Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
September 3rd

Southern Mississippi University
Hattiesburg, Mississippi

M.M. Roberts Stadium
Opened in 1976 - Seats 36,000

While Brett Favre & Coach Freeze's alma mater may not be high on most of your travel wish lists, this might make an intriguing Labor Day Weekend road trip. If the talk of Mobile sounded intriguing around the bowl game it is about an hour and 45 minutes away from Hattiesburg. The Gulf Coast is just a little over an hour away in Gulfport. But if you really want to sell the trip to your significant other bring up this:

Apparently this HGTV show is a big deal in certain quarters. If you are going, huh? Me too. But give it a test run if Magnolia helped sell your trip to Waco a few years back. While the architectural experience may be great for some, the Mississippi Armed Forces Museum may be more up some folks' alley.

+++++

September 17th

Wake Forest University
Winston-Salem, North Carolina

Truist Field
Opened in 1968 - Seats 31,500

Obviously we have a ton of alumni in the Triad who could do a much better job of describing the attributes of Winston than I ever could. Then again, I suspct most folks headed to this game probably are doing so on a day trip.

+++++

October 1st

Old Dominion University
Norfolk, Virginia

S.B. Ballard Stadium
Opened in 2019 - Seats 21,944

Here's another daytrippers' special over in Tidewater/Hampton Roads. I will let the locals explain its virtues.

+++++

October 8th

University of Massachusetts
Amherst, Massachusetts

ImageImage
Warren McGuirk Alumni Stadium
Opened in 1965 - Seats 17,000

In case you didn't find a way to get up to UMass in our previous trips north, the most important thing to note is that this stadium is nowhere close to Boston. Instead it is located in Hadley which is a shade under two hours driving time from Logan Airport. The airports at Springfield & Hartford are actually closer if you are planning on flying in. But Western Mass has its own appeal and this game is an attractive trip as well. It would be easy to visit the National Basketball Hall of Fame in Springfield. If we didn't have some other attractive options, I'd probably make this trip myself from Texas. As the pirates who don't do anything so eloquently pointed out, who wouldn't want to see Boston in the fall?

+++++

November 5th

University of Arkansas
Fayetteville, Arkansas

Donald W. Reynolds Razorback Stadium
Opened in 1938 - Seats 76,212

I suspect that SumItUp will be our unofficial host for the experience in the corner of the world that Sam Walton's fortune built. I know most of you east coasters who consider a trip to the Smokies as a western adventure probably underestimate the opportunities in the Ozarks. But there is plenty of cool stuff to explore in NW Arkansas. Depending on summer rain and temperature conditions, this could be a prime weekend for fall foliage in the mountains. While there are unfortunately plenty of pine in the area, you might be surprised at the colorful autumns in Arkansas that bills itself as the "Natural State". But the big draw for my crew is Crystal Bridges. The Walton family has secured one ofth finest collections of art on the planet and brought it to an amazing musum that have built in Bentonville. There is plenty more to explore in the area but I will leave that to SumItUp to describe. I am personally planning on this being my big travel game of the season.

+++++

November 12th

University of Connecticut
Storrs, Connecticut

Pratt & Whitney Stadium at Rentschler Field
Opened in 2003 - Seats 40,642

Last but not least, we have a trip to Connecticut. While the university is located in Storrs, the stadium itself is actually in East Hartford about a half hour away. I honestly couldn't come up with any reason to go visit Storrs. But Hartford, well let me tell you about the exciting topic of insurance! No takers? Never mind. Well I do suspect CJ would appreciate a trip to the Mark Twain House & Museum. And yes, it was built in the shape of a riverboat. The state capitol has some cool architecture as well.
thepostman liked this
By jmclaughlin
Grew up a Hog fan, born in Little Rock. My worlds will finally collide but I will be 100% Flame fan for this one. NW Arkansas is beautiful with a great game day atmosphere.
Going to find a way to get a round in at The Blessings Golf Club while in town if anyone wants to join me.
SumItUp liked this
By JCS Flames Fan 31
I'll be at the Wake Forest game, being I live in Charlotte. Easy little hour and change drive up to watch our Flames. As SLY mentioned I'm sure most are familiar with the Winston area. If you are not then there are good places to try while you are there:

Snappy Lunch (yes from Andy Griffith land) is famous for it's Pork Chop sandwich about 30 minutes away in Mt. Airy, NC.
Dairi-O's is a good local (Winston area) fast food chain specializing in Hot Dogs & Milkshakes.
Ryan's Steakhouse is higher end, but one of the best steak experiences you can get in NC.
rtb72 liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
@SumItUp is going to need to come strong with the food recommendations though. Memphis is gonna be hard to beat. Gus’ is a good treasure
SumItUp liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: December 23rd, 2021, 6:25 pm Where do you think Gus gets his chicken? NW Arkansas is the chicken capital of the world.

Actually they have one of their locations in Little Rock. Then again it is tough to find a Southern city that doesn't have one of their joints.
I think we are staying in Springdale or some such. Says it’s like 8 miles away from Fayetteville and over $100/night less.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Two close away games at ODU and Wake. For the Wake game, I would recommend dinner (and the floor show) at the Hillbilly Hideaway.

http://www.thehillbillyhideaway.com/
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote: December 23rd, 2021, 8:52 pm Two close away games at ODU and Wake. For the Wake game, I would recommend dinner (and the floor show) at the Hillbilly Hideaway.

http://www.thehillbillyhideaway.com/
You are incorrect. This is the place to go in Winston Salem

https://cincinburgerbar.com/
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Purple, does your place have free live music? Hillbilly Hideaway does! Have you been there? It's family-style all you can eat, which sounds like your kind of place. :wink:
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote: December 24th, 2021, 5:26 am Purple, does your place have free live music? Hillbilly Hideaway does! Have you been there? It's family-style all you can eat, which sounds like your kind of place. :wink:
Mine has incredible food and atmosphere
By rtb72
JCS Flames Fan 31 wrote: December 23rd, 2021, 5:22 pm I'll be at the Wake Forest game, being I live in Charlotte. Easy little hour and change drive up to watch our Flames. As SLY mentioned I'm sure most are familiar with the Winston area. If you are not then there are good places to try while you are there:

Snappy Lunch (yes from Andy Griffith land) is famous for it's Pork Chop sandwich about 30 minutes away in Mt. Airy, NC.
Dairi-O's is a good local (Winston area) fast food chain specializing in Hot Dogs & Milkshakes.
Ryan's Steakhouse is higher end, but one of the best steak experiences you can get in NC.
We live in Burlington/Elon area so we'll definitely be making the trip. All the food you mentioned are really good and Mt. Airy is a nice day trip strolling around downtown. For the wine enthusiast: You'll be be very close to the Yadkin Valley so some great wineries to enjoy. Very nice venues and some have live music on weekends.

https://raylenvineyards.com/
This one is my favorites. Use to spend time there when living in Clemmons.

https://sheltonvineyards.com/
Hit this one if you head up to Mt. Airy (Mayberry)

https://childressvineyards.com/
Yes....the racing "Childress" family. If you are a NASCAR fan and a wine enthusiast (that may be an oxymoron :D ), I highly recommend this one just south of Winston on US 52. Great wine, venue, and racing memorabilia.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: December 24th, 2021, 4:38 pm Best road trip is probably Arkansas. Doubtful if i go. I can't stand Arkansas fans' hog calls.
Ballcoach, don't you still have your red NASCAR headphones for noise or loud music?

From what I can tell, these guys will confirm th[…]

I do most of my reading on airplanes and trains th[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

Professional protestors? Let me guess funded by […]

Expect it when you least expect it. Studying it is[…]