Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Ill flame
tyndal23 wrote: February 12th, 2022, 1:10 pm
Ill flame wrote: February 12th, 2022, 1:26 am C-USA has won a first round game in 5 of the last 6 tournaments. That liberty win a few years ago has been the only asun tourney win outside of the FGCU win against another #16 seed in that time period. I enjoy playing in the tournament every year but the odds of us getting an upset in the first round isn't good right now and I think we are near our ceiling in the asun. In c-usa the expectation would be to make it to the second round when we do make the tournament.

There's no doubt in my mind that we will get better recruits playing against teams like nmsu and Louisiana tech on a regular basis compared to teams like Bellarmine and stetson. I also expect fan interest to be a lot higher, the overall quality of basketball is so much higher in c-usa.
OK. I guess show me the recruiting rankings, then verify McKay has been losing recruits because we aren’t in CUSA. 3-4 Non P5 Conferences you could make that argument, that a recruit would choose higher level, but not a single 1 bid league is currently a recruiting hurdle for McKay. Same for Softball and Baseball.
The highest recruiting rankings we've ever had was the 2021 class and we were ranked 130. 6 c-usa schools finished higher with western Kentucky pulling in the 52nd ranked class.
By tyndal23
Ill flame wrote: February 12th, 2022, 2:54 pm
tyndal23 wrote: February 12th, 2022, 1:10 pm
Ill flame wrote: February 12th, 2022, 1:26 am C-USA has won a first round game in 5 of the last 6 tournaments. That liberty win a few years ago has been the only asun tourney win outside of the FGCU win against another #16 seed in that time period. I enjoy playing in the tournament every year but the odds of us getting an upset in the first round isn't good right now and I think we are near our ceiling in the asun. In c-usa the expectation would be to make it to the second round when we do make the tournament.

There's no doubt in my mind that we will get better recruits playing against teams like nmsu and Louisiana tech on a regular basis compared to teams like Bellarmine and stetson. I also expect fan interest to be a lot higher, the overall quality of basketball is so much higher in c-usa.
OK. I guess show me the recruiting rankings, then verify McKay has been losing recruits because we aren’t in CUSA. 3-4 Non P5 Conferences you could make that argument, that a recruit would choose higher level, but not a single 1 bid league is currently a recruiting hurdle for McKay. Same for Softball and Baseball.
The highest recruiting rankings we've ever had was the 2021 class and we were ranked 130. 6 c-usa schools finished higher with western Kentucky pulling in the 52nd ranked class.
WKU 13-11 with a net ranking of 118 compared to LU net ranking of 98. Guess hoops recruitng ratings are even more inaccurate than football...maybe we will dominate CUSA and get to the tourney every year ( with same seed we would have gotten in ASUN ). SCAR says real tough to win conference tourney champ games at MTSU, WKU,NMSU,La Tech - we will see.
By tyndal23
JK37 wrote: February 12th, 2022, 3:30 pm
tyndal23 wrote: February 12th, 2022, 1:02 pm the knee jerk panic move of leaving Independence
It was not a knee-jerk, panicked move.

tyndal23 wrote: February 12th, 2022, 1:02 pm I would probably have a reasonable argument
Probably not.
Ha. Ok, it was a well researched and thought out long term plan and Ian was just blowing smoke about all the benefits Independence provided and being a P5 level program. I will buy it. $4 million to HC with $400k in total football tv $, but at least our basketball team will be playing higher quality opponents and have a harder time making NCAA tourney, BUT when they do, they will be the same seed as if in ASUN. On top of that, we will have all these close regional schools who will pack our stadiums and arenas ( oh wait ) and think of the travel cost savings, ( oh wait ).
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: February 12th, 2022, 4:33 pm Everyone is freee to grumble all they like. But this is all water under the bridge. Personally I am jazzed to be playing for a conference title in football and having legitimate competition in hoops. I guess this is a matter of tastes.
This. Right here. Football now has something to play for every year instead of just a Bowl Game. Playing for a Conference Championship is a big deal
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: February 12th, 2022, 7:28 pm Even more critical than having something to play for, is having someone to play against.
I mean Home and Home against NMSU every year is appealing :shock:
By tyndal23
alabama24 wrote: February 12th, 2022, 9:23 pm I say we fire Ian and Hugh and hire tyndal23 instead. He is much more knowledgable about these things. :lol:
Make me President and I will triple Ian’s salary, give HF another raise with largest recruiting budget in CFB and a 5 year window with only way to be fired JS with cause and immediate withdrawal from CUSA, 6 minimum FBS games with 2 FBS home games, a check big enough to buy Ritchie in to A10 and $ for home P5 games. The old farts on here would boycott, but we would move from the back of the bus to the front real quick...
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
tyndal23 wrote: February 12th, 2022, 9:32 pm
alabama24 wrote: February 12th, 2022, 9:23 pm I say we fire Ian and Hugh and hire tyndal23 instead. He is much more knowledgable about these things. :lol:
Make me President and I will triple Ian’s salary, give HF another raise with largest recruiting budget in CFB and a 5 year window with only way to be fired JS with cause and immediate withdrawal from CUSA, 6 minimum FBS games with 2 FBS home games, a check big enough to buy Ritchie in to A10 and $ for home P5 games. The old farts on here would boycott, but we would move from the back of the bus to the front real quick...
By tyndal23
And I will even wait until 2025, give old Judy some room to breathe, fans some time to absorb G5 Champ emptiness, allow for rest of teams to stay in CUSA if they want ( cash $ commitment to CUSA for travel $ rest of the schools to divvy up annually and having UMass or UConn take our football only membership slot ). Give Judy a reminder that we saved her conference and just want our FB Independence back and a deal to stagger her conference schedule so LU can play 2 CUSA teams late Oct and November ( MTSU and WKU - to satisfy our locals “regional yearnings” and help fill those tougher weeks of scheduling. Free Popcorn ( branded of course ) buckets, and best Nachos in the nation. ND scheduled by 2032 and home and homes with ACC by 2030, ACC invite by 2035 ( or your money back ). Number 1 Research University in the Nation on the effects of Keto diet and Christianity. Tyndal23 for Prez -“ Vison Realized”. GoFundMe info to follow once I open a bank account and learn how to set it up.
By SumItUp
Registration Days Posts
tyndal23 wrote: February 12th, 2022, 10:49 pm

And I will even wait until 2025, give old Judy some room to breathe, fans some time to absorb G5 Champ emptiness, allow for rest of teams to stay in CUSA if they want ( cash $ commitment to CUSA for travel $ rest of the schools to divvy up annually and having UMass or UConn take our football only membership slot ). Give Judy a reminder that we saved her conference and just want our FB Independence back and a deal to stagger her conference schedule so LU can play 2 CUSA teams late Oct and November ( MTSU and WKU - to satisfy our locals “regional yearnings” and help fill those tougher weeks of scheduling. Free Popcorn ( branded of course ) buckets, and best Nachos in the nation. ND scheduled by 2032 and home and homes with ACC by 2030, ACC invite by 2035 ( or your money back ). Number 1 Research University in the Nation on the effects of Keto diet and Christianity. Tyndal23 for Prez -“ Vison Realized”. GoFundMe info to follow once I open a bank account and learn how to set it up.
you have the best posts when you start drinking
Purple Haize, alabama24, JK37 and 2 others liked this
By Ill flame
SumItUp wrote: February 12th, 2022, 11:58 pm
tyndal23 wrote: February 12th, 2022, 10:49 pm And I will even wait until 2025, give old Judy some room to breathe, fans some time to absorb G5 Champ emptiness, allow for rest of teams to stay in CUSA if they want ( cash $ commitment to CUSA for travel $ rest of the schools to divvy up annually and having UMass or UConn take our football only membership slot ). Give Judy a reminder that we saved her conference and just want our FB Independence back and a deal to stagger her conference schedule so LU can play 2 CUSA teams late Oct and November ( MTSU and WKU - to satisfy our locals “regional yearnings” and help fill those tougher weeks of scheduling. Free Popcorn ( branded of course ) buckets, and best Nachos in the nation. ND scheduled by 2032 and home and homes with ACC by 2030, ACC invite by 2035 ( or your money back ). Number 1 Research University in the Nation on the effects of Keto diet and Christianity. Tyndal23 for Prez -“ Vison Realized”. GoFundMe info to follow once I open a bank account and learn how to set it up.
you have the best posts when you start drinking
Tyndall23 after dark > Pac 12 after dark
alabama24 liked this
By tyndal23
alabama24 wrote: February 14th, 2022, 1:02 pm Back to the topic? :roll:

I wonder if any of the dominos fall such as we end up moving to CUSA this year, at least in football.
Seems like a big mess and a lot of red tape, expensive and not much upside. Especially after just reshuffling the deck for 2023 games. Even if the desire was there, I think it is doubtful. I am sure CUSA is probably requesting we try, but that is an enormous amount of strain with 6 months or so until kickoff. Maybe a better chance the other sports go and football follows in 23. Again, not an expert, but I can’t see it.
LUOrange liked this
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
Ill flame wrote: February 14th, 2022, 6:35 pm I'm not sure why CUSA would want that though
I don't remember if anyone posted about this above or not, but the three sunbelt bound teams have just announced that they will not compete in CUSA after June 22. If the 6 teams headed for the AAC do the same, CUSA would be hurting for fall of 2022. A move up might make sense... Of course I would want us to keep the good home games, but we could ditch many of the road games.
By tyndal23
CUSA will be pressuring us to join 22, that gives CUSA East 6 teams ( currently 7 and losing 2 - ODU/Marshall). CUSA West will drop from 7 to 6 ( losing Southern Miss). That gives a nice even # with 2 cross over games. I doubt LU wants to go through the effort and expense to accommodate at this late hour....we will see.
By Ill flame
alabama24 wrote: February 14th, 2022, 7:11 pm
Ill flame wrote: February 14th, 2022, 6:35 pm I'm not sure why CUSA would want that though
I don't remember if anyone posted about this above or not, but the three sunbelt bound teams have just announced that they will not compete in CUSA after June 22. If the 6 teams headed for the AAC do the same, CUSA would be hurting for fall of 2022. A move up might make sense... Of course I would want us to keep the good home games, but we could ditch many of the road games.
I don't think those AAC schools are going anywhere. The big 12 isn't planning on moving up the expansion timeline which means the AAC has no incentive to move up their expansion timeline. The sunbelt is the only conference that benefits from having schools join early except potentially the SEC.
LUOrange liked this
By LUOrange
I wouldn't mind our Olympic sports going to CUSA, but I also don't want to shaft the ASUN either. I suspect that we'll keep most of our sports that CUSA doesn't have in the ASUN.

We'd be a fool to try and off-load our 2022 schedule now. The lost money and the bad blood with those schools on the schedule is bad enough, but giving away an opportunity to really build our brand and fanbase by hosting Tech and BYU would be asinine. Of course I'd have to think that Flames Cub members and other donors would flee considerably if we let those games go.

But then again, we've been offloading all of our P5 games, including UVA, and adopting this 1 P5 a year philosophy- none of which makes any sense to me. So maybe we will.
By tyndal23
LUOrange wrote: February 14th, 2022, 9:28 pm I wouldn't mind our Olympic sports going to CUSA, but I also don't want to shaft the ASUN either. I suspect that we'll keep most of our sports that CUSA doesn't have in the ASUN.

We'd be a fool to try and off-load our 2022 schedule now. The lost money and the bad blood with those schools on the schedule is bad enough, but giving away an opportunity to really build our brand and fanbase by hosting Tech and BYU would be asinine. Of course I'd have to think that Flames Cub members and other donors would flee considerably if we let those games go.

But then again, we've been offloading all of our P5 games, including UVA, and adopting this 1 P5 a year philosophy- none of which makes any sense to me. So maybe we will.
Get with the Program LUOrange, it’s all about thinking small these days. Know your place. Don’t muddy the waters with nonsense, just because there are no formal rules to how LU builds its Program, doesn’t mean you can just flout the G5 Model to success.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
LUOrange wrote: February 14th, 2022, 9:28 pm I wouldn't mind our Olympic sports going to CUSA, but I also don't want to shaft the ASUN either. I suspect that we'll keep most of our sports that CUSA doesn't have in the ASUN.

Yeah the 2022 FB schedule is pretty nice. It’s why I didn’t mind paying extra this year for all the accoutrements. (Although I’m missing the home opener. Duh!). LU needs to obviously keep Tech and BYU. Keeping Arkansas on the road is good too. The rest I’m open to negotiate. Including making the home opener on a different Saturday :)
LUOrange liked this
Election 2022 and 2024

Professional protestors? Let me guess funded by […]

Uh… You guys like reading?

I try to alternate non-fiction with fiction and […]

Wondering if you have looked into catching the n[…]

Expect it when you least expect it. Studying it is[…]