Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

LU 57 wrote: December 13th, 2021, 2:23 pm
Cider Jim wrote: December 13th, 2021, 2:15 pm Didn't Coach Sam say that Antwan Chiles was built like a full back? :fbplayer
Probably. He definitely was. Nebraska and others wanted him to play LB. Spurrier agreed to let him play QB, but they were loaded with QBs then, including a future Heisman winner in Danny Wuerffel.
I remember hearing back in the day that NFL teams wanted Chiles to play TE and he refused. Don't know the validity of that though. I enjoyed watching him and Lawrence Worthington play. Hoping Nick Pierce will track them down for his Where Are They Now podcast.
By LU 57
I was an utility OL back then.

Funny story, I was filling in at LT for an injured Chris Goede down at UCF. They had an absolute stud DE that ended up being a 3rd round pick to the Eagles in 94 or 95 (Greg Jefferson). I set too wide on a long pass play and he absolutely torched me back to the inside. All I could think was…I just got our QB killed.

To my surprise, and probably everyone else watching that day, Antwan took the hit in the back, shook him off, and ran for a decent gain around the right side. He was an absolute bull 😤.

We moved the ball against them all day, but their QB had a career day. Would have to verify, but I think he threw for 500+ and they put up like 55.

Glory days session over 🤣. Sorry for hijacking the thread.
LUOrange, SumItUp, Just John liked this
You are correct. Almost 30 years later things become a little blurry. Those two from SMU and CF weren't qb's. Lawrence Worthington. Didn't he have some insane vertical leap???
By LU 57
47/5-2 wrote: December 13th, 2021, 3:49 pm You are correct. Almost 30 years later things become a little blurry. Those two from SMU and CF weren't qb's. Lawrence Worthington. Didn't he have some insane vertical leap???
He did. Don’t remember what it was offhand.

It was definitely 40+”. Really nice guy too.
Last edited by LU 57 on December 13th, 2021, 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LUOrange liked this
Cider Jim wrote: December 13th, 2021, 2:15 pm Didn't Coach Sam say that Antwan Chiles was built like a full back? :fbplayer
Probably. He definitely was. Nebraska and others wanted him to play LB. Spurrier agreed to let him play QB, but they were loaded with QBs then, including a future Heisman winner in Danny Wuerffel.
Interesting QBs in the 90s. Chiles to McKnight was memorable. And then there was the curious case of Jon Stark. Ended up transferring to Florida State, backing-up a Heisman winner. Had a cup of coffee in the NFL, prior to yet another unusual circumstance. And what about Daniel Jeremiah? His dad serves on our board and we don't land him? Then he transfers, and we don't land him again? Had a nice career at App State though.
LUOrange liked this
paradox wrote: December 14th, 2021, 1:03 am
Interesting QBs in the 90s. Chiles to McKnight was memorable. And then there was the curious case of Jon Stark. Ended up transferring to Florida State, backing-up a Heisman winner. Had a cup of coffee in the NFL, prior to yet another unusual circumstance. And what about Daniel Jeremiah? His dad serves on our board and we don't land him? Then he transfers, and we don't land him again? Had a nice career at App State though.
Stark actually finished his collegiate career at Trinity International. My sister's husband worked there at the time, and was not haappy about the way he was allowed to flaunt the rules.
I don't like the transfer portal. I see it as a symptom of other things (such as coaching carousels, free agency in the pros, etc.) plaguing sports and society in general. I think if an athlete accepts a scholarship somewhere, then he should stay there --- or sit out a year by transferring.

Brewer was benched at Utah after losing to BYU and San Diego St., and then promptly quit the team and "entered the transfer portal." With a transfer from Baylor already, I would be concerned about character issues (in this case, handling adversity, leadership, loyalty to the program, etc.).
Basically everybody in the 'Move the Sticks' family wound up at LU. Even his brother-in-law Josh Cox who used to be a regaulr poster on this board back int he day. But the state of our program at that time was beyond abysmal.'
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Rubicon wrote: December 14th, 2021, 12:51 pm I don't like the transfer portal. I see it as a symptom of other things (such as coaching carousels, free agency in the pros, etc.) plaguing sports and society in general. I think if an athlete accepts a scholarship somewhere, then he should stay there --- or sit out a year by transferring.
With you until there. Freedom is a messy thing.
paradox wrote: December 15th, 2021, 9:23 am Transfer portal is a good thing.
Has Ballcoach taught you nothing? You definitely need coached up! The transfer portal is "ruining college football" (except for when it applies to LU, VT, and Bama).
Read this article yesterday but was driving all day and couldn’t post it. We had a bead on this FCS stud out of Incarnate Word, named Cameron Ward. Looks to be a mini MW. We passed on him to sign Charlie, which leads me to believe HCHF knows what he’s got in Salter. Charlie signed as a stopgap to give us a great QB this year with Salter probably starting the next 2 years.
Ole Miss has emerged as the early favorite after bringing him in for an official visit on Saturday and Sunday. Ward has also been offered by Indiana, Houston and North Texas and plans to talk with West Virginia and Washington State this week. He did also visit Liberty, which ended up landing former Utah and Baylor quarterback Charlie Brewer.
Top quarterbacks in the transfer porta ... se going?
Utah and Ohio State in the Rose Bowl. Just watched opening drive. It's early, but Utah's QB looks impressive so far. We'll see how it goes, but we may end up being in good hands with Charlie Brewer under center. I'm not sure if this is the guy who replaced him or not, but he looks pretty good early on in this game. This Utah QB is just a sophomore btw. Same probably holds for us too. Brewer plays as long as he wins.
paradox wrote: January 1st, 2022, 6:35 pm Utah and Ohio State in the Rose Bowl. Just watched opening drive. It's early, but Utah's QB looks impressive so far. We'll see how it goes, but we may end up being in good hands with Charlie Brewer under center. I'm not sure if this is the guy who replaced him or not, but he looks pretty good early on in this game. This Utah QB is just a sophomore btw. Same probably holds for us too. Brewer plays as long as he wins.
He’s the one that beat Brewer out after 3 games, coming off an injury. Herbstreit and Fowler mentioned it on the broadcast.

You must have young kids. There was about 12-15 year stretch where I basically heard nothing on the TV. Haha.
thepostman liked this

If I understand this correctly, starting July 1st,[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

That might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen per[…]

North Carolina

We had a runner on base in the bottom of the 7th i[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

I saw 3 of our prospects at Convo this morning. Ji[…]