Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

I was wondering how everyone felt about the ticket price increases? The seats I usually get have doubled in price. I get the increase for 2022, but what about 2023 and beyond? I have not decided if I am going to renew or not.
I agree. Should have just kept them where they are until we consistently sell the place out. Give the loyal fans a gift of VT and BYU as a thank you for being on board. I have 6 season tickets, but I might not renew and just find individual tickets. Might be hard for VT, but I can't always make every game and I'm pretty sure BYU or VT is being played while students are gone. They should be happy to set a record for attendance, not money.
If you want more, you gotta pay more.

Supply and demand.

BUT, maybe this price change lessens demand. We shall see. More people like those here decide not to renew, maybe.

I think the department might be anticipating VT and BYU fans buying the season for one game. So, cash in!
Our fan base complains that we are too good for CUSA and our fan base complains when ticket prices goes up. We still have a long ways to go until we can look down at conferences like CUSA.

But yeah. Probably a bit too early to raise the prices too much but I get it. They've gotta play the game and cash in on a strong home slate.
Purple Haize liked this
thepostman wrote: February 20th, 2022, 4:44 pm Our fan base complains that we are too good for CUSA and our fan base complains when ticket prices goes up. We still have a long ways to go until we can look down at conferences like CUSA.

But yeah. Probably a bit too early to raise the prices too much but I get it. They've gotta play the game and cash in on a strong home slate.
Miles to go, ha !!! Of the remaining CUSA teams Only home game that had more than 20k was vs a P5 team WKU/Indiana

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021_Conf ... all_season
Last edited by tyndal23 on February 20th, 2022, 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quit crying and pay up. If we want to play with the big boys, you have to spend a little dough. I have several friends that give tons of money to the Wolfpack Club, for over 20 years. They have worse parking and seats than I do. And they have to tailgate, don't have a pre-game meal to enjoy indoors. We still are paying bargain prices.
tyndal23, SumItUp, rtb72 and 1 others liked this
tyndal23 wrote: February 20th, 2022, 5:13 pm
thepostman wrote: February 20th, 2022, 4:44 pm Our fan base complains that we are too good for CUSA and our fan base complains when ticket prices goes up. We still have a long ways to go until we can look down at conferences like CUSA.

Miles to go, ha !!! Of the remaining CUSA teams Only home game that had more than 20k was vs a P5 team WKU/Indiana

Evidently we are right where we need to be then considering our only 2 home games above 20k since moving up was our first fbs home game and first P5 home game.
Ill flame wrote: February 20th, 2022, 5:41 pm

Evidently we are right where we need to be then considering our only 2 home games above 20k since moving up was our first fbs home game and first P5 home game.
Yes, apparently the general public does not like G5 Football and will only attend when a P5 team visits. Shocking. Good thing we are a basketball school and now will be in a 2 bid conference ( every 11 years ).
tyndal23 wrote: February 20th, 2022, 5:49 pm

Yes, apparently the general public does not like G5 Football and will only attend when a P5 team visits. Shocking. Good thing we are a basketball school and now will be in a 2 bid conference ( every 11 years ).
You got me there, brother. That’s good!

Even as an independent, we weren’t able to load up the home schedule with P5’s. I still don’t understand why we couldn’t just automatically be named P5-equivalent by the ACC, et al. THEN the P5’s would’ve come begging to play at Williams.
Purple Haize liked this
Purple Haize wrote:LU Fans - We should be P5
Also LU Fans - Tickets are too expensive
LU Athletics--Pay for your seats that you select on selection day. Pay your Flames Club dues to buy tickets in that section.
Also LU Athletics-- Last two home games==free tickets to anyone!
flameshaw wrote: February 20th, 2022, 5:23 pm Quit crying and pay up. If we want to play with the big boys, you have to spend a little dough. I have several friends that give tons of money to the Wolfpack Club, for over 20 years. They have worse parking and seats than I do. And they have to tailgate, don't have a pre-game meal to enjoy indoors. We still are paying bargain prices.
I don't disagree but our fanbase has proven time and time again that they aren't ready to be big time.
thesportscritic liked this
I do not expect that 2023 will be as expensive as 2022 season tickets. This is a rare opportunity for two visiting fan bases to buy season tix for the one game they actually want to attend. Ian used to do this in Waco for years to soak the Horns & Aggies. We don't have the rabid fans of those two schools on campus very often with the other ACC schools (Wake, Duke & UNC) we have coming in.

In essence, we have two guaranteed sellouts on our slate this fall. All other games will be practically HS prices or less on the secondary market as VT and BYU fans flood the market with unwanted ducats. Of course, if you give up your season tickets there is a strong chance you might wind up paying more overall if you want to go to the Tech & BYU games. On the other hand, if you maintain your Flames Club & season tickets this year, you might wind up being further up the priority list as some balk at the increase. Frankly I think biting the bullet utimately has the most upside.
LUOrange, JK37 liked this
thepostman wrote: February 21st, 2022, 10:03 am If I were local, there is no way I'd give up season tickets over this increase. I can't believe people are thinking about it. Ok I can believe it but such is LIBERTY
FIFY
thepostman liked this
JK37 wrote: February 20th, 2022, 6:21 pm
tyndal23 wrote: February 20th, 2022, 5:49 pm

You got me there, brother. That’s good!

Even as an independent, we weren’t able to load up the home schedule with P5’s. I still don’t understand why we couldn’t just automatically be named P5-equivalent by the ACC, et al. THEN the P5’s would’ve come begging to play at Williams.
You need to go study the Tyndal23 Plan in depth, all your generalities and specifics have been answered, time and again. As for “weren’t able” - substitute that with “unwilling”. We could have 2 home P5 games a year and 4 P5 road games. And catering to the local, minimal fan base rates last on the Tyndal23 plan. (every other small market broke G5 in has to do it completely opposite ). We aren’t UCF,CInci,Houston. The remaining G5 schools that have a chance to build up grass roots from G5 are Memphis, SDSU,CSU,UTSA. Boise St was very similar to App St but has had a sudden massive influx of population, even with all their success and regional tv numbers, they are still on the outside looking in. “Winning %” isn’t factored in nearly as much as tv eyeballs for P5 consideration. We are most comparable to App St. ( no tv market, hard to get to ) we have with a smaller local fan base, but much larger national base ) we both have a hard cap on local fan support. If LU decides to double its enrollment, then possibly they get in the 35k local fan level support ( playing G5 ). Compare the eyeballs of a decade of 6 P5 games, tv $ and national perception with 10 years of CUSA “winning”. What happens at the end of both scenarios? So again, let UMass take our Football slot, keep our other teams in CUSA.
I have no problem with Liberty raising prices for this season, it makes sense. I just hope that it comes back down some for 2023 at least until we host Tech again down the road...

That said I attended the Flames Club Town Hall this past Saturday and I was very disappointed at how few people showed up. They went over the pricing, loyalty plan, and had samples of the new seats. Other than folks not coming, my only real disappointment with the Flames Club was I wish they held it at 4pm instead of 5:30. Since it was at 5:30, it limited the time and effectiveness of the Town Hall since it was butting up against the Stetson game. That may have been the design, but hopefully they'll do another one soon where it's not as time limited. I think 2 hours would be more appropriate.

As much as I can complain, I think that overall our Athletic Department and Flames Club does a very good job. But explanations and communications goes a long ways in satisfying your base.
Personally we upgraded Flames Club level despite the price increase but not directly related tot he upcoming games but a result of how the club has treated my family --- stellar.
We have been offered to move our seats but will not as our daughter loves where we are at now. She loves the feel of the action there and wants to see her friends every year. As far as pricing I don't have any complaints with where they are at.
@tyndal23 “ We could have 2 home P5 games a year and 4 P5 road games.”

I can agree with just about all of it, except this. Snapping fingers doesn’t make it so. Throwing down obscene money doesn’t make it so (IF we even have it to throw down, which you’re far more certain of than anyone else here).

P5’s won’t want to play us once we see consistent success on the back of the bloated budget you’re pushing.

P5’s won’t want to help us become P5 equivalent because of our mission.

I’m skeptical. I want to believe your path is possible. I really, really do wish money could buy wins and friends. I just don’t believe it’s true.
JK37 wrote: February 21st, 2022, 8:35 pm @tyndal23 “ We could have 2 home P5 games a year and 4 P5 road games.”

I can agree with just about all of it, except this. Snapping fingers doesn’t make it so. Throwing down obscene money doesn’t make it so (IF we even have it to throw down, which you’re far more certain of than anyone else here).

P5’s won’t want to play us once we see consistent success on the back of the bloated budget you’re pushing.

I’m skeptical. I want to believe your path is possible. I really, really do wish money could buy wins and friends. I just don’t believe it’s true.
But that’s the linchpin of the entire scenario. If you don’t have that you have nothing
JK37 wrote: February 21st, 2022, 8:35 pm @tyndal23 “ We could have 2 home P5 games a year and 4 P5 road games.”

Snapping fingers? We actually have an easier time getting 1 off away games with P5 than series with a G5.
As for Home P5 games - that is where the extra investment comes in, countered by tv ( ESPN contract and larger home crowd ) balanced by 4 away P5 games that pay $ 1 million plus each. In addition to P5, pay the local G5 JMU and ODU 1 off games ( avoid home and home ).

BYU is hated by CA due to their huge $ investment in blocking gay marriage - had zero effect on sports scheduling. BYU blasted the “ mission” narrative out of the water with Big 12 invite.

The most liberal ACC schools have already scheduled us and most 2 for 1. That “ scheduling is too hard” logic doesn’t add up. Where it gets really hard, is trying to schedule a “probable” Bowl Game every year with 6 home games and a mix of P5 games.

PH calls it the unproven linchpin of my plan. BYU ( as all schools do ) decided to keep 6 home games as an Independent due to their large crowds and tv $ and past history - we would have to forego 6 and play 5 home games in my plan. Call it a “loss” or “investment” in the scheduling budget, but then do the math on CUSA earnings and our current budget and zoom out 10 years - where are we? Marshall, MTSU,EKU - G5 schools in small markets with up and down success, no $ and limited fan support.

Scheduling is 1 aspect, recruitng budget, coaching contract/budget,marketing $, it all has to be simultaneous.

We have our other sports in a FBS Conference now, with a real window to opt out of Football with a little “grease” and give our spot to UConn or UMass who are truly Basketball Schools with no willingness to make football a priority. Win Win for all. What changed since Ian made the CUSA desperation leap ? The threat of The Alliance making it harder to schedule P5 vanished and Playoffs got pushed 3 more years.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/memp[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

What is the scouting report on Isaiah Ihnen from […]

2024 Season Thread

This weekend is a big series on the road against a[…]

https://i.postimg.cc/bJsNVRB7/20240416-152017.jp[…]