Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By paradox
Registration Days Posts
That's exactly right. And when we leave backs and tight ends in to block, it automatically brings more defenders to the line. So, a bad problem becomes even worse.

So, why not spread 5 guys out?
ballcoach15 liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote: November 20th, 2021, 9:48 pm Purple and I left mid-way into the 4th quarter. Not sure how long Ballcoach stayed. It was COLD, and our offense shut down at halftime. :shock:
I didn't know ya'll were together.
By LU 57
paradox wrote: November 21st, 2021, 1:24 pm
Purple Haize wrote: November 21st, 2021, 9:23 am It sounds like some of you are coming around to my post Ole Miss conclusion on MW draft stock.
You're in the stadium. I'm not. Are guys getting open before things break down?
Only in the middle of the field.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: November 21st, 2021, 3:38 pm
Cider Jim wrote: November 20th, 2021, 9:48 pm Purple and I left mid-way into the 4th quarter. Not sure how long Ballcoach stayed. It was COLD, and our offense shut down at halftime. :shock:
I didn't know ya'll were together.
I would never break up your relationship.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
IMO, it is more than just one issue. (It often is in football). How many times have you heard an announcer say, "you have to establish the running game"? (Which is a fundamental truth). We haven't had a good running game all year. I believe it is a combination of things:
1. The O line is horrible.
2. Our RB's are not much better. #1 is too small, #8 is too slow and often times, doesn't run downhill, too hesitant. #15 has the best athletic skills, maybe he hasn't caught onto the offense? Not enough opportunity?
With no running game, you can't have an effective passing game (for many reasons).
As far as blocking for a scrambling QB, it can be harder and/or easier. At least half of the most effective QB's in the NFL, are scramblers. See Chiefs, Cardinals, Ravens and a few others.
As I mentioned a couple of weeks ago, MW, needs to consider staying at LU. Don't think he is going to be a 1st rounder. However, he may not get any better protection next year, with an all new O line. I wouldn't want to be the one making that choice. If he comes out after this year, don't see him as being a solid NFL starter, anytime soon, if ever.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I think next season's o-line can be better, if for no other reason, " it can't be much worse".
I don't know if problem is size, lack of talent, technique, scheme or what, but d lines are blowing straight through our attempted blocking.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
LU 57 wrote: November 21st, 2021, 4:05 pm
paradox wrote: November 21st, 2021, 1:24 pm
Purple Haize wrote: November 21st, 2021, 9:23 am It sounds like some of you are coming around to my post Ole Miss conclusion on MW draft stock.
You're in the stadium. I'm not. Are guys getting open before things break down?
Only in the middle of the field.
Not sure what you mean? Won't throw into coverages in the middle of the field? Or won't throw to the middle period? Or what? What do you see?
By badger74
Registration Days Posts
Pretty disappointing year. Team seems to be falling apart rather than coming together. Recruiting also not really very exciting so far. Next year make or break. It's not working.
sstaedtler liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
It's too early to get a reading on recruiting right now because of the transfer portal. Coaches may bypass a high school recruit to go after a certain position from the portal. Normally portal players are ready to play immediately, whereas a high school recruit probably needs coaching up.
By LUOrange
Unfortunately, there's been some clear regression in our OL's abilities this year vs. the last 3-4. In many games this year, DL's & LB's just blew through them giving Willis very little time to react. But from my vantage point yesterday that mostly wasn't the case. Willis hung on to the ball too long, ran backwards too far, left the pocket way too early, and seemed indecisive on committing to throw or run. I'll give the argument of Willis being hard to block for a little bit of credibility, as JB hasn't appeared to have the same issues. His protection seemed to be more adequate, of course he stays in the pocket more and has a quick release. Of course, the OL penalties haven't helped either. The most costly drive occurred in the 2nd QT when the combo of OL penalties and Willis running too far backwards took us from a 1st and goal on the 2 to punting from near the 50. Scoring there kept the momentum on our side and probably meant we tie it up in the 3rd at 21-21 with a whole new game.

I'll also don't understand the apparent abandonment of the run game this year, especially with how well they did against Ole Miss. It also seems to me that having your hogs attack the DL in the run game is what is needed to reignite their confidence. While we haven't had a solid all-around back since Frankie Hickson, our 3 are very adequate. Hopefully, we can put them to good use against Army and keep their triple option off the field.

I'll also add that despite my FAN criticism above (have to include that to be clear to some of you), I still have faith in Freeze, Willis and Company to get the job done in our final 2 games. These guys have done very well over the last few years, they've taken our University to heights unimagined, and more importantly, they represent us very well. I'm as proud of them as I am of all of our sports teams. Quite frankly, we're only a handful of bad calls and/or blown plays from 9 wins and being in/having a chance in the 2 games against the quality opponents that flat out beat us.
Last edited by LUOrange on November 22nd, 2021, 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ballcoach15 liked this
By tyndal23
LUOrange wrote: November 21st, 2021, 11:28 pm Unfortunately, there's been some clear regression in our OL's abilities this year vs. the last 3-4. In many games this year, DL's & LB's just blew through them giving Willis very little time to react. But from my vantage point yesterday that mostly wasn't wasn't the case. Willis hung on to the ball too long, ran backwards too far, left the pocket way too early, and seemed indecisive on committing to throw or run. I'll give the argument of Willis being hard to block for a little bit of credibility, as JB hasn't appeared to have the same issues. His protection seemed to be more adequate, of course he stays in the pocket more and has a quick release. Of course, the OL penalties haven't helped either. The most costly drive occurred in the 2nd QT when the combo of OL penalties and Willis running too far backwards took us from a 1st and goal on the 2 to punting from near the 50. Scoring there kept the momentum on our side and probably meant we tie it up in the 3rd at 21-21 with a whole new game.

I'll also don't understand the apparent abandonment of the run game this year, especially with how well they did against Ole Miss. It also seems to me that having your hogs attack the DL in the run game is what is needed to reignite their confidence. While we haven't had a solid all-around back since Frankie Hickson, our 3 are very adequate. Hopefully, we can put them to good use against Army and keep their triple option off the field.

I'll also add that despite my FAN criticism above (have to include that to be clear to some of you), I still have faith in Freeze, Willis and Company to get the job done in our final 2 games. These guys have done very well over the last few years, they've taken our University to heights unimagined, and more importantly, they represent us very well. I'm as proud of them as I am of all of our sports teams. Quite frankly, we're only a handful of bad calls and/or blown plays from 9 wins and being in/having a chance in the 2 games against quality opponents that flat out beat us.
Not sure how anyone watching past few weeks expected a W against UL or Army. Ole Miss was down to 2nd string on O except for QB and sandwiched between two huge games and overlooking us, so any magic would have been that week. Army D is legit and no need to mention their O. I don’t see us converting near enough points on limited possessions with our current offense. Hope I am wrong...
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
The system has to fit the players. And not the other way around. Does our system play to our strengths? Are we exposing our own weaknesses? This up-tempo pace can also wreak havoc on a fragile offensive line. In addition, we often leave tight ends and backs in during passing downs, which ultimately invites additional pressure to our already suspect pass protection.

If we weren't so system oriented, we could've gotten back to the basics. Manage the clock. Help the defense. Run the ball. Take pressure off the O-line and QB. Spread out 5 receivers on third downs. Take advantage of man coverage, with less pressure coming at our QB.

Does up-tempo work for or against us with the players we have?
By Ill flame
Running up tempo might work great in a few years when we should have more talent/depth than everyone in our conference but right now most teams are more talented than us. Part of the reason we were so successful last year is we slowed down our tempo, kept the chains moving and kept the defense off the field.

For some reason we have gotten away from running and completing shorter, higher percentage passes to avoid negative plays. Our offense seems very all or nothing now. One drive we get sacked twice and throw up a long incomplete pass. The next drive we end up with a 30+ yard TD pass. Part of me thinks everyone is standing around waiting for Malik to make a play and defenses have figured that out. I think with Malik moving on we will have to play a more varied conservative offense next year that focuses on ball control like we saw in past seasons.
Dalegarz1 liked this
By LUOrange
tyndal23 wrote: November 21st, 2021, 11:57 pm
LUOrange wrote: November 21st, 2021, 11:28 pm Unfortunately, there's been some clear regression in our OL's abilities this year vs. the last 3-4. In many games this year, DL's & LB's just blew through them giving Willis very little time to react. But from my vantage point yesterday that mostly wasn't wasn't the case. Willis hung on to the ball too long, ran backwards too far, left the pocket way too early, and seemed indecisive on committing to throw or run. I'll give the argument of Willis being hard to block for a little bit of credibility, as JB hasn't appeared to have the same issues. His protection seemed to be more adequate, of course he stays in the pocket more and has a quick release. Of course, the OL penalties haven't helped either. The most costly drive occurred in the 2nd QT when the combo of OL penalties and Willis running too far backwards took us from a 1st and goal on the 2 to punting from near the 50. Scoring there kept the momentum on our side and probably meant we tie it up in the 3rd at 21-21 with a whole new game.

I'll also add that despite my FAN criticism above (have to include that to be clear to some of you), I still have faith in Freeze, Willis and Company to get the job done in our final 2 games. These guys have done very well over the last few years, they've taken our University to heights unimagined, and more importantly, they represent us very well. I'm as proud of them as I am of all of our sports teams. Quite frankly, we're only a handful of bad calls and/or blown plays from 9 wins and being in/having a chance in the 2 games against quality opponents that flat out beat us.
Not sure how anyone watching past few weeks expected a W against UL or Army. Ole Miss was down to 2nd string on O except for QB and sandwiched between two huge games and overlooking us, so any magic would have been that week. Army D is legit and no need to mention their O. I don’t see us converting near enough points on limited possessions with our current offense. Hope I am wrong...
I'm not taking anything away from 2 very good teams, but we hurt ourselves on good drives vs both Ole Miss and ULALA, which allowed them to run the score up on us. But I'm confident that Freeze and the Boys will get it right vs Army and in our Bowl game.
ballcoach15 liked this
By Geraldos Mustache
tyndal23 wrote: November 21st, 2021, 11:57 pm

Agree with you.
Will add, Liberty is at a tipping point. There is a very real possibility Liberty could lose vs. Army and also in their Bowl game. That would be a 4 game losing streak to end the season with a 7-6 record. Pretty bad scenario, but very realistic considering the way this team is playing right now.
JK37, badger74 liked this
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
LU 57 wrote: November 21st, 2021, 9:51 am
ballcoach15 wrote: November 21st, 2021, 9:25 am I told Ciderjim after #17 had a sack, that 1 lineman should go to ticket office and buy a ticket, if he wants to watch the game.

17 had 3 sacks i recall, maybe 4
4 confirmed.
Watching the App LaLa game. Cajuns are really good on defense. The 4 sacks against Liberty was just mentioned during ESPN broadcast. Isn't their something to the whole "a bad mention is better than no mention" thing?
LU 57 liked this
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
rogers3 wrote: December 4th, 2021, 7:29 pm
LU 57 wrote: November 21st, 2021, 9:51 am
ballcoach15 wrote: November 21st, 2021, 9:25 am I told Ciderjim after #17 had a sack, that 1 lineman should go to ticket office and buy a ticket, if he wants to watch the game.

17 had 3 sacks i recall, maybe 4
4 confirmed.
Watching the App LaLa game. Cajuns are really good on defense. The 4 sacks against Liberty was just mentioned during ESPN broadcast. Isn't their something to the whole "a bad mention is better than no mention" thing?
I hope they draw a P5 team in a bowl game. Good team.
LU 57 liked this
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

There’s a cerebral side to the game. And it&[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]