Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By olldflame
Registration Days Posts

Wow, that came out of left field! Gotta believe someone from that room will be in the portal soon.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
It didnt come out of left field at all. Experience and competition. Plus salter has to prove himself that he can be relied upon. Brown could be gone but i doubt the other.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
It SEEMS like a Big Time transfer. But what happened at Utah? Is HCHF looking at a 1 Year patch to get one of the others a little more seasoning?
Welcome to FBS football
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote: December 11th, 2021, 2:54 pm It didnt come out of left field at all. Experience and competition. Plus salter has to prove himself that he can be relied upon. Brown could be gone but i doubt the other.
Brown would certainly be the likely candidate to leave. Didn't say it doesn't make sense. Just a surprise.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
They have been talking to him a while is my understanding. Its not a guarantee by any means but i think its the perfect compliment. If he plays like he did at baylor he probably wins the job. JB will still have a shot. Salter and hampton need more time.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Dude, if he plays anywhere close to as well as he did at Baylor he easily wins the job. He is the 2nd ranked passer in their school's history and led them to a #7 ranking in the final CFP poll. Last season at Utah he only played three games and threew just 3 Tds & 3 INTs with just 484 total yards passing. That won't cut it in a pass happy league like the Pac-12. We need Waco version of Charlie. And I have a feeling he'll step up barring concussion concerns. I have friends who know him and his family personally and he is a very good fit culturally & spiritually for LU.

His dad started at QB for the Longhorns and led them to a Cotton Bowl victory over Bear Bryant's Alabama squad back in the '70s. His grandfather did the same back in the '50s as he led the Horns past Bear Bryant at Texas A&M. One of his great uncles was a star for Bud Wilkinson alongside Darrell Royal in the wishbone offenses in the '40s. His grandpa's other brother played QB at Texas Tech before gettung drafted and being KIA after having B24 shot down by the Nazis in WWII over Austria. His mom's brother Rob Moerschell started at QB for the Longhorns in 1983 following his dad and just before Todd Dodge took over.

Charlie also followed a guy named Baker Mayfield at QB at his high school. A HS that has a pretty crazy track record of producing major college QBs.
I was confused at first, but i like it. Barring something wrong with him, it guarantees we go into next season with a well above average QB, in what could be our best/hardest schedule for a decade. Either our existing talent beats him out, proving they may be even better than we hope, or we fall back on a legit P5 starting QB with blue blood genes. Win win.
JB may be out. I believe Slater and Brown are more talented. JB go most of the garbage time, because he has more time in the system. But he is slower and doesn't have the big arm, the others have. I guess it will be an interesting battle.
By LU 57
flameshaw wrote: December 11th, 2021, 5:37 pm JB may be out. I believe Slater and Brown are more talented. JB go most of the garbage time, because he has more time in the system. But he is slower and doesn't have the big arm, the others have. I guess it will be an interesting battle.
I really like Hampton from what I have seen, but clearly the staff is with those guys every day. They will pick the right one.
flameshaw, Sly Fox liked this
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
I like Hampton too but I think Salter is HCHF QB. Fits his style. Really athletic QB with a strong arm and accurate. Heard his arm is up there with Malik, if not better.

I know JB loves the school but I don’t see him settling as a career QB2
By tyndal23
ballah09 wrote: December 11th, 2021, 10:00 pm I like Hampton too but I think Salter is HCHF QB. Fits his style. Really athletic QB with a strong arm and accurate. Heard his arm is up there with Malik, if not better.

I know JB loves the school but I don’t see him settling as a career QB2
Where is he going to go ? Transfer Portal is insane with numbers. Bennett is legit and a leader. Even if 2nd string again, YPO needs 3 qb’s on roster due to injury %, who are dual threat.
JK37 wrote: December 12th, 2021, 1:03 am Just spit-balling here, but…maybe…somewhere he can be 1st string?
Maybe - probably better chance at a school/ system/ coaching staff he has been at 3 years and established himself as a leader and “1 play away “ vs starting all over competing in a complete set of unknowns. Competition is everywhere and the slots are dramatically limited with Covid/Transfer Portal. If he wants to drop down a level, still competitive. If he hates not being “the man” then he will transfer - a lot of CFB players love the game no matter what string.
The safe bet here is that the job is his to lose. Clearly things didn't work out in Utah. We don't know why. But not a bad deal bringing a competitor in with a chip on his shoulder and something to prove. He comes prequalified. Hugh and Kent would have a feel for this guy's character and work ethic. Appears to be promising.
Cider Jim wrote: December 13th, 2021, 1:07 pm Old timers will recognize this name: Antwan Chiles. :shock:

Yes, sometimes history does repeat itself. :nod :clapping
If my memory serves me correctly, Coach Sam compared him to... Joe Montana! In two years, he went from choosing Florida over Nebraska, Notre Dame, etc. to transferring to Liberty. There were two other QB transfers on the roster his first year (I think SMU and Central Florida). He was a very good quarterback for us.
LUOrange liked this
By LU 57
47/5-2 wrote: December 13th, 2021, 2:02 pm
Cider Jim wrote: December 13th, 2021, 1:07 pm Old timers will recognize this name: Antwan Chiles. :shock:

Yes, sometimes history does repeat itself. :nod :clapping
There were two other QB transfers on the roster his first year (I think SMU and Central Florida).
At LU? No, he was the only transfer QB that year (1993). 2 way race with Travis Wilemon. I think Antwan was given the job in about week 3 or so.

EDIT: We did have LB transfers from SMU and UCF, can’t remember the SMU LBs name off the top of my head, but David Long was a 260 lb LB from UCF that would definitely come up and hit you.
Didn't Coach Sam say that Antwan Chiles was built like a full back? :fbplayer
By LU 57
Cider Jim wrote: December 13th, 2021, 2:15 pm Didn't Coach Sam say that Antwan Chiles was built like a full back? :fbplayer
Probably. He definitely was. Nebraska and others wanted him to play LB. Spurrier agreed to let him play QB, but they were loaded with QBs then, including a future Heisman winner in Danny Wuerffel.
LUOrange liked this
North Carolina

We had a runner on base in the bottom of the 7th i[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

This was already proposed to the powers that be be[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

I saw 3 of our prospects at Convo this morning. Ji[…]

Oh, the Great Unwashed ... alumni of the Universit[…]