Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By LUOrange
IMO keeping Tech and UVA on the schedule as much as possible is very important for our brand and fanbase in the State. Obviously, I wasn't in the room or the phone calls, but I don't know how easily I would've let them out of the contract with out a solid agreement to reschedule ASAP. I'd think both of most our fanbases would want these games to be played. Besides, there was/is a very good chance that both Ad's and HC's would be gone by the completion of the old contract. Tech gets a lot more credit from me for being willing to play their in-state and regional rivals, win or lose.

Somehow, I think you're SOL on that UAB game, Purples. But I think we've all looked forward to this year. I also always hoped that this years schedule would be the Indy model going forward
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Keep in mind that both UVa & VT are in the Alliance. So scheduling them moving forward is much less likely. Ian had exceptionally hard decisions to make and letting the 'Hoos off the hook was probably the most difficult. You have to remember it was his hard work that got them on our schedule in the first place.

We built the schedules for 2022 to be a banner year for us. Now we just have to deliver the goods on the field. The schedules moving forward will not be as enticing. But we cetainly are likely to get more SEC opportunities don the road.
LUOrange liked this
By Ill flame
Do we know that scheduling will be harder with the alliance? The big ten and pac 12 are strongly considering dropping to 8 conference games to accommodate alliance scheduling. Unless they start allowing fcs games again it seems like the only meaningful change is the amount of games played against the SEC and big 12.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
If the Alliance lives up to what the three leagues envision, there will be no need for non-conference games outside the Alliance once contracts expire. The SEC & Big XII will likely be our only P5 opportunities moving forward. Hopefully we hang on to our other ACC series.
By Ill flame
I just don't see a scenario where bottom feeder P5 schools don't have at least 2 non P5s on the schedule unless P5 completely splits off. Those schools just want an easy non conference schedule so they can get to 6 wins and go bowling.
By tyndal23
Ill flame wrote: February 16th, 2022, 2:02 pm
Guess UMass and UConn won’t have to cancel football after all. How many on here would prefer Football Independence ( with 2022 schedules and tougher ) and rest of teams in CUSA over CUSA all sports ? Which would get us to “the vision” faster? I prefer CUSA all sports IF the Indie scheduling philosophy were like 2023, but much prefer Indie with 4-6 P5 games.
By LUOrange
tyndal23 wrote: February 16th, 2022, 3:43 pm
Ill flame wrote: February 16th, 2022, 2:02 pm
Guess UMass and UConn won’t have to cancel football after all. How many on here would prefer Football Independence ( with 2022 schedules and tougher ) and rest of teams in CUSA over CUSA all sports ? Which would get us to “the vision” faster? I prefer CUSA all sports IF the Indie scheduling philosophy were like 2023, but much prefer Indie with 4-6 P5 games.
Truth be told, even as an Indy we weren't going to get a similarly scheduled season again merely cause Freeze doesn't want them. We may have had 2 P5's though, which is what i'd prefer with being in CUSA.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
flamehunter wrote: February 16th, 2022, 4:25 pm Why do we need to get to "the vision" faster? Faster/sooner is not always better.
If LU stayed Independent the Vision would be a nightmare because there’s no one to schedule a full season with at that point.
By Ill flame
I was really hoping the big ten and pac 12 would go back to an 8 game conference schedule since they are just hurting themselves from a competitive standpoint instead of playing more G5s like the ACC and SEC does. I just read that the B1G may get a billion dollar a year contract with the extra conference game being a big part of that. I believe it considering the SEC made the mistake of signing an exclusive deal with ESPN while the B1G fully intends on pitting espn, fox, CBS and nbc in a bidding war for their tv rights. If anything the SEC and ACC may rethink only playing 8 conference games or risk falling behind financially. Despite the alliance not being what people thought it would be, I'm not optimistic about our long term prospects of being able to schedule multiple P5s consistently. P5s are trying their hardest to limit buy games since tv networks don't like them.
By tyndal23
Purple Haize wrote: February 16th, 2022, 11:40 pm
flamehunter wrote: February 16th, 2022, 4:25 pm Why do we need to get to "the vision" faster? Faster/sooner is not always better.
If LU stayed Independent the Vision would be a nightmare because there’s no one to schedule a full season with at that point.
Scroll up...The Alliance cratered.
By tyndal23
Ill flame wrote: February 17th, 2022, 3:01 am I was really hoping the big ten and pac 12 would go back to an 8 game conference schedule since they are just hurting themselves from a competitive standpoint instead of playing more G5s like the ACC and SEC does. I just read that the B1G may get a billion dollar a year contract with the extra conference game being a big part of that. I believe it considering the SEC made the mistake of signing an exclusive deal with ESPN while the B1G fully intends on pitting espn, fox, CBS and nbc in a bidding war for their tv rights. If anything the SEC and ACC may rethink only playing 8 conference games or risk falling behind financially. Despite the alliance not being what people thought it would be, I'm not optimistic about our long term prospects of being able to schedule multiple P5s consistently. P5s are trying their hardest to limit buy games since tv networks don't like them.
Outside of Vanderbilt, any SEC game is more eyeballs than rest of ACC with exception of a Clemson/ND matchup game. So comparing tv $ against PAC and Big 12 isn’t really a good comparison. As for the bidding- I have always said that long term contract model is flawed and short sighted. If 32 teams or so break away, guaranty they will do an NFL type model where they bid out individual games/packages to several networks and probably annual. It will convert to a % of profit scenario that network keeps x %.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
tyndal23 wrote: February 17th, 2022, 3:30 am
Purple Haize wrote: February 16th, 2022, 11:40 pm
Scroll up...The Alliance cratered.
And? Enough schools have that mindset. Building full schedules was going to be a Herculean task in the very near future and beyond. LU would resort to playing New Mexico State home and home every year just to get enough games.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: February 17th, 2022, 12:13 pm We have zero interest or need to join early. There will be 11 teams without us next year.
Any solution that involves LU keeping Tech and BYU while moving the home opener off it’s current date I’m all for!
LUOrange liked this
By tyndal23
Watching future CUSA games, the arenas are much better and tv production as well. A lot of big arenas and very small crowds. I don’t think I have seen one at 1/3 capacity yet. I think LU got it right on the size,but need scrap the front section of chair back bleachers and make it 5 rows of pull out bleachers ( no chair back - just like Duke ) all the way around, students only. 20 court-side seats for premium tickets and rest of season ticket holders behind student section. 1st 500 ( or whatever # ) students in get tv side right behind opposing team bench. A big chunk of season tickets are sitting empty ( not just an LU problem ). EZ fix to dramatically change noise and crowd participation. Get student section consistently on tv like football and is is a scene. Sticking them behind the goals isn’t working....
By rmiller1959
Registration Days Posts
Should we be concerned about how C-USA is handling this situation? It's not a good look, and this should have been settled behind closed doors a while ago. If departing schools want to leave early, negotiating an exit fee makes sense. There's no upside to forcing them to stay when they've made the decision to go.

https://theathletic.com/news/marshall-s ... 8WACIDkxp/
Baybird liked this
By BlueBlood
Two ideas:

1) Is C-USA's concern that if they let the SunBelt 3 out without the required/proper notice, the AAC 6 might turn around and demand the same thing? - which would leave C-USA with only 5 teams for next year?

2) Also, maybe if they lose game inventory, their media partners will reduce the amount paid to the league?
My understanding is that the departing schools are supposed to play games next year, but not collect their share of C-USA distributions (essentially, playing next year for free). The remaining schools would benefit from media income being the same, but not paying the departing schools. The remaining schools lose this income if the 3 schools are allowed to leave early and the media deal is reduced pro rata.

I'm not sure it's as bad of a look as some folks are making it out to be. I mean, sticking your finger up in the air and saying you aren't going to abide by the leagues notice requirements isn't exactly a good look either. It's all posturing.
rmiller1959, LUOrange liked this
By LUOrange
I'm just here to say- I don't care. It doesn't involve us. This is between the MU, ODU & USM and Judy & presumably the 5 schools those 3 left hanging. Also, based upon what I've read, if 2 of those 5 remaining schools had been willing to initially vote for us last fall, they wouldn't be in this mess and MU & ODU would still be in CUSA along with JMU. I'm sure McCaw is wise enough to stay out of this fight.
BlueBlood liked this
NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my fa[…]

LaTech

Liberty 2 LaTech 0. Yoder pitched 1 hitter with 8 […]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]