Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By tyndal23
Ian,

BYU is headed to Big 12 2023 and their USC 11/25 game is in doubt ( neither team wants it at this point ). We as fans and boosters don’t want to end our season with UMass,UConn,NMSU and only have 2 P5 games and 4 MAC games. We appreciate your scheduling to date, but after our current success, 23/24 schedules leave us feeling uninspired. Please reach out and use relationships and resources to facilitate this schedule tweak and have LU play USC, make NMSU whole, and a win for all parties involved.

Regards,
Tyndal23 and all Flames Nation ( not living in New Mexico ).
P.S. - yes we are aware it may be changing a probable win to a possible loss...
LUOrange liked this
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
Look guys, if I was able to schedule a game at USC in NCAA Football 14, there's no reason we shouldn't be able to do it in real life. Think big.
flamehunter, Kricket, stokesjokes and 2 others liked this
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
If I were to make a list of the top 5 schools in the US that would never play LU because of our political/religious stands USC would be at or near the top of that list. But I guess if we want to play them, they'll just have to concede.
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
flamehunter wrote: October 10th, 2021, 8:23 am If I were to make a list of the top 5 schools in the US that would never play LU because of our political/religious stands USC would be at or near the top of that list. But I guess if we want to play them, they'll just have to concede.
I was thinking the same thing. The only thing that confuses me is that they had BYU on the schedule.
By tyndal23
flamehunter wrote: October 10th, 2021, 8:23 am If I were to make a list of the top 5 schools in the US that would never play LU because of our political/religious stands USC would be at or near the top of that list. But I guess if we want to play them, they'll just have to concede.
USC Is full of conservatives - business school especially. Their film school - not so much. Any CAteam that plays BYU will play LU.
By Just John
Registration Days Posts
tyndal23 wrote: October 10th, 2021, 3:18 pm
USC Is full of conservatives - business school especially. Their film school - not so much. Any CAteam that plays BYU will play LU.
As a private school, USC has always been considered more conservative than the state university system, albeit more financially than culturally of course. As for the FB program, Helton, now gone, was known to be a strong believer and they have always recruited heavily from the SoCal Catholic high school programs. I don't think they would hire Freeze as a coach but not because he's a Christian. Likewise, I don't think a decision to play LU would be based on LU being a Chsristian school.
flameshaw liked this
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
California has always been rich with talented recruits who hold our philosophy. If there was a list of past players who should've played here but never did, there would be quite a few from CA. I'm just glad that Ian sees this.
By Rubicon
I don't get where the thought "neither USC nor BYU wants to play the game" came from.

The game is not going to be cancelled, and neither team wants it to be cancelled.
LUOrange, JK37 liked this
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
I am a USC fan and would like to see them hire HF (if he is going to leave in the next couple of years). However, I do not believe it would be a win for the coach. Those CA boys are a different breed now days. They are great athletes, but I do not believe that they are focused/tough enough to play for a HF type. Too many distractions in SoCal. Now LSU would be another story.
By tyndal23
Rubicon wrote: October 11th, 2021, 9:40 am I don't get where the thought "neither USC nor BYU wants to play the game" came from.

The game is not going to be cancelled, and neither team wants it to be cancelled.
Ok, go plug in Big 12 schedule for BYU 2023 and figure out how to pull it off.
By tyndal23
tyndal23 wrote: October 11th, 2021, 3:26 pm
Rubicon wrote: October 11th, 2021, 9:40 am I don't get where the thought "neither USC nor BYU wants to play the game" came from.

That would give them 12 straight P5 games - playing USC ( a non con ) last game of season ? they probably aren’t dropping their home game vs TN.

https://fbschedules.com/ncaa/liberty/

https://fbschedules.com/ncaa/byu/
By Ill flame
tyndal23 wrote: October 11th, 2021, 3:34 pm We should also drop Campbell home game and take their NC State road game on 11/09 in 2024.
I'm all for replacing a road game at NMSU with a game at USC but replacing a home game to bring us down to 5 probably isn't a smart move. We already have 5 tough games on our schedule that year.
By tyndal23
Ill flame wrote: October 11th, 2021, 7:02 pm
tyndal23 wrote: October 11th, 2021, 3:34 pm We should also drop Campbell home game and take their NC State road game on 11/09 in 2024.
I'm all for replacing a road game at NMSU with a game at USC but replacing a home game to bring us down to 5 probably isn't a smart move. We already have 5 tough games on our schedule that year.
Yea, if we aren’t very good can easily start 2-5. Flip side, if we are good - the last month is pretty rude.
By tyndal23
Ill flame wrote: October 11th, 2021, 8:19 pm We still need to work towards finding that balance of winning and SOS. 3 P5s and 3 top G5s with only 5 home games isn't it imo.
Deal. Adjust the 23 schedule with USC and you can keep 24 schedule in place and your Campbell home game.
By Ill flame
tyndal23 wrote: October 11th, 2021, 8:59 pm
Ill flame wrote: October 11th, 2021, 8:19 pm We still need to work towards finding that balance of winning and SOS. 3 P5s and 3 top G5s with only 5 home games isn't it imo.
Deal. Adjust the 23 schedule with USC and you can keep 24 schedule in place and your Campbell home game.
Now if scheduling was only that easy lol
By tyndal23
Interesting options when looking at UCF, Cinci,BYU, HoustOn schedule potential shifts for 23/24 Cinci has a game with NC State in 23, We can also steal ECU ( I like that much more than MAC games ) UCF will keep their FL games I imagine. There will be some wheeling and dealing happening for sure - hope we are the prime deal maker. ( assuming we aren’t in AAC - which I really don’t care to be, but...)
LUOrange liked this
By LUOrange
ballcoach15 wrote: October 12th, 2021, 8:10 am The only "USC" Liberty should play is University of South Carolina.

Play both of them here and there, as many times as we can and beat them as much as possible too! We're not above playing any FBS team, especially P5's.
By tyndal23
LUOrange wrote: October 12th, 2021, 2:25 pm
ballcoach15 wrote: October 12th, 2021, 8:10 am The only "USC" Liberty should play is University of South Carolina.

Play both of them here and there, as many times as we can and beat them as much as possible too! We're not above playing any FBS team, especially P5's.
2023 you would play both USC’s...
By Rubicon
tyndal23 wrote: October 11th, 2021, 3:26 pm

Oh, you mean the 2023 game. I thought you meant the game at the end of the season this year.

That makes a lot more sense! :wink: I have no idea what will happen to already scheduled games years down the road.

Agreed Cruzan. Memphis just got $5 million a […]

New Mexico State

Crazy game, should have won it about an hour and a[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

We went from everyone on the team being 6’7&[…]

2024 Season Thread

This weekend is a big series on the road against a[…]