Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
Plus, it is not farfetched to believe HCHF already knew this 2023 schedule was a strong possibility. The other thought I've had concerning the 2023 schedule is this, HCHF can still sell one of his biggest recruiting pitches which is, "be the first". In other words, be the first team to win an FBS conference title in their first year of CUSA. Those things still matter and I think 2023 could be a great opportunity to make a run at an undefeated season.
By sstaedtler
Freeze said he wanted regional G5's and one Power 5. Instead we seem to be saving MAC games and UMass/UConn.
By Logic
What is the schedule? Are we not updating ASOR future schedules posts any longer?
By sstaedtler
To let people know how far Liberty is behind on scheduling, compare us to the other Independents joining conferences. Games each team needs to get rid of due to joining a conference:

BYU 5
New Mexico State 9
Liberty 19
By LUOrange
sstaedtler wrote: June 6th, 2022, 11:38 am To let people know how far Liberty is behind on scheduling, compare us to the other Independents joining conferences. Games each team needs to get rid of due to joining a conference:

BYU 5
New Mexico State 9
Liberty 19
That is what we know of. So far the only thing we really know is that our UVA & SC games are gone (and possibly a very good G5 game). Liberty hasn't officially announced anything that I know of.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
My understanding is that Ian is working with multiple schools to manage every single necessary slot. I have heard that in some cases as many as four teams loving games around aree part of thee strategy. Again, just what I am hearing. We are trying to not only clear out inventory but help out our new CUSA colleagues while leveraging some of the value we have in our contracts. I don't envy Ian in this massive project.
Baybird liked this
By sstaedtler
Lost 3 North Carolina games including a home 2028 game. I think we still have 17 games to get rid of. Please get rid of all UMass games soon. I beg of you Ian.
By LUOrange
I've mostly been supportive of joining the new misfit Toys-CUSA. I, also understand the necessity of dropping 8 games a year for CUSA. However, I don't understand why it seems that we're dropping all of our P5's, especially regional and drivable opponents. This doesn't even fit the proposed non-conference scheduling philosophy McCaw announced. I would love for McCaw to give a good explanation and justification(beyond the standard PR script he always provides) for this that would allow me to be more understanding and supportive of these decisions.
Ill flame, Purple Haize liked this
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
LUOrange wrote: June 23rd, 2022, 10:46 am I've mostly been supportive of joining the new misfit Toys-CUSA. I, also understand the necessity of dropping 8 games a year for CUSA. However, I don't understand why it seems that we're dropping all of our P5's, especially regional and drivable opponents. This doesn't even fit the proposed non-conference scheduling philosophy McCaw announced. I would love for McCaw to give a good explanation and justification(beyond the standard PR script he always provides) for this that would allow me to be more understanding and supportive of these decisions.
I suspect not all of them have been our decision.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
LUOrange wrote: June 23rd, 2022, 10:46 am I've mostly been supportive of joining the new misfit Toys-CUSA. I, also understand the necessity of dropping 8 games a year for CUSA. However, I don't understand why it seems that we're dropping all of our P5's, especially regional and drivable opponents. This doesn't even fit the proposed non-conference scheduling philosophy McCaw announced. I would love for McCaw to give a good explanation and justification(beyond the standard PR script he always provides) for this that would allow me to be more understanding and supportive of these decisions.
One P5 or P4 per year. G5's will be the new
FCS punching bag for them. Their cupcake week.

Hope I'm wrong.
LUOrange liked this
By LUOrange
TH Spangler wrote: July 6th, 2022, 1:54 pm
One P5 or P4 per year. G5's will be the new
FCS punching bag for them. Their cupcake week.

Hope I'm wrong.
My thoughts are definitely evolving with the recent Big 10 moves. I'm leaning towards 3 tiers of FBS/1A. I'm hoping we'll be able to land in Tier 2 when the music stops.
By sstaedtler
My fear is that Ian feels some loyalty to UMass and UConn because they are Independents and he knows how hard it is to schedule. We play UMass like 6 straight years! To ask fans to have an FCS game and UMass as their home games out of conference is completely unacceptable. If we have to have to play UMass and UConn, get rid of the FCS game for good. We still have 15 games we need to get rid of on future schedules.
Ill flame, LUOrange liked this
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
sstaedtler wrote: July 7th, 2022, 10:55 pm If we have to have to play UMass and UConn, get rid of the FCS game for good.
With all due respect, you need to think like a coach/AD instead of like a fan. One FCS win counts toward the 6 wins needed to be eligible for a BOWL game! :fineprint
ballcoach15, flameshaw liked this
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
It is not just about getting rid of games. He may be more focusd on moving games to different years.
By LUOrange
Cider Jim wrote: July 8th, 2022, 8:19 am
sstaedtler wrote: July 7th, 2022, 10:55 pm If we have to have to play UMass and UConn, get rid of the FCS game for good.
With all due respect, you need to think like a coach/AD instead of like a fan. One FCS win counts toward the 6 wins needed to be eligible for a BOWL game! :fineprint
To Staedtler's point though, until they show some life UMASS is practically an FCS game. UCONN's not far behind them. I do have some sympathy and loyalty to UMASS, but why can't we at least get some MBB games out of the deal?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
LUOrange wrote: July 8th, 2022, 6:58 pm
To Staedtler's point though, until they show some life UMASS is practically an FCS game. UCONN's not far behind them. I do have some sympathy and loyalty to UMASS, but why can't we at least get some MBB games out of the deal?
But by playing UMASS and an FCS they essentially only have to win 4 more games to be Bowl eligible. And THAT is always the measuring stick
By Ill flame
LUOrange wrote: July 8th, 2022, 6:58 pm To Staedtler's point though, until they show some life UMASS is practically an FCS game. UCONN's not far behind them. I do have some sympathy and loyalty to UMASS, but why can't we at least get some MBB games out of the deal?
Good point. The occasional football game against those schools wouldn't be so bad if we got a relatively attractive home basketball game out of it. Unfortunately that just hasn't been happening. I don't see uconn being a team we end up playing every year moving forward. They have been relatively successful at scheduling in their short time as an independent and won't need to rely on us as much. UMASS on the other hand has not done as well and will need a lot of help to fill out their schedules moving forward. Regularly playing them in basketball as a consolation prize would be a big step up from a lot of our current non tournament competition.
LUOrange liked this
By LUOrange
Ill flame wrote: July 9th, 2022, 12:52 am
LUOrange wrote: July 8th, 2022, 6:58 pm To Staedtler's point though, until they show some life UMASS is practically an FCS game. UCONN's not far behind them. I do have some sympathy and loyalty to UMASS, but why can't we at least get some MBB games out of the deal?
Good point. The occasional football game against those schools wouldn't be so bad if we got a relatively attractive home basketball game out of it. Unfortunately that just hasn't been happening. I don't see uconn being a team we end up playing every year moving forward. They have been relatively successful at scheduling in their short time as an independent and won't need to rely on us as much. UMASS on the other hand has not done as well and will need a lot of help to fill out their schedules moving forward. Regularly playing them in basketball as a consolation prize would be a big step up from a lot of our current non tournament competition.
UConn hasn't had and probably won't have issues scheduling due to their old Big East relationships and their BB teams. I believe that I read that they'd like to keep thei football schedule focused in the northeast, even if it means 2 FCS games as well. But I also believe UConn will be on a quick shortlist of ACC back-fill candidates once the NFL Lite pro conferences are set up.

UMASS isn't that lucky. For me part of the appeal on CUSA 4.0 is that it's the rejects conference, and UMASS football fits that. So, Im not opposed to playing them, but I do agree that we should drop the FCS games so long as they remain on our schedule while they stink.
By sstaedtler
With all due respect, if we can't get 6 wins in this version of CUSA, we don't deserve to go to a bowl game. Some other G5 coaches are scheduling much harder out of conference than we are going forward, including in this state. It's not as if other teams don't notice we are beating up on UMass, UConn, Akron, Bowling Green, New Mexico, etc....by playing weak teams your chance of getting TV exposure is less.
LUOrange liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Big 10 teams have feasted off cupcakes for years. You don't have to play a SEC west schedule. Just beat whoever you play
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
The under performing P2 teams with their new 100 million dollar payday will use it for coach shopping. HF?
By LU 57
LUOrange wrote: July 9th, 2022, 6:07 pm
Ill flame wrote: July 9th, 2022, 12:52 am
UConn hasn't had and probably won't have issues scheduling due to their old Big East relationships and their BB teams. I believe that I read that they'd like to keep thei football schedule focused in the northeast, even if it means 2 FCS games as well. But I also believe UConn will be on a quick shortlist of ACC back-fill candidates once the NFL Lite pro conferences are set up.

UMASS isn't that lucky. For me part of the appeal on CUSA 4.0 is that it's the rejects conference, and UMASS football fits that. So, Im not opposed to playing them, but I do agree that we should drop the FCS games so long as they remain on our schedule while they stink.
Had a conversation with a couple of UCONN coaches prior to the USC/UCLA news. They seem to believe they will end up in the ACC or possibly the Big Ten.
LUOrange liked this
2024 Season Thread

This weekend is a big series on the road against a[…]

https://i.postimg.cc/bJsNVRB7/20240416-152017.jp[…]

New Mexico State

Final home CUSA 3 game series, starts tonight. NM[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

Sounds like you don't watch UVA play that much. I […]