Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By tyndal23
Pay him whatever it takes to stay !!!!
By tyndal23
Leaving for a G5 is ridiculous. Do not let it happen Ian !!!
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
For those wondering what this thread is referencing ...

By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
Rumor has it though that SMU is next in line for the BIG12. Maybe Symons sees this as his opportunity to coach D at a power 5 school plus he is from Texas. Home seems to always have an appeal.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
Let’s be reasonable about where we are. SMU is absolutely a better job than LU. Congrats to coach Symons and best of luck to him at his new gig. Now let’s find someone just as good.
Ill flame liked this
By tyndal23
If this is true, I hope we go CUSA next year and opt out of all the P5 games. He is the glue that gives us a chance in any game.
By tyndal23
stokesjokes wrote: December 18th, 2021, 11:06 pm Let’s be reasonable about where we are. SMU is absolutely a better job than LU. Congrats to coach Symons and best of luck to him at his new gig. Now let’s find someone just as good.
Of course it is, but the $ shouldn’t be if we are paying HC $4.5 million.
By tyndal23
tyndal23 wrote: December 18th, 2021, 11:07 pm
stokesjokes wrote: December 18th, 2021, 11:06 pm Let’s be reasonable about where we are. SMU is absolutely a better job than LU. Congrats to coach Symons and best of luck to him at his new gig. Now let’s find someone just as good.
A d I fully expected a P5 offer for him this year.
By LU 57
Sly Fox wrote: December 18th, 2021, 10:44 pm For those wondering what this thread is referencing ...

He has done a great job and I wish him well, but this is healthy. Have to have a next man up mentality with coaches, as well as players.

This just creates an opportunity for another young coach. Part of being a good leader in any field is to always have a list of potential successors to all your key positions.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
tyndal23 wrote: December 18th, 2021, 11:08 pm
tyndal23 wrote: December 18th, 2021, 11:07 pm
A d I fully expected a P5 offer for him this year.
I’m sure we could pay what SMU pays, but he’s much closer to that P5 gig or to being called up for HC duties somewhere by succeeding at SMU than at Liberty. Hopefully it’s not too much longer before we’re on that level or beyond. Until then, I expect us to lose coaches regularly, it means we’re succeeding. As long as we have the right guys doing the hiring, we’ll be fine.
By tyndal23
LU 57 wrote: December 18th, 2021, 11:11 pm
Sly Fox wrote: December 18th, 2021, 10:44 pm For those wondering what this thread is referencing ...

He has done a great job and I wish him well, but this is healthy. Have to have a next man up mentality with coaches, as well as players.

This just creates an opportunity for another young coach. Part of being a good leader in any field is to always have a list of potential successors to all your key positions.
About as soothing words as “ all things happen for a reason and your beloved is in a better place “ 🥲
LU 57 liked this
By LU Grad 11
Registration Days Posts
Has been a huge reason for our success the past few years. Tough to lose. Like tyndal, wouldn't have been surprised at him leaving for a P5, but another G5 stings. Thankful for what he's done, and all the best for him! Hopefully, Freeze has another good one lined up.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Sly, is his wife also from Texas? :wink:
By Ill flame
The reality is that SMU has been recruiting among the best G5 schools and will be a favorite the go to a NY6 once cincy, UCF and Houston leave the AAC. Once he turns SMUs defense around he will be a top candidate for a P5 job. We just aren't on that level yet.
By LUOrange
I don't want to see Symons leave either. But every successful program and good head coach will always lose assistants. The Patriots, Alabama and Clemson are the obvious examples here. This is a bittersweet reality. Good thing we've got Freeze for a little while longer, he'll find us another good one. I wish Symons the best.
LU 57 liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Coach Freeze mentioned on the podium at awards ceremony that he was losing some coaches. Not a coach, but coaches.
By Ill flame
ballcoach15 wrote: December 19th, 2021, 2:08 am Coach Freeze mentioned on the podium at awards ceremony that he was losing some coaches. Not a coach, but coaches.
He could've also been referencing the offensive line coach leaving too although it wouldn't shock me if a third coach left. This is the life of a successful program.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
Coach Symons is from that area; Damien mentioned that his parents live 30 minutes from the school. That had to play a big factor in accepting the job. I expected him to be gone soon but still hate to see it.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
You can take the boy out of Texas, but you can't take the ... well you get the idea.
By LU 57
tyndal23 wrote: December 18th, 2021, 11:20 pm
LU 57 wrote: December 18th, 2021, 11:11 pm

About as soothing words as “ all things happen for a reason and your beloved is in a better place “ 🥲
I am sure HCHF has someone else in mind already.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Hate to see him go, but one knew it was going to happen soon. Especially if you watched the pre and postgame pressers. To me, he was clearly our best coach. Can't understand wanting to live in TX, but someone has to do it. Best of luck to him. He is not going to be easy to replace.
LUOrange liked this
By LUOrange
flameshaw wrote: December 19th, 2021, 12:05 pm Hate to see him go, but one knew it was going to happen soon. Especially if you watched the pre and postgame pressers. To me, he was clearly our best coach. Can't understand wanting to live in TX, but someone has to do it. Best of luck to him. He is not going to be easy to replace.
I'd move to Texas or Alabama but there's that whole "happy wife" thing I keep hearing about... :dontgetit :lol:
By Libertyedufan4life
Hey everyone, I am a first time poster and a long time Liberty fan! I had a thought about the open positions within the football program. I know this may be a crazy idea but with the strong relationship that Hugh Freeze has with Tim tebow and Urban Myer, would it be realistic to get one of the two on the football staff? I think urban myer wants back in the college football world and both have a strong Christian background. Tim Tebow would be a great football coach with a strong faith.
Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

I think we should do whatever Tech and UVA do as[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

That might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen per[…]

North Carolina

We had a runner on base in the bottom of the 7th i[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

I saw 3 of our prospects at Convo this morning. Ji[…]