Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Racenut
Registration Days Posts
Just a quick shout out! I have thoroughly enjoyed this guy Andre' that does promotions and MC's the home basketball games. The guy has unlimited energy and has added a lot to the game day experience. He has even managed to get some of the lame older fans off their butts to create a bit of a home court advantage. Don't know if he is a student or not, only met him just briefly one time, but he seems like a genuinely good guy. Wish we could get him to do the home football games. Nothing kills momentum at a home football game during time outs more than some lame tunes and another Runk and Pratt commercial on the Jumbotron.
LUOrange, stokesjokes liked this
By rtb72
I recall about 35 to 40 years ago, UNC football home games had a "mike man" that used to get the crowd amped up. He would have witty chants and stir the crowd up during the whole game. If I remember correctly, they had a stage/runway and amplifier for him to move around on during the game. It made for a really fun game because he was part comedian too. To your point...this would not be a bad idea at all. Let me add, my kids prefer the student side versus the "Baptist" side where me and my wife sit partly because of the lack of energy.
LUOrange liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Racenut wrote: February 28th, 2022, 11:34 pm Just a quick shout out! I have thoroughly enjoyed this guy Andre' that does promotions and MC's the home basketball games. The guy has unlimited energy and has added a lot to the game day experience. He has even managed to get some of the lame older fans off their butts to create a bit of a home court advantage. Don't know if he is a student or not, only met him just briefly one time, but he seems like a genuinely good guy. Wish we could get him to do the home football games. Nothing kills momentum at a home football game during time outs more than some lame tunes and another Runk and Pratt commercial on the Jumbotron.
No offense to anyone, but he will NEVER get me off my butt. I cannot tolerate him. I tell the "Ole Men's Club" every game, "what I'd like to do with that microphone", he's screaming into. Basketball, (nor any other sport) does not need those dog and pony shows. I have season tickets, but I skipped some games, rather than having to hear him scream.
flameshaw liked this
By Racenut
Registration Days Posts
Fuddy Duddy! I suppose you would be Nero, being fed grapes and being fanned while the players perform. College sports should be interactive, where student athletes should be cheered on to do their best, where students in the stands cement their camaraderie and loyalty to their school for a lifetime. I guess it's just the circle of life where we just become old and in the way. At 63 years old, i'm glad i'm not there yet.
LUOrange liked this
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
Racenut wrote: February 28th, 2022, 11:34 pm Just a quick shout out! I have thoroughly enjoyed this guy Andre' that does promotions and MC's the home basketball games. The guy has unlimited energy and has added a lot to the game day experience. He has even managed to get some of the lame older fans off their butts to create a bit of a home court advantage. Don't know if he is a student or not, only met him just briefly one time, but he seems like a genuinely good guy. Wish we could get him to do the home football games. Nothing kills momentum at a home football game during time outs more than some lame tunes and another Runk and Pratt commercial on the Jumbotron.
Agree 10000%. Andre is a professional-level talent, I'm not sure if people realize just how good he is at his job. He would not be out of place managing the in-break entertainment at an NBA game.
LUOrange liked this
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: March 1st, 2022, 9:20 am
No offense to anyone, but he will NEVER get me off my butt. I cannot tolerate him. I tell the "Ole Men's Club" every game, "what I'd like to do with that microphone", he's screaming into. Basketball, (nor any other sport) does not need those dog and pony shows. I have season tickets, but I skipped some games, rather than having to hear him scream.
"I don't want to have fun and you can't make me."

maybe you'd be more comfortable at a golf tournament.
thepostman, ballcoach15, rtb72 and 1 others liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Serious question, why do athletic events need all this noise, dog and pony shows, etc during stoppage of play ? At softball games, they try to play music between pitches. If I want to hear music, I'd go to a concert.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Because not everybody that attends sporting events are diehard fans and it makes the event more enjoyable for those people and families. It isn't all about you. There is some gameday entertainment that isn't my cup of tea, but it isn't the end of the world.
jbock13, Baybird liked this
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
I don't like all the yelling and screaming. However, he is very talented, and 85% of people seem to enjoy it.

It is what it is. I don't need to be a miserable cretin just because I dislike it.

Certain posters here are probably the same ones trying to chase people out of the church sanctuary for showing up without a coat and tie.
ballcoach15 liked this
By SumItUp
Registration Days Posts
I'm amused at how many people sit on their hands watching the game, but jump up and down and go crazy to get a $5 t-shirt. Someday that energy and noise will be shifted to gametime and will make the arena a big home court advantage.
Sly Fox, jinxy liked this
By LUOrange
When I was a student in the mid-90's/Aluma years, we students never sat down.

I think T-shirt Dude Andre does a great job. He's pretty good at the hockey games, but that's only good cause the sound system in there is only good for music. Otherwise it sucks. But LU should use him at football games. Around 2014 or so they used a famine guy to ramp up the crowd, and Andre would be and is 100X better than that guy. The only changed I'd make is, I'd have him work the crowd more for more than the games and t-shirts. I'dd use him to get them going during big moments, get him involved with the cheerleaders, etc.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
rtb72 wrote: March 1st, 2022, 9:06 am I recall about 35 to 40 years ago, UNC football home games had a "mike man" that used to get the crowd amped up. He would have witty chants and stir the crowd up during the whole game. If I remember correctly, they had a stage/runway and amplifier for him to move around on during the game. It made for a really fun game because he was part comedian too. To your point...this would not be a bad idea at all. Let me add, my kids prefer the student side versus the "Baptist" side where me and my wife sit partly because of the lack of energy.
Tarhole football is an oxymoron. One has to have something to entertain them, during the game. .
rtb72 liked this
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: March 1st, 2022, 12:56 pm Serious question, why do athletic events need all this noise, dog and pony shows, etc during stoppage of play ? At softball games, they try to play music between pitches. If I want to hear music, I'd go to a concert.
Nothing quite like a choreographed cheer from the softball dugout. Would rather bob for apples in a bucket of kerosene, than hear that stuff.
flamehunter, Dalegarz1, PAmedic and 2 others liked this
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote: March 1st, 2022, 4:55 pm
ballcoach15 wrote: March 1st, 2022, 12:56 pm Serious question, why do athletic events need all this noise, dog and pony shows, etc during stoppage of play ? At softball games, they try to play music between pitches. If I want to hear music, I'd go to a concert.
Nothing quite like a choreographed cheer from the softball dugout. Would rather bob for apples in a bucket of kerosene, than hear that stuff.
Hey poster what's the matter
Can't you take a little chatter

Oooh aaah! Oooh aaah!
flamehunter liked this
By LUOrange
jbock13 wrote: March 1st, 2022, 8:26 pm
flameshaw wrote: March 1st, 2022, 4:55 pm
Hey poster what's the matter
Can't you take a little chatter

Oooh aaah! Oooh aaah!
"WHO WANTS A T-SHIR???T!!!!"
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
The t shirt thing is mind blowing to me. Most of them suck and they are usually mediums yet people lose their minds over them.
LUOrange liked this
By rtb72
flameshaw wrote: March 1st, 2022, 4:49 pm
rtb72 wrote: March 1st, 2022, 9:06 am I recall about 35 to 40 years ago, UNC football home games had a "mike man" that used to get the crowd amped up. He would have witty chants and stir the crowd up during the whole game. If I remember correctly, they had a stage/runway and amplifier for him to move around on during the game. It made for a really fun game because he was part comedian too. To your point...this would not be a bad idea at all. Let me add, my kids prefer the student side versus the "Baptist" side where me and my wife sit partly because of the lack of energy.
Tarhole football is an oxymoron. One has to have something to entertain them, during the game. .
I'm certainly no fan, but my brother graduated from there so I went to games with him. This was also a long time ago, and they were a bit more tolerable. QB Rod Elkins and RB Kelvin Bryant were fun to watch. Dick Crum was the coach and one of the strangest people I've ever met.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
I don’t really know how to cheer at sporting events. I’ll stand up to get a better view, but that’s about it. Maybe clapping? But I grew up in an IFB church, so clapping for someone will always feel wrong. :lol:

Maybe Andre could help me.
Sly Fox, ballcoach15 liked this
By LUOrange
JK37 wrote: March 2nd, 2022, 7:10 am I don’t really know how to cheer at sporting events. I’ll stand up to get a better view, but that’s about it. Maybe clapping? But I grew up in an IFB church, so clapping for someone will always feel wrong. :lol:

I'm sure those Joker Kids would help you as well.
JK37 liked this
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
I'm not a fan of Andre' either, but what is worse is the morbidly obese Joker who takes off his shirt during free throws to jiggle his belly. If Ballcoach were still on active duty or still an usher, he would probably try to arrest the guy! :nono :fight

But I do like hearing McCracken and watching him slow dance by himself. :dance
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: March 2nd, 2022, 7:10 am I don’t really know how to cheer at sporting events. I’ll stand up to get a better view, but that’s about it. Maybe clapping? But I grew up in an IFB church, so clapping for someone will always feel wrong. :lol:

Yelling at the refs is a good way to "break the ice".

I think we should do whatever Tech and UVA do as f[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

That might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen per[…]

North Carolina

We had a runner on base in the bottom of the 7th i[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

I saw 3 of our prospects at Convo this morning. Ji[…]