Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By LUDad
The one thing that is certain is that there will be more alignment changes down the road. The fact that we are now in a FBS conference means that a future conference will not have to answer as to why they are the only conference to have offered LU a spot. That ground has been broken. That should make it more pallitilble for other confrences to open their doors to us for future movement, especially if we shine for the next few years.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Libertyfan_71 wrote: November 7th, 2021, 11:50 am I'm confused. Are FCS teams allowed in the same conference as FBS teams? :dontgetit
Yes, it has happened quite a bit. Villanova & Georgetown played FCS football while the rest of their league was in a BCS league. Technically it is possible for a conference to sponsor both FBS & FCS leagues simultaneously. It just has never happened and likely never will.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Has anyone checked out the C-USA message board? They have 11 pages about the 4 new teams joining in 2023.
https://csnbbs.com/thread-934503.html

This was my favorite quote so far:
Honestly, Liberty might become the new Boise of CUSA and run the place. They are clearly now the face of the conference.
LU 57, ballcoach15 liked this
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I believe the transition for Sam & Jax State is the following:

2022: FCS Independent - WAC Schedule but not eligible for league title auto bid
2023: FBS Transition Year - CUSA Member but not eligible for league championship or bowl
2024: Full FBS Membership - Bowl Eligible
By Ill flame
Cider Jim wrote: November 7th, 2021, 7:25 pm Has anyone checked out the C-USA message board? They have 11 pages about the 4 new teams joining in 2023.
https://csnbbs.com/thread-934503.html

This was my favorite quote so far:
Honestly, Liberty might become the new Boise of CUSA and run the place. They are clearly now the face of the conference.
That person isn't wrong though. To an extent c-usa will thrive only as much as we do. If we can somewhat regularly go to a NY6 and/or the sweet 16 the perception of the conference will change from worse than the MAC to one of the better G5s no matter how bad the rest of the conference is.
Getting to Know CUSA: Louisiana Tech

The Liberty Flames are headed to Conference USA where the Flames will compete as all-sports members beginning with the 2023-24 athletic season. Over the next several days, we will be profiling each member of C-USA as we all get to know Liberty’s new home a little better. Today, we begin with a look at the Louisiana Tech Bulldogs.
By LUDad
I am kind of reminded of Orwell's book 1984 after reading some of the various forums. All of a sudden there is a shift of alliances and everyone begins to cheer on their former enemy...I have to say that it is nice to hear Conference USA schools rooting for us to do well (when we are not playing them)
By BlueBlood
Conversely, if you read C-USA message boards or Twitter, you can see how divisive the current C-USA is. Lots of posters from exiting schools taking shots at the remaining schools and vice versa. Seems like a pretty chippy group.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
So with it appearing that MTSU & KU are staying in he league after all, that puts the membership at nine schools upon our entry in Fall 2023. That brings up several options. For football, that leaves an unbalanced schedule. Essentially the way a schedule works out is eight of the nine teams would play eight conference games and the 9th team would play seven. I wonder if we would be the one to offer be team #9 in order to keep five non-conference games a season?

On the other hand, it is possible that CUSA was waiting to see if WKU/MTSU were bolting to the MAC to see whther they would need to add one more team or three to get to ten. It will be fun to watch how the league responds. They might just add in one non-football school like UT-Arlington or FGCU to even off Olympic divisions.
By aredd33
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: November 9th, 2021, 12:07 pm So with it appearing that MTSU & KU are staying in he league after all, that puts the membership at nine schools upon our entry in Fall 2023. That brings up several options. For football, that leaves an unbalanced schedule. Essentially the way a schedule works out is eight of the nine teams would play eight conference games and the 9th team would play seven. I wonder if we would be the one to offer be team #9 in order to keep five non-conference games a season?

On the other hand, it is possible that CUSA was waiting to see if WKU/MTSU were bolting to the MAC to see whther they would need to add one more team or three to get to ten. It will be fun to watch how the league responds. They might just add in one non-football school like UT-Arlington or FGCU to even off Olympic divisions.
So I’m not sure I understand.
Forgive my ignorance but if it’s 9 teams why wouldn’t everyone play each other for 8 games?

I guess I’m over thinking this but I can’t seem to figure out the math or the logic behind 8 teams playing 8 games and 1 team playing 7 as opposed to 9 teams playing 8 games.
By tyndal23
aredd33 wrote: November 9th, 2021, 12:51 pm
Sly Fox wrote: November 9th, 2021, 12:07 pm So with it appearing that MTSU & KU are staying in he league after all, that puts the membership at nine schools upon our entry in Fall 2023. That brings up several options. For football, that leaves an unbalanced schedule. Essentially the way a schedule works out is eight of the nine teams would play eight conference games and the 9th team would play seven. I wonder if we would be the one to offer be team #9 in order to keep five non-conference games a season?

So I’m not sure I understand.
Forgive my ignorance but if it’s 9 teams why wouldn’t everyone play each other for 8 games?

I guess I’m over thinking this but I can’t seem to figure out the math or the logic behind 8 teams playing 8 games and 1 team playing 7 as opposed to 9 teams playing 8 games.
I thought it was just me...9-8 carry the 1, add 4 =13...
By tyndal23
Sly Fox wrote: November 9th, 2021, 1:48 pm Honestly I typed that after working an overnight with an EMEA client. So my brain is a bit fried.
No worries. What are chances the reported new NCAA autonomy for all conferences allow CUSA to have a champ game with only 9 teams? I like 4 non con way more than 3, but 13th game is a major data point and $ that can’t be left behind. We would be only conference without a champ game ( like Big 12 was a few years back).
Since this thread is about CUSA, I wanted to add a few more things about our Athletic programs. We know have the opportunity to add women's golf which would look well for title nine. Women's swim team now have a conference home that is connected with the other D1 teams. Unfortunately womensw lacrosse will need a new home unless ASUN allows us to stay. I was hoping that we could see if it's possible to become an affiliate with the Big East since our field hockey team residents there. If possible the men's team can join as well if it does not conflicts with Title IX.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
With the NCAA Constitutional Convention resulting in likely changes ot the by-laws it is tough to guess anything. Obviously the Big XII received a waiver to have a CCG with just ten teams. Who knows at this stage?
By Ill flame
Sly's exhausted ramblings do bring up a good point though. With 9 members, one team on any given week will have to play a nonconference game later in the season while everyone else is playing conference games. We already have P5 games scheduled later in the season in 2023, 2024, 2025 and 2027. There's really no reason why we can't request that the conference plan around those games or continue to do so in the future if we decide to schedule more late season P5 games. It could be a big win for us by providing more flexibility to schedule big games and it would be pretty easy for the conference to work around.
It would take us finally joining a conference to drag me back here. While IMHO this isn't exactly great I still think it puts Liberty in a better position down the road. Got a lot of things to work out internally as a university and the CUSA was desperate enough to look past the warts of the ongoing skeletons being revealed in the closet on the university side and focus on how well the athletic department is doing. I'm grateful for that. stinks that we won't be able to play as many P5 games. Was nice being able to beat half the ACC. I'm sure we will wind up with sunbelt and American games and maybe 1 P5 a year. That limits exposure nationally but I think with the rate at which we were beating P5's we would run into scheduling problems down the road anyway.
Purple Haize liked this
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]