tech, Arkansas and BYU on the schedule. We will bring in better recruits with a 10-2 record against the 2023 schedule than a 7-5 record against the 2022 schedule.
I get that. But I’d like to see LU have one Premiere/ Marquee game a year. Win or lose it’s a good chit for recruiting. You could tell recruits you get a chance at a Conference Championship every year and a shot at a Big Tame every year. The flaw becomes winning a couple of those games or get blown out in a couple of them.
But honestly it would give me and Smoothie great road trip options every year!
LUOrange liked this
By tyndal23
Ill flame wrote: May 13th, 2022, 9:26 pm
You did a player survey?
By Ill flame
tyndal23 wrote: May 14th, 2022, 3:17 pm
You did a player survey?
I did play college sports and then helped with recruiting after my playing days were over so I have a decent idea what recruits are looking for. Plus it doesn't take a rocket surgeon to figure out teams that win get the best players
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Ill flame wrote: May 14th, 2022, 4:31 pm Plus it doesn't take a rocket surgeon to figure out teams that win get the best players
What's a rocket surgeon? :dontgetit
flamehunter liked this
By tyndal23
Ill flame wrote: May 14th, 2022, 4:31 pm
You did a player survey?
I did play college sports and then helped with recruiting after my playing days were over so I have a decent idea what recruits are looking for. Plus it doesn't take a rocket surgeon to figure out teams that win get the best players
Texas Longhorns called....
By Ill flame
tyndal23 wrote: May 14th, 2022, 5:01 pm
You did a player survey?
I honestly can't tell if you're agreeing with me. Texas is one of the bluest of blue bloods that just won 10 games a few years ago. They kind of support my point although I'm not saying that winning is everything. Just the biggest thing.
By tyndal23
Ill flame wrote: May 14th, 2022, 7:00 pm
tyndal23 wrote: May 14th, 2022, 5:01 pm

I honestly can't tell if you're agreeing with me. Texas is one of the bluest of blue bloods that just won 10 games a few years ago. They kind of support my point although I'm not saying that winning is everything. Just the biggest thing.
Just making fun of 5-7 Texas who gets top recruiting classes every year but can’t do anything with it. I do disagree with you on the recruits staying high with lowest SOS in FBS - it will effect it slightly - too many have stated our schedule was a deciding factor on why they came. But we aren’t going to have a 2023 type schedule for more than a couple of years. We need to focus on scheduling top rated schools in AAC, Sunbelt and MAC annually. 1 bad P5 team is enough if you win it and beat 3 G5 conference champs. I have my doubts it grows LU local fan base and national alumni tv viewing - we were all spoiled with 2020. Hopefully we get beat down bad by P5 teams next year, otherwise their will be a lot of pushback from fans on CUSA move.
By Ill flame
tyndal23 wrote: May 15th, 2022, 12:58 pm Just making fun of 5-7 Texas who gets top recruiting classes every year but can’t do anything with it. I do disagree with you on the recruits staying high with lowest SOS in FBS - it will effect it slightly - too many have stated our schedule was a deciding factor on why they came. But we aren’t going to have a 2023 type schedule for more than a couple of years. We need to focus on scheduling top rated schools in AAC, Sunbelt and MAC annually. 1 bad P5 team is enough if you win it and beat 3 G5 conference champs. I have my doubts it grows LU local fan base and national alumni tv viewing - we were all spoiled with 2020. Hopefully we get beat down bad by P5 teams next year, otherwise their will be a lot of pushback from fans on CUSA move.
I think we are in agreement more than you realize. I agree that we should focus on playing the top G5s in our non conference games, just not because of recruiting. To get into a NY6 bowl (or eventually CFP) we just need to be the top G5. As long as we are playing and beating other top G5s it really doesn't matter if we play a P5 most years. Imo the P5 game we we do play at least needs to be winnable. Ideally we would play lower tier P5s like Kansas or Syracuse but the occasional mid tier game is fine depending on who it is. We gain nothing from playing teams like Clemson or Alabama, sure it would be massive for the program if we did win it but what are the odds of that happening even if we are one of the top G5s?

I even agree that schedule can play a role in recruiting but it's not a big factor compared to being a winning program. Up to this point we've had one season with a SOS in the top 100 according to FPI and we were ranked 96. FPI is also projecting us to have a SOS of 108 this upcoming season although you can't put much stock in preseason rankings. That 2023 schedule is pretty standard for us as a program. I really don't think the weak schedules are hurting us. I guess someone could make a case that we could be further along as a program if we played a tougher schedule up to this point, I just won't agree with that argument.
By Ill flame
sstaedtler wrote: May 16th, 2022, 10:21 am Freeze is going to want out of here fast with what they are doing to the schedule
He is the one that asked for them so I hope he doesn't request cupcakes then bounce.
flamehunter liked this
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
sstaedtler wrote: May 16th, 2022, 10:21 am Freeze is going to want out of here fast with what they are doing to the schedule
Based on what HF is on record as saying about his scheduling preferences, you could not be more wrong.
LUOrange liked this
Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

I think we should do whatever Tech and UVA do as[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

That might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen per[…]

North Carolina

We had a runner on base in the bottom of the 7th i[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

I saw 3 of our prospects at Convo this morning. Ji[…]