Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
sstaedtler wrote: July 10th, 2022, 1:15 am
With all due respect, if we can't get 6 wins in this version of CUSA, we don't deserve to go to a bowl game.
It's called working/coaching/playing smarter not harder. Study
We all know this is not the first rodeo for Hugh Freeze and our AD. They know what they are doing. From day 1, Coach Freeze's mission statement was to get us into bowl games, where we have been 3-0 in his 3 years of coaching at LU. It's hard to argue with that success.
rtb72, michaeleyou liked this
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
LU 57 wrote: July 10th, 2022, 1:56 pm
LUOrange wrote: July 9th, 2022, 6:07 pm
Ill flame wrote: July 9th, 2022, 12:52 am

Good point. The occasional football game against those schools wouldn't be so bad if we got a relatively attractive home basketball game out of it. Unfortunately that just hasn't been happening. I don't see uconn being a team we end up playing every year moving forward. They have been relatively successful at scheduling in their short time as an independent and won't need to rely on us as much. UMASS on the other hand has not done as well and will need a lot of help to fill out their schedules moving forward. Regularly playing them in basketball as a consolation prize would be a big step up from a lot of our current non tournament competition.
UConn hasn't had and probably won't have issues scheduling due to their old Big East relationships and their BB teams. I believe that I read that they'd like to keep thei football schedule focused in the northeast, even if it means 2 FCS games as well. But I also believe UConn will be on a quick shortlist of ACC back-fill candidates once the NFL Lite pro conferences are set up.

UMASS isn't that lucky. For me part of the appeal on CUSA 4.0 is that it's the rejects conference, and UMASS football fits that. So, Im not opposed to playing them, but I do agree that we should drop the FCS games so long as they remain on our schedule while they stink.
Had a conversation with a couple of UCONN coaches prior to the USC/UCLA news. They seem to believe they will end up in the ACC or possibly the Big Ten.
ACC

https://www.si.com/college/2022/07/09/u ... o-join-acc
LU 57 liked this
By sstaedtler
ballcoach15 wrote: July 10th, 2022, 6:24 am Big 10 teams have feasted off cupcakes for years. You don't have to play a SEC west schedule. Just beat whoever you play
That's different. Big 10 teams play in a conference where they are guaranteed a number of hard games. So they don't need an harder out of conference schedule. CUSA is not the Big 10.
flameshaw liked this
By LUOrange
I have a hard time believing UCONN gets into the B10, unless the BB10 is trying to improve their BB bonafides. They've already got 1 crappy football team outside of NYC to try and get in that TV market. I'm not sure they need another. I do firmly believe they're on the ACC backfill list. Hopefully, we'll be able to join them when the time comes. But, getting back to LU scheduling, that's where we need to improve our non-conference scheduling ASAP,
Last edited by LUOrange on July 11th, 2022, 11:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
By sstaedtler
To make matters infinitely worse, we just gave the Sept 7, 2024 game at UCF to Sam Houston State. This means in 2023 and 2024 we now have ZERO Power 5 teams. What in the heck are we doing? For once, can UMass, UConn, EMU, or Ball State get canceled instead of all these Power 5 games? Unreal! :cry:
By cruzan_flame13
sstaedtler wrote: July 13th, 2022, 12:45 pm To make matters infinitely worse, we just gave the Sept 7, 2024 game at UCF to Sam Houston State. This means in 2023 and 2024 we now have ZERO Power 5 teams. What in the heck are we doing? For once, can UMass, UConn, EMU, or Ball State get canceled instead of all these Power 5 games? Unreal! :cry:
I understand that scheduling is difficult. Nonetheless, the outcomes of canceling all those games that made our schedules have more to look forward to is really discouraging. To be honest I don't even think it's worth purchasing season tickets for the next few seasons. I'm sure that people will say that that's not commitment to the program; it is what it is. It's not worth taking my time to go to a game to see UMass and the likes when I can just watch the first half at home. We might continue getting good recruits because of Freeze. That can't cover the fact that our strength of schedule looks atrocious. I hope that this upcoming season will be a blast (pun intended) because this is likely the last season where there will be much of a challenge for the next few years. Just a thought.
LUOrange liked this
By Liberty_2023
In an ideal world we would keep the P5 games, however, those games are sacrifices that have to be make for the long term future of the program. Winning bowl games is our current phase. Very soon phase 2 will be winning bowl games and conference championships. Phase 3, once all this scheduling conflict is behind us will be competing nationally. As the program grows so will the fan base, but it will take time and shouldn’t be rushed.
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
sstaedtler wrote: July 13th, 2022, 12:45 pm To make matters infinitely worse, we just gave the Sept 7, 2024 game at UCF to Sam Houston State. This means in 2023 and 2024 we now have ZERO Power 5 teams.
UCF aint "power 5." Not now, and not later.
By tyndal23
Liberty_2023 wrote: July 13th, 2022, 2:47 pm In an ideal world we would keep the P5 games, however, those games are sacrifices that have to be make for the long term future of the program. Winning bowl games is our current phase. Very soon phase 2 will be winning bowl games and conference championships. Phase 3, once all this scheduling conflict is behind us will be competing nationally. As the program grows so will the fan base, but it will take time and shouldn’t be rushed.
Rise With Us Gradully !
Liberty_2023, LUOrange liked this
By Ill flame
We still have desirable teams on our 2024 and beyond schedules so I won't comment on those until more games are dropped. However that 2023 schedule looks like a great opportunity to win 10+ games and be in the NY6 conversation.
By sstaedtler
Ill flame wrote: July 13th, 2022, 4:57 pm We still have desirable teams on our 2024 and beyond schedules so I won't comment on those until more games are dropped. However that 2023 schedule looks like a great opportunity to win 10+ games and be in the NY6 conversation.
I don't think we have any chance to really be in NY6 conversation with how weak our 2023 out of conference schedule is. If we. lost the Coastal Carolina game, definitely not.
By Ill flame
sstaedtler wrote: July 13th, 2022, 7:44 pm
Ill flame wrote: July 13th, 2022, 4:57 pm We still have desirable teams on our 2024 and beyond schedules so I won't comment on those until more games are dropped. However that 2023 schedule looks like a great opportunity to win 10+ games and be in the NY6 conversation.
I don't think we have any chance to really be in NY6 conversation with how weak our 2023 out of conference schedule is. If we. lost the Coastal Carolina game, definitely not.
If we go undefeated we would be in over a 1 loss G5 team especially if we blow out most of our opponents. Even if we get left out we will have all the talking heads debating on national TV about it. Coastal won't have their All American QB in 2023 and I imagine their coach will have moved on by then so I'm not super worried about them yet. Coastal is proof that beating up on cupcakes is better than losing to good teams.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Maybe the interlopers who took my seats this year will not renew and I can get them back next season
By cruzan_flame13
Purple Haize wrote: July 13th, 2022, 10:08 pm Maybe the interlopers who took my seats this year will not renew and I can get them back next season
You're going look and see who they are during a game aren't you.. :lol:
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
cruzan_flame13 wrote: July 13th, 2022, 11:10 pm
Purple Haize wrote: July 13th, 2022, 10:08 pm Maybe the interlopers who took my seats this year will not renew and I can get them back next season
Absolutely. I took the next two available seats in the row. I will absolutely know who they are And they will know me! :evil:
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: July 14th, 2022, 8:41 am
Absolutely. I took the next two available seats in the row. I will absolutely know who they are And they will know me! :evil:
I hope it's me :lol: We'll have a blast. Wear your MAGA hat. :lol:
LUOrange liked this
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
tyndal23 wrote: July 13th, 2022, 4:32 pm
Liberty_2023 wrote: July 13th, 2022, 2:47 pm In an ideal world we would keep the P5 games, however, those games are sacrifices that have to be make for the long term future of the program. Winning bowl games is our current phase. Very soon phase 2 will be winning bowl games and conference championships. Phase 3, once all this scheduling conflict is behind us will be competing nationally. As the program grows so will the fan base, but it will take time and shouldn’t be rushed.
Rise With Us Gradully !
Next win a bunch of games and land some bowl games against a few P4 7-5 or 6-6 teams.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote: July 14th, 2022, 12:43 pm

If it’s you I’ll still swear and root for the other team
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: July 14th, 2022, 10:36 pm

Unfortunately I'm use to a couple of my crew pulling for the visitors. Brother in law flip flops, I think that's a BJU thing :lol: and my buddy pulled for Army (army vet) even wore his Army sweatshirt. Can do without the #!*%$# though. :lol:
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote: July 15th, 2022, 11:28 am

Unfortunately I'm use to a couple of my crew pulling for the visitors. Brother in law flip flops, I think that's a BJU thing :lol: and my buddy pulled for Army (army vet) even wore his Army sweatshirt. Can do without the #!*%$# though. :lol:
I might pull for BYU.
TH Spangler liked this
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: July 15th, 2022, 11:35 am
I might pull for BYU.
Mormon lover?
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: July 15th, 2022, 11:35 am
TH Spangler wrote: July 15th, 2022, 11:28 am

I might pull for BYU.
This year will be your last chance. Now that they're in a P5 conf they'll never stoop low enough to schedule us again. :lol:
LUOrange liked this
Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my fa[…]

LaTech

Liberty 2 LaTech 0. Yoder pitched 1 hitter with 8 […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]