Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Since we now stand at nine conference member sheading into the Fall of 2023, it certainly creates some discussion about which school might make the best #10. Here are the most likely candidates all of which as public institutions:

All-Sport Options:

University of Tennessee-Chattanooga
Chattanooga, Tennessee

Current Conference: Southern
Market: Chattanooga MSA #101
Miles from Lynchburg: 423
Stadium Size: 20,412

Chatty has frequently been targeted by leagues like the Sun Belt for a potential rise to FBS. In fact, the university has conducted studies to pursue the option. The remain in the SoCon surrounded primarily by smaller private schools. Being on the same level with MTSU just up I-24 has to be intriguing. Jacksonville State is also reasonably close by. Traditionally strong FCS program and hoops has traditionally been excellent.

Eastern Kentucky University
Richmond, Kentucky

Current Conference: ASUN
Market: Lexington/Fayetteville MSA #109
Miles from Lynchburg: 403
Stadium Size: 20,000

EKU joined the ASUN alongside Jax State for this academic year after leaving behind the OVC. They just missed getting an invitation to the Sun Belt when Coastal got the call. The Colonels have historically been a strong FCS program and will likely challenge the Flames for the hoops title this season. Kidd Stadium is old and out of date. But the university has promised to upgrade if they get the call up.

Missouri State University
Springfield, Missouri

Current Conference: Missouri Valley
Market: Springfield, MO MSA #117
Miles from Lynchburg: 919
Stadium Size: 17,337

Perhaps the most attracive option for CUSA if they need to add at least one more FCS team. They have awesome facilities and a terrific basketball history in both men and women. Football has never lived up to its potential. But they would be just the second FBS team in a rather populous state. Springfield is also not far out of the projected CUSA footprint. But they appear to have less enthusiasm about giving up their Mo Valley hoops even if it means missing what could be the last FBS Golden Ticket for another decade.

Football-Only Options:

North Dakota State University
Fargo, North Dakota

Current Conference: Missouri Valley
Market: Fargo MSA #192
Miles from Lynchburg: 1362
Stadium Size: 18,700

The longtime dominant FCS school has been trapped in a quandry. There is no natural FBS league for them to join no matter how strong their program might be. The MWC to the west and MAC to the east have no interest in expanding their footprints. Bison fans realize this might be a rare opportunity to move up. The Fargodome is a bit undersized for an FBS stadium. But there have been proposals to expand if need arises. They would love to get a football-only invite from CUSA and keep their other sports parked in Mo Valley. But that may not be possible.

University of Massachusetts
Amherst, Massachusetts

Current Conference: FBS Indy/A10
Market: Springfield, MA MSA #84
Miles from Lynchburg: 571
Stadium Size: 17,000

UMass continues to be in quandry of their own. They want to keep their olympics in the A10 where they have historic membership. But that is keeping their football team from getting in a league where they can gain any momentum. And frankly a football-only invitation would be gaining CUSA the worst program that UMass has to offer. The on campus stadium is undersized and inadequate. I suspect they'll remain indy until they are willing to move all sports. And that is something they refused to do with the MAC.

Non-Football Options:

University of Texas at Arlington
Arlington, Texas

Current Conference: Sun Belt
Market: Dallas-Fort Worth MSA #4
Miles from Lynchburg: 1174

UTA has been strongly encourgaed by their fellow Belt mebers to move on along. They have been in contact with the Missouri Valley and likely have had feelers out to the ASUN as well. They have no interest in football and in Texas that is an odd place to be. They have historically had relatively strong hoops. But it has been awhile. Having a member in the DFW Metroplex might be appealing to Judy MCleod as the league office currently sits in Dallas where the hoops tourneys are held.

University of Arkansas-Little Rock
Little Rock, Arkansas

Current Conference: Sun Belt
Market: Little Rock/Conway MSA #80
Miles from Lynchburg: 834

UALR is the other unwelcome Belt program that has been looking for cover. They have reportedly been in negotaions with the ASUN. UCA is now a member and just a half hour away from Little Rock. The only way they are getting in is likely tied to a non-football addition.

Florida Gulf Coast University
Fort Myers, Florida

Current Conference: ASUN
Market: Cape Coral/Fort Myers MSA #78
Miles from Lynchburg: 886

The reason why FGCU is being mentioned is that they are the only viable travel partner for FIU. The Dunk City days are distant memories but in general FGCU is strong in most fo the olympics.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Kennesaw State has facilities issues and a general lack of interest in its fan base or they would be higher on the list. But it is not crazy talk.

On another front, if South Dakota State were invited for full membership alongside NDSU they would likely both rush in. But the Bison don't want to be on a Liberty or FIU type of island for all sports.
Sly Fox wrote: November 9th, 2021, 3:43 pm Kennesaw State has facilities issues and a general lack of interest in its fan base or they would be higher on the list. But it is not crazy talk.

On another front, if South Dakota State were invited for full membership alongside NDSU they would likely both rush in. But the Bison don't want to be on a Liberty or FIU type of island for all sports.
I say invite them both as all sports/full members. They'd be great adds and we're already going all the way to ElPaso and Los Cruces.
Sly knows that I have some Chattanooga roots and still have friends in the area, so that would be my first choice! And I also like UMass or EKU as a Plan B.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I suspect the CUSA commish Judy McLeod likely has Missouri State at the top of her list as well. But I am not sure they will be willing to bite. They REALLY value their MVC membership in hoops.

And as CJ referenced in his background, I was born in Chatty myself. My guess is if the league looks for another FCS call-up they would be a backup if they truly were interested.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
The more I hear some of the other perspectives on the issue, I feel like we ride or die with nine. While the CFP money covers up to ten without penalty, there really is little incentive to get any larger. We will always have the ability as a league to pull somebody up from the FCS ranks for football. Then again, fortunes can change rapidly and CUSA could once again be an attractive league poaching Belt or AAC schools down the road. Crazier things have happened in recent history.

Football & Basketball both could go round robin with 8 game slate on the gridiron and 16 on the court. That leaves plenty of time for paydays and playing P5s.
flamehunter, Dalegarz1, ballcoach15 and 1 others liked this
Chatty doesn't have the money nor the resources to move up. I expect the same from EKU and MSU. Kennesaw is the 2nd largest school in the state but it isn't exactly in a hurry to move up. They are fundraising for a stadium expansion right now and will have an endzone facility sooner rather than later but as sly eluded to the fan base is small. its still a largely commuter school. They are slowly but surely trying to change their perspective in athletics but the past AD and Coaching hires after they left DII have been... well not great (sans Brian Bohannon).
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
If it came down to resources and facilities, Missouri State would be the first choice without question. KSU simply lacks a fan base and facilities. It will come eventually. They are just not ready right now. Then again, neither was Sam Houston. But they have been winners in football so the warst are being overlooked.
By LUOrange
's standing pat Matt Brown says CUSA is standing pat until after the NCAA Constitutional Convention, with the theories of the new rules may force better schools hands to reclassify(MO State? NDSU?). And they don't expect the next TV deal to be great so why diminish the funds with inferior schools. Makes sense to me.

https://www.extrapointsmb.com/conferenc ... l-mailbag/
Election 2022 and 2024

PH do you think Claudia Tenney would be a good VP […]

Some statistics

So, who is the new hitting coach that Coach Dot wi[…]

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty worthl[…]

G5 Playoff Only

I would be OK with the top 2 G5 conference champio[…]