Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By USAJags1
Congrats on the win! Just curious how everyone's trip was. Hated that it rained but at least the week leading up to the game was near perfect for practices.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Trip was great. Rain wasn't too bad. My Crimson Tide poncho, purchased at Walmart, kept me dry. Hampton Inn was nice.
Alabama women were nice, as always. The crowd was well behaved. Eastern Michigan fans were friendly. I met a few fans from Alabama, who had no connection to Liberty, but came out to cheer for Flames. Best of all, I liked score of game. No 4th quarter suspense.
LUOrange, USAJags1 liked this
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
If the airfares hadn't have been so high I suspect the number would have been much higher in the stands. As someone who has flown regularly into the cty and surrpunding airports for work, I can tell you that this is not a new phenomenon. If the weather forecast had been better I might have made run from over in Houston. But even then with gas prices it made the bowl experience a pricey deal. And a matchup against Eastern Michigan made it tough to justify the expense.

We open up the 2022 season in nearby Hattiesburg, MS which has similar challenges. That will be an emotional for their most famous coaching alum. I am likely saving my pennies to hang with SumItUp in Fayetteville next November.
SumItUp liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
There were more fans there than it appeared to be on camera. Many were under the stands, and in the suites. The rain wasn't bad at all.
But weather no doubt kept many fans away, both LU fans and locals.
Mobile is a better bowl venue than Orlando, overall.
By BlueBlood
I've watched parts of several bowl games this year. Attendance seems low everywhere. I don't think it has anything to do with Mobile. That said, personally, I would have bought a large block of tickets if LU was in FL. I was kind hoping that LU ended up in the Boca Raton Bowl (a change of pace from the Cure, but still down here). I watched a little bit that one. They seemed to have about the same amount of fans as LendingTree despite much better weather.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
BlueBlood wrote: December 20th, 2021, 12:04 pm That said, personally, I would have bought a large block of tickets if LU was in FL. r.
You do realize, don't you, that Mobile is less than an hour from the FL/AL state line? You could have had a hotel room in Pensacola, FL and commuted to the bowl game.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Florida is a huge state, the pan handle may as well be another state all together for those in Central and Southern Florida. Also some people can't just travel at the drop of hat like others. From what I hear, there was a pretty good turnout of LU fans which is awesome to hear. I have also heard nothing but good things about their experience in Mobile.
LU 57 liked this
By LU 57
Would have really liked to go, but could not make it happen this year.

Had a great time at the first Cure Bowl.
thepostman liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: December 20th, 2021, 2:41 pm Florida is a huge state, the pan handle may as well be another state all together for those in Central and Southern Florida. Also some people can't just travel at the drop of hat like others. From what I hear, there was a pretty good turnout of LU fans which is awesome to hear. I have also heard nothing but good things about their experience in Mobile.
Yeah, not like we can all hope on a charter jet or anything
ballcoach15 liked this
By Baybird
I was there and had a great time despite the weather...the only negative may have been some guy in an Alabama poncho bought from Walmart kept walking in front of us with his nose in the phone. Surprised he even saw the game! :)

There was a pretty good LU turnout for the level of bowl game we were in and the opponent we were facing; however, the camaraderie and the spirit of the LU fans was great!!!
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
After talking with some who rode the charter jet to Mobile, if we ever play in Mobile again, I will seriously Study hitching a ride on the jet. They landed in Lynchburg Saturday night, before I got to my hotel, near Montgomery. I haven't flown since March 25, 1994.
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
Baybird wrote:I was there and had a great time despite the weather...the only negative may have been some guy in an Alabama poncho bought from Walmart kept walking in front of us with his nose in the phone. Surprised he even saw the game! :)
He has to keep in touch with his sources.
ballcoach15, Baybird liked this
By BlueBlood
Cider Jim wrote: December 20th, 2021, 2:15 pm
BlueBlood wrote: December 20th, 2021, 12:04 pm That said, personally, I would have bought a large block of tickets if LU was in FL.
You do realize, don't you, that Mobile is less than an hour from the FL/AL state line? You could have had a hotel room in Pensacola, FL and commuted to the bowl game.
Ha - Yes. I drive through Mobile from time to time when I go from Tampa to visit relatives in TX. It is 7 hours from here. The Cure Bowl is only 2 hours. Each of the last two years, I bought big blocks of tix and took my kids and a bunch of their friends. Had a great time both years. The first year was the true bowl atmosphere - good weather, bands, parades, etc. Last year was COVID and cold. No pregame fanfare - the teams literally flew in and flew out. It felt more like a playoff game than a bowl. But boy was it a game!

Logistics just didn’t work out this year for us. Hopefully we are back at the bowl game next year!
By Racenut
Registration Days Posts
Hey Jags, Just wanted to let you know how much I appreciate all of your pre-visit info on Mobile! Got a chance to come down Thursday and stayed till Monday and found your info to be invaluable. Did the parade, the pep rally, and enjoyed Live Music at Veet's on Friday (met some pretty interesting locals there) and visited Wentzell's Oyster House twice during the weekend (Gumbo and Jalapeno bacon wrapped shrimp were excellent). Visited the Battleship and air museum and the Grand Hotel in Fairhope on Sunday and thoroughly enjoyed it all. Had to ask more than one person if they locked up all the mean people on the weekend because every local we encountered were very engaging and friendly. Since the downtown hotels were sold out, we stayed at the Springhill Suites on 65 and would probably have missed out on things without your tips. Oh yeah, Flames Win! Icing on the cake. Thanks again!
USAJags1 liked this
By USAJags1
Racenut thanks for the detailed reply. You did it right. I'm glad I could help and I love hearing stories like this. Veets is a trip!
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: December 20th, 2021, 3:23 pm After talking with some who rode the charter jet to Mobile, if we ever play in Mobile again, I will seriously Study hitching a ride on the jet. They landed in Lynchburg Saturday night, before I got to my hotel, near Montgomery. I haven't flown since March 25, 1994.
They'll need to pick a better airline before I consider flying a Liberty charter.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Didn't get down for the game, but was fortunate enough to visit Mobile earlier this year (although stayed across the bay in Daphne). Friendly people, great food, loved the Gator Boardwalk trail and visiting Bellingrath Gardens.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
A couple LU fans who made trip, visited Daphne Friday. The Mayor's father is from Lynchburg. He picked them up and toured the area, ate at restuarant he owns.
Daphne has a softball complex with 10 fields. (Lynchburg needs a complex like that)
2024 Recruiting Discussion

If Cleveland isn't in gym everyday working on addi[…]

This right here. You think most of the out[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

https://twitter.com/ChrisVannini/status/1782[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

Aaron Judge is killing me right now. That's w[…]