Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I think we are aware that Malik has left some very big shoes to fill next season when he is busy on Sundays. The following tweet got me to thinking about what it might look like in Spring Drills (assuming they happen) as the Flames make the call on who will be taking the snaps this fall:

So let's break down the QB Room situation:

Charlie Brewer
6' 1" 210 lbs Super Senior
Austin (TX) Lake Travis HS
Baylor 2017-2020
Utah 2021
Twitter: @CBrewerII

247sports Profile

I think the assumption when Coach Freeze brought in Brewer it was witht he intention of him being the starter. He has an amazing pedigree and is the 2nd all-time leading passer in Baylor history as a rare 4-year starter. But his short 3-game stint at Utah combined with concussion concerns during his time in Waco show that while he may have the upper hand, his hold on the starting role is not a certainty. Let's take a look at his numbers:

Baylor
2017 - 139-of-204 for 1562 Yards with 11 TDs & 4 INTs
2018 - 240-of-390 for 3019 Yards with 19 TDs & 9 INTs
2019 - 251-of-389 for 3161 Yards with 21 TDs & 7 INTs
2020 - 198-of-321 for 1958 Yards with 14 TDs & 8 INTs

Utah
2021 - 48-of-79 (60.8%) for 484 Yards with 3 TDs & 3 INTs in 3 Games

+++++

#11 Johnathan Bennett
6' 0" 220 lbs Redshirt-Junior
Summerville (SC) HS
Twitter: @j_bennett6

The backup to Malik this season who primarily saw mop-up duties. He has patiently waited for his opportunity to show what he can do with the 1st Unit. Here's what he has accomplishe din his three years on the mountain:

2019 - 2-of-5 for 11 Yards
2020 - 4-of-5 for 77 Yards with 1 TD
2021 - 15-of-33 for 299 Yards with 4 TDs & 2 INTs + 4 Rushes for 2 Yards with 1 TD

+++++

#10 Nate Hampton
6' 6" 235 lbs Redshirt Freshman
Advance (NC) Davie County HS
Twitter: @Nate_Hampton10

3-star recruit out of NC who turned down a number of P5 offers to come to Lynchburg. Hehas the size and arm to be a prototypical passer. But he only saw action in one game as a true freshman.

2021 - 1-of-4 for 63 Yards with 1 TD + 4 Carries for 30 Yards

+++++

#18 Kaidon Salter
6' 1" 190 lbs Redshirt Freshman
Cedar Hill (TX) HS
Twitter: @07ksalt

4-star recruit who initially signed with Tennessee out of HS before spending just the spring semester in Knoxville before transferring to LU. He appeared in just two games including the bowl.

2021 - 1-of-2 for 39 Yards with 1 TD + 5 Carries for 53 Yards

+++++

If experience the deciding factor, the choice is easy. If long-term potential is the key then the field is wide open. It is interesting that in very brief work this fall, all three of Malik's backups managed to throw at least one TD pass. So the potential is clearly in the room.

What do you think?
jmclaughlin liked this
You don’t bring a guy like Brewer in to sit. So he has to be the leader in the club house
I’m a huge loyalty guy so JB would be next up, again And based on past history with Brewer that might happen quickly
Then I’d go Salter and Hampton
Just John, Baybird liked this
I’ll go with Brewer because like what purple said, you don’t bring a guy like him in to only have him sit. I think Salter is next in line. I love JB but I don’t believe he fits Freeze’s system. Salter does with his athleticism and his arm. I wouldn’t write off Hampton either.
Brewer is clearly the guy. He'll have to play his way out of that spot via losing or go down with an injury. Assuming Brewer plays well and makes it through the season, then all bets are off as to who takes over in 2023. A completely new guy YTBD could be in the mix. Who knows?

In the event that Brewer goes down or plays poorly, then Bennett, Hampton, or Salter get an opportunity. Best guess is competitor with most favorable combo of accuracy & command of the offense sticks.
Last edited by paradox on December 20th, 2021, 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What makes the QB room great going into '22 is that no one has a leg up. No one has a "claim" to the job.
Brewer has 0 leverage as he will be out of options.
JB may be the assumptive leader in the clubhouse but if it is about future of program (high ceiling), depth may work against him.
Salter and Hampton will be the biggest battle to see who knows the play book the best after 1 year in the program.

Personally, I am rooting for the one that manages the game the best. Loved Malik and his confidence to make a home run play every snap but it would be refreshing to find a guy that just takes what is available and trusts his dudes to make plays around him.
Dalegarz1, LUOrange liked this
ballcoach15 wrote: December 20th, 2021, 3:26 pm I seem to recall there was a debate as to who the starter would be before the 2020 season.
Yes, between MW and JB. What's your point? That was then; this is now.
Cider Jim wrote: December 20th, 2021, 5:19 pm
ballcoach15 wrote: December 20th, 2021, 3:26 pm I seem to recall there was a debate as to who the starter would be before the 2020 season.
Point is, I haven't seen any QB gurus posting on ASOR.

And Manny Diaz was mentioned as a candidate for LU :football HC job, when Gill left.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Having quality QB options is a nice problem to have. However, Brewer is light years ahead in terms of experience. He was brought in for a reason. Honestly, if one of our guys steps up the competition and poses a serious threat, that would be a highly favorable and an even nicer problem to have.
phoenix liked this
By Tnobes
Those thinking "you don't bring in a guy like Brewer to sit" don't know what they are talking about. If brewer was all that, he wouldn't have left Baylor or his last school. Good players don't go to 3 different schools. He will have a chance to compete, but I don't think he has any inside track to be the starter, in fact he's behind the others because they already know the play book. Starter will be Bennett or salter
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
No one said he was "all that." But the nature of competition implies that a seasoned player only transfers to a place where he will actually play, at least initially. Hardly a stretch, to suppose an 11 win season, along with a Sugar Bowl appearance, says he has the inside track.
Ill flame liked this
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: December 20th, 2021, 5:38 pm
Cider Jim wrote: December 20th, 2021, 5:19 pm
Point is, I haven't seen any QB gurus posting on ASOR.

And Manny Diaz was mentioned as a candidate for LU :football HC job, when Gill left.
You bring nothing to the thread except to say “none of you are professionals”.

You must be real fun at parties.
I live JB, but like someone mentioned, I’m not sure he fits well into Freeze’s system. JB was never the most mobile, but after the ACL injury his mobility will be even more limited. It would be best for the program if Salter can claim the job and be in that position for the next 3-4 years. The positive thing is we have several good options.
CinciFlame wrote: December 21st, 2021, 12:45 pm I live JB, but like someone mentioned, I’m not sure he fits well into Freeze’s system. JB was never the most mobile, but after the ACL injury his mobility will be even more limited. It would be best for the program if Salter can claim the job and be in that position for the next 3-4 years. The positive thing is we have several good options.
JB's injury was to his patellar tendon, not his ACL. Much less serious injury. It's true he is not as athletic as Salter, but I doubt the injury is having much of a lasting effect.
I get a feeling salter isn't going to work out for us like we hope and Hampton might be the guy in 2023. Either way the QB battle next year is gonna be great because there will be 4 very talented QBs in that room that each have something to offer.
2024 Recruiting Discussion

I'm not a fan of Cleveland trying to play point gu[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

https://x.com/ChrisVannini/status/17825216333887[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

I bet those are a joy. Texas poltical ads are a […]

New Mexico State

1 change and a couple of tweaks. But we swung ba[…]