Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

JK37 wrote: February 23rd, 2022, 7:34 am So it comes down to a step of faith. Either way.

I can agree with that.
And money. Lots and lots of money. Like finding multiple schools willing to pay LU $1 million to play on a consistent basis.
And then wins. You have to win one or two of those $1 million games a year to keep attracting P5 Equivalent talent.
But then it goes back to money. Because every $1 million game you win you will to find a replacement willing to pay LU $1 million since the team they just beat won’t schedule LU again
Despite my differences of opinion on non-conference scheduling philosophy with McCaw, I'm more than willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that he knows the current and future CFB political landscape than I do. I'm not upset with our CUSA move, not entirely happy, but it was probably necessary.

So but for 1 more tour, the Football Indy ship has sailed. Like it or not. Also, there's no way that it would make any sense for Liberty to break any contracts or agreements and tick off schools that we have relationships with. Our only way to fight the manufactured and self-inflicted bad reputations that we have caused by our faith, politics, and stupidity is by building good relationships with more and more schools. And pissing off our friends by trying to leave the ASUN early or by pissing off our new ones by trying to keep football Indy is ridiculous. Especially, when we're in CUSA and we would've followed JMU, MU & ODU to the SBC because of football.
Purple Haize wrote: February 23rd, 2022, 9:00 am
JK37 wrote: February 23rd, 2022, 7:34 am So it comes down to a step of faith. Either way.

I can agree with that.
And money. Lots and lots of money. Like finding multiple schools willing to pay LU $1 million to play on a consistent basis.
And then wins. You have to win one or two of those $1 million games a year to keep attracting P5 Equivalent talent.
But then it goes back to money. Because every $1 million game you win you will to find a replacement willing to pay LU $1 million since the team they just beat won’t schedule LU again
So VT never scheduled ODU and JMU again after losing? Of the 4 annual road games, 2 are series - 2 for 1.
LUOrange wrote: February 23rd, 2022, 3:18 pm Despite my differences of opinion on non-conference scheduling philosophy with McCaw, I'm more than willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that he knows the current and future CFB political landscape than I do. I'm not upset with our CUSA move, not entirely happy, but it was probably necessary.

So but for 1 more tour, the Football Indy ship has sailed. Like it or not. Also, there's no way that it would make any sense for Liberty to break any contracts or agreements and tick off schools that we have relationships with. Our only way to fight the manufactured and self-inflicted bad reputations that we have caused by our faith, politics, and stupidity is by building good relationships with more and more schools. And pissing off our friends by trying to leave the ASUN early or by pissing off our new ones by trying to keep football Indy is ridiculous. Especially, when we're in CUSA and we would've followed JMU, MU & ODU to the SBC because of football.
If presented properly, they might actually be all for it and prefer UMass/UConn football over LU.
tyndal23 wrote: February 23rd, 2022, 5:29 pm

I can agree with that.
So VT never scheduled ODU and JMU again after losing? Of the 4 annual road games, 2 are series - 2 for 1.
Did they schedule them every year?
Did they cancel any of the games ?
Did they pay $1 million ?
Purple Haize wrote: February 23rd, 2022, 9:19 pm

Did they schedule them every year? Yes. And 1 for 1. https://odusports.com/news/2017/7/28/211658104.aspx
Did they cancel any of the games ? U TELL ME
Did they pay $1 million ? They won’t pay us a $ 1 million either because they will be 2 for 1 just like now. As will 90 % of ACC teams. The 1 off away games like Auburn, Arkansas, Ole Miss, Rutgers, Big 12, Big 10 etc - 2 games a year - will average close to $ 1 million. Take that $ and pay for G5 1 off games with ODU, JMU, etc.
Not arguing the rest, but…

I bet JMU doesn’t touch any amount of $ from LU. Makes them look inferior to LU.

ODU, maybe. They have before.

I’m not sure if it makes sense economically for LU. Just because you CAN do something doesn’t mean you SHOULD.
JK37 wrote: February 24th, 2022, 7:28 pm Not arguing the rest, but…

I bet JMU doesn’t touch any amount of $ from LU. Makes them look inferior to LU.

ODU, maybe. They have before.

I’m not sure if it makes sense economically for LU. Just because you CAN do something doesn’t mean you SHOULD.
ODU is desperate for cash. Plus it helps Tech in the 757.
tyndal23 wrote: February 24th, 2022, 2:27 pm

Did they schedule them every year? Yes. And 1 for 1. https://odusports.com/news/2017/7/28/211658104.aspx
Did they pay $1 million ? They won’t pay us a $ 1 million either because they will be 2 for 1 just like now. As will 90 % of ACC teams. The 1 off away games like Auburn, Arkansas, Ole Miss, Rutgers, Big 12, Big 10 etc - 2 games a year - will average close to $ 1 million. Take that $ and pay for G5 1 off games with ODU, JMU, etc.

Are you changing your tune now? Earlier you said $1 million games. Now it appears you are saying games will add up to $1 million. Which is it? And what teams would be willing to pay that? Do you know what current payments are and have been? Further, are you aware that a handful of P5’s won’t play LU because their asking price is too much?
Purple Haize wrote: February 24th, 2022, 11:16 pm

Are you changing your tune now? Earlier you said $1 million games. Now it appears you are saying games will add up to $1 million. Which is it? And what teams would be willing to pay that? Do you know what current payments are and have been? Further, are you aware that a handful of P5’s won’t play LU because their asking price is too much?
Really? Our asking price is too high?
Purple Haize wrote: February 24th, 2022, 11:16 pm

Average does not = total PH. Rutgers paid us $1 million, Ole Miss paid us $1.5 million. Auburn paid us $1.4-1.7 ( can’t remember exact ). I say “average” because in the plan I tout we will offer to take less $ for those games and we will be playing bottom 1/3 of the P5 - so a Rutgers type we may offer to play a 1 off game for only $800k. My plan takes the “asking too much” scenario off the table. ( but please do share which P5 teams so far haven’t played us because of our asking price ).
@tyndal23 I’m not at “Liberty” to say what teams won’t pay LU’s asking price. Believe me or not it’s up to you. But what you are not seeing is a lot of ‘repeats’ with teams. Which should be eye opening
Lookit, you have your fantasy world and we get it. But the horse is dead. Let it be.
flameshaw liked this
Purple Haize wrote: February 25th, 2022, 5:07 pm @tyndal23 I’m not at “Liberty” to say what teams won’t pay LU’s asking price. Believe me or not it’s up to you. But what you are not seeing is a lot of ‘repeats’ with teams. Which should be eye opening
Lookit, you have your fantasy world and we get it. But the horse is dead. Let it be.
I agree we just sentenced our best horse o a slow death. No one on here seems to realize it yet. May take them a decade to figure it out. But if our Prez is listening, - offer UConn our football spot now before tv contracts are signed...
tyndal23 wrote: February 25th, 2022, 6:37 pm
Purple Haize wrote: February 25th, 2022, 5:07 pm @tyndal23 I’m not at “Liberty” to say what teams won’t pay LU’s asking price. Believe me or not it’s up to you. But what you are not seeing is a lot of ‘repeats’ with teams. Which should be eye opening
I agree we just sentenced our best horse o a slow death. No one on here seems to realize it yet. May take them a decade to figure it out. But if our Prez is listening, - offer UConn our football spot now before tv contracts are signed...
Yeah….everyone else is crazy. You’re the sane one….
I am glad for the CUSA move. I actually think LU was fortunate to get an invite all things considered. I think the OOC games were about to dry up...I think the who Sunbelt/CUSA mess right now is unfortunate but will be resolved soon. Once that happens...I think the 9 remaining CUSA teams will find out sticking together will work really well in the long run. Conference is spread out but the teams are competitive...shedule your closer teams ooc. Basketball will be super fun in the CUSA. For football ..we will probably have the CUSA schools ..one regional P5 away...then hopefully we can play either Coastal or ODU the last game of the year as a rivalry game...and throw in a nearby FCU school. I'm happy with that for where LU is as a program. If anyone would have told us 5 years ago that we'd be in the CUSA in 2023 we would have been thrilled. I'm still optomistic
I just hope the Sun Belt mess gets really bad for them. With Sun Belt inviting JMU and not Liberty, they deserve everything negative that happens to the conference. I hope entire Sun Belt schedule gets so messed up this season they lose a lot of games, and no one gets a bowl game.
I don't like price increase at all. Even worst is the deadline of today to renew season tickets.
When season tickets go on sale to the public, VT fans will buy them all, just to see 1 game. Seats will be empty for the other games. BYU fans may buy a few also.
ballcoach15 wrote: March 31st, 2022, 5:34 pm I don't like price increase at all. Even worst is the deadline of today to renew season tickets.
When season tickets go on sale to the public, VT fans will buy them all, just to see 1 game. Seats will be empty for the other games. BYU fans may buy a few also.
You’ve known about the deadline for awhile. LU folks had the opportunity to buy Season Tickets. I believe the number sold increased a good bit. And if tech fans buy tickets so what? They will try to sell the rest, probably below face value, so that’s a win-win, the Athletic Department gets their money, the stadium gets butts in seats and fans get tickets at a discount. Heck you even have the added potential of those fans realizing what a good product LU has and they become regular season ticket holders from now on.
thepostman, LUOrange liked this
thepostman wrote: March 31st, 2022, 5:58 pm Says a lot about our fan base or lack there of.
LU Fans - We should be P5. We should get big time P5 schools to play us at home
Also LU Fans - We have to pay for tickets? They are so expensive
LUOrange wrote: March 31st, 2022, 9:21 pm I think most of us doesn't mind the increase in price for the schedule we're getting this fall.
My same tickets almost DOUBLED in price in one year. Even with the faculty/staff discount, my $70 seats in section 203 went up to $136 this year. I'm cheap and probably don't make Purple's paycheck, so I opted for the $96 seats next door in section 202.

From what I can tell, these guys will confirm th[…]

I do most of my reading on airplanes and trains th[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

Professional protestors? Let me guess funded by […]

Expect it when you least expect it. Studying it is[…]