Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

Liberty_2023 wrote: June 8th, 2022, 7:47 pm I know Conference USA's Tv deal is set to expire after the 22-23 season but regardless of how the new contract works out Liberty will be making more revenue than from the ASUN correct?
It's very likely although we would probably be spending as much in increased travel costs than we would be making with the new TV deal.
Ill flame wrote: June 8th, 2022, 10:01 pm
Liberty_2023 wrote: June 8th, 2022, 7:47 pm I know Conference USA's Tv deal is set to expire after the 22-23 season but regardless of how the new contract works out Liberty will be making more revenue than from the ASUN correct?
It's very likely although we would probably be spending as much in increased travel costs than we would be making with the new TV deal.
While I agree any TV revenue is going to be nominal, have you seen the travel issues we have in the ASUN? Sure we have that trip to El Paso for many sports once a year. But that is really the only significant travel cost upgrade. We'll have a few less bus trips but otherwise we are already flying most places in ASUN.
TH Spangler wrote: July 21st, 2022, 8:45 pm Some rumors floating around about Jackson State or North Carolina A&T getting an invite to CUSA. Jackson State averaged 42,293 fans @ Veterans Memorial Stadium for its six home games a year ago.
Jackson State is recruiting 4 and 5 stars. They'll help boost CUSA and the recruiting process. I would rather CUSA talk to Howard University just to get the D.C. market plus academics.
Jackson st has a roughly $8 million budget for their athletic department. Currently the lowest fbs school is ul Monroe at $15 million and we are at $50 million. I don't know if they are just handing out tickets to get to those attendance numbers but I don't want jackson st anywhere near the same conference as us. Let's not forget that they got destroyed in the celebration bowl with all of those overrated 4 star transfers.
By rtb72
TH Spangler wrote: July 21st, 2022, 8:45 pm Some rumors floating around about Jackson State or North Carolina A&T getting an invite to CUSA. Jackson State averaged 42,293 fans @ Veterans Memorial Stadium for its six home games a year ago.
I want A&T just so I can see their band and drumline every year. They are incredible....plus I live close to G'boro.
phoenix liked this
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Coach Prime is going to be gonzo soon in Jackson. Frankly I am shocked he is still there. That thumping by SC State probably kept him out of a P5 gig.

Those home attendance numbers are trumped up because of classics that are primarily marching band competitions where everyone leaves after halftime. Admittedly those halftimes are ridiculously amazing. But basing conferece expansion on these types of factors is very shortsighted. I don't see CUSA adding anyone any time soon.
rtb72 liked this
NC A&T is the much better invite. Their sports teams finished 80th in the Director's Cup for best overall sports teams, while Jackson State was 229th. NC A&T would fit geographically better in the east for Liberty. A couple years ago they beat East Carolina on the road in football.
sstaedtler wrote: July 22nd, 2022, 11:46 am
NC A&T is the much better invite. Their sports teams finished 80th in the Director's Cup for best overall sports teams, while Jackson State was 229th. NC A&T would fit geographically better in the east for Liberty. A couple years ago they beat East Carolina on the road in football.
I believe we have a decent working relationship with A&T as well. Another bonus is that they don't have Barstool giving Million dollar NIL deals to 5 stars to go there either.

However, if CUSA can't immediately land NDSU or another FBS (they can't), then they need to stand pat. Realignment's not done yet.
By rtb72
Of all the HBCUs in NC...AandT is by far the best. Also, they have a respectable following and solid bball and football programs. They are regionally logical for LU and other CUSA teams. They are a state funded school, so money is no issue. Academically, they have a top notch school and a highly respected School of Engineering, only rivaled in the state by UNC Charlotte and NC State. IMO...they would be a good add if that's a consideration.
ballcoach15 liked this
rtb72 wrote: July 24th, 2022, 10:28 pm Of all the HBCUs in NC...AandT is by far the best. Also, they have a respectable following and solid bball and football programs. They are regionally logical for LU and other CUSA teams. They are a state funded school, so money is no issue. Academically, they have a top notch school and a highly respected School of Engineering, only rivaled in the state by UNC Charlotte and NC State. IMO...they would be a good add if that's a consideration.
NC A&T's teams finished 80th in the Director's Cup, which is a far cry from Jackson State at #229. They'd be competitive in all sports and they would be a fairly local rival for LU. They averaged nearly 17,000 fans a game in 2019. While I generally might shy away from HBCU's, I think this one would be a very good add.
rtb72, ballcoach15 liked this
ballcoach15 wrote: July 27th, 2022, 8:37 am NC A&T is a good school...Back in the day, I had a lady friend who was a student there.
:denied
ballcoach15 liked this
LUOrange wrote: July 27th, 2022, 2:07 pm If this happens and each Conference Champs gets an auto-bid, as they should just like every other sport and division, joining CUSA will just get better.

This is absolutely where I see it heading.
TH Spangler, LUOrange liked this
Sixteen is where most everyone agrees it needs to go. The only hold up will be in who gets auto bids. The P5 is dead and likely the ACC, Big XII & Pac-12 auto bids along with them. Perhaps they come to some resolution of the top four conference champions based on rankings get the auto bids. In a 16-team tournament, there are no byes. I'll believe all of this when Greg Sankey says something. Warren and Sankey are not going to agree to anything that gives the other superconference any perceived advantage. Neither would want to enter a system that gives CUSA or another league much of a chance at getting a piece of the pie.
What we know at this stage is that CFP expansion is inevitable and that the G5 will need representation in some way for those conferences to agree to it. I don't see a scenario where they allow more than half the teams to be autobids since that doesn't benefit the top conferences that hold the most power. Even the top 8 conference champions in a 16 team tournament would be a great scenario for us though.
TH Spangler liked this
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Ill flame wrote: July 27th, 2022, 9:30 pm What we know at this stage is that CFP expansion is inevitable and that the G5 will need representation in some way for those conferences to agree to it.

While I agree that playoff expansion is in everyone's best interests, I do believe the G5 voices are even more muted now than in the past. We are looking at three tiers: SEC/B1G, Pac-12/Big XII/ACC & Everyone Else. The SEC & B1G have breakaway threat leverage to get whatever they want ... if they can agree with each other on what that looks like. My guess is ultimately 12 of those 16 slots will belong to either the B1G or SEC with the other four slots for everyone else. If the second tier gets three auto bids, that leaves one tiny slot for the rest of us to battle to achieve. It could be the four highest rated league champions taking the final four slots. That gives the appearance that everyone has a chance when in reality it is like buying a Mega Millions ticket. At least you have A chance. But not if you are an indy without the initials ND.
I don't see a scenario where they allow more than half the teams to be autobids since that doesn't benefit the top conferences that hold the most power. Even the top 8 conference champions in a 16 team tournament would be a great scenario for us though
Under current NCAA by-laws, at least half of tournament bids need to be filled by auto bids. Now we all know that NCAA governance in general is about to be re-worked. And it is entirely possible that the football tournament could be exempted completely and might even be a new creation unto itself.

In summary, I echo Ian's remarks to ASOR that we needed to be in a league for multiple reasons. While CUSA not have been our first choice, it does position us for what could be coming down the road. In the meantime, non-football sports are getting a massive upgrade. That will likely mean it will be tougher for us to compete for Director's Cup rankings as our competition is going ot make it tougher to win league titles.
Baybird liked this
You are over exaggerating how dominant the SEC/B1G will be once they officially expand. Last year those two conferences would've combined for 8 teams in the top 16 if you count oklahoma, texas, usc, and ucla. In 2019 they would've had 11 and in 2018 they would've had 10. These numbers will likely go down when teams like Oklahoma aren't the top dog in their conference anymore and will have more losses.

Yes that would be the majority of the slots but it is still enough to give auto bids to the top 6 conference champions without taking at large bids away from the SEC/B1G. It would even leave wiggle room for extra at large bids outside of the big 2 conferences most years. There doesn't appear to be much downside by doing it that way. Its not perfect but as long as we have a clear path i'll be happy. Eventually the CFP will keep expanding and our path will get easier anyway.

NCAA by-laws don't apply to the CFP. It is not a sanctioned tournament and the NCAA receives no money from it. This is why all we got was a blue blood invitational instead of a proper tournament with autobids for each conference like literally every other level of football.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Really good summary of the history and current situation for CUSA from the WKU beat writer:
Bowling Green (KY) Daily News wrote:C-USA hoping to ‘redefine ourselves’ with new programs
A look at what Conference USA is hoping to accomplish moving forward

By JARED MacDONALD jmacdonald@bgdailynews.com

ARLINGTON, Texas – Conference USA is hoping to change the perception of the league moving forward.

The league is in a period of transition amid realignment, with three now-former members – Marshall, Old Dominion and Southern Miss – moving to the Sun Belt on July 1 and with six more – Charlotte, Florida Atlantic, North Texas, Rice, UAB and UTSA – entering their final seasons in C-USA before becoming members of the American Athletic Conference. C-USA will welcome Jacksonville State, Liberty, New Mexico State and Sam Houston State as new members of the conference next summer, joining FIU, Louisiana Tech, Middle Tennessee, UTEP and Western Kentucky.

While hoping to provide a quality experience for its current membership in the upcoming seasons, it knows a focus on the future is important as well.
Click Here for Full Story

The most intriguing nuggets regard the media negotations where Ian is clearly playing a role. The league is still under their exclusively negotiating window with CBS Sports Network, Stadium & ESPN+. "Judy Jeep" hopes to have an announcement in next few weeks or months:
“The other part is a real balancing act – obviously we want to provide as much revenue as we can. But we’re also at a stage where exposure is really important, too. Exposure is always important, but as a new group going forward to get that out there and help educate people on who’s in the league and what we’re all about, so we are working on a branding strategy to kick off with the new group. Our media partner should be a big part of that.”

The league has hired Octagon to help facilitate the next deal, and many across the league were optimistic for a better outcome than the previous one.

“I think when you’re talking about a Group of Five conference you’ve got to be creative in how you’re packaging the programs,” Moccia said, “but I was very impressed with the discussions I heard.”

Liberty has formed a strong relationship with ESPN in recent years as a television and bowl partner, and McCaw – while acknowledging that an attractive television agreement “may require to do some things nontraditionally” – he is hopeful “our ESPN relationship will be something that will be helpful to Conference USA overall.”
LUOrange, Baybird, rtb72 liked this
Election 2022 and 2024

Professional protestors? Let me guess funded by […]

Uh… You guys like reading?

I try to alternate non-fiction with fiction and […]

Wondering if you have looked into catching the n[…]

Expect it when you least expect it. Studying it is[…]