Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By AppManDG
See where Haskins has transferred to App for his Grad season. It appears he entered the Portal 5 games into this season. Would appreciate any insight on why he did. Good luck in CUSA. I expect you guys will do extremely well.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Haskins is a weird situation. Thought he played real well in 2020. We brought in more competition this year and he was more of a backup but had a decent role for sure. Made one of the most bizarre plays you will ever see against uab where he got burned then chased the uab wr backward for like 30 yards then tackled him 5 to 7 yards deep in the end zone and was flagged for it. Was taken out then in the portal. Completely quiet until he pops up at app visit this weekend.

I think he can be a solid backup but not sure hes a starting cb.
By AppManDG
Thanks for the response. That's not what I wanted to hear. We need a starter with experience. App has enjoyed an abundance of talent at CB the past 5-6 seasons. This year one was 1st team Football Writers Assn AA and two time 1st team all conference player, who is coming back for a Super Senior year. The starter in his place two years before was a Walter Camp & Sporting News AA now with the Packers. The other starter was a 3 time 1st team all conference guy who passed up his Super Senior year for a shot at the NFL. That's where the good news ends. We've had a few misses in recruiting the past couple of years (academic & character busts) and brought in transfers from Wisconsin and Morgan State as back-ups for those two for this past season. Now, we're in a jam. The other '22 starter will come from a group that includes a Jr who was switched from WR during the season, 3 red shirt freshmen, 3 true freshmen, or Haskins. Thanks again for the info.
By soccer7
Registration Days Posts
I wish App. State success and I hope Haskins performs well for your team. I hate to see a young man leave the program but I will always hope for the best for them!
By tyndal23
AppManDG wrote: January 8th, 2022, 9:51 pm Thanks for the response. That's not what I wanted to hear. We need a starter with experience. App has enjoyed an abundance of talent at CB the past 5-6 seasons. This year one was 1st team Football Writers Assn AA and two time 1st team all conference player, who is coming back for a Super Senior year. The starter in his place two years before was a Walter Camp & Sporting News AA now with the Packers. The other starter was a 3 time 1st team all conference guy who passed up his Super Senior year for a shot at the NFL. That's where the good news ends. We've had a few misses in recruiting the past couple of years (academic & character busts) and brought in transfers from Wisconsin and Morgan State as back-ups for those two for this past season. Now, we're in a jam. The other '22 starter will come from a group that includes a Jr who was switched from WR during the season, 3 red shirt freshmen, 3 true freshmen, or Haskins. Thanks again for the info.
Jinxy is spot on. I will add, he has the talent and instincts to be a stud, and proved it 2020 and some in 21. Some guys handle competition better than others or just need to hear a different voice. He is a baller and may have had a chip on his shoulder for not being the starter ( deserved or not - who knows what position coaches value more - often times, best athlete doesn’t start, or he responded wrong to a certain coaching style and felt “slighted” ). You got a good player who “should” plug and play.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
I def think he will play for you just not sure he's a starter on a normal appy state team. I also forgot we played him a good bit at safety in 20 which is where I think he may actually be better suited. But we did move him back outside toward the end.

Don't think he's a bad add just not sure he's a number 2. Id still lean a 3rd or 4th corner on a good team.

How is appy utilizing the portal overall? Freeze seems to be going 50/50

If the new players picks up on the pack line defen[…]

Longwood

Liberty wins 9-3. Roupe 2 homers, 4 RBI. Jesse hom[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

Aaron Judge is killing me right now. 6 starte[…]

Just remember that fine academic institution, Loui[…]