Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Middle Tennessee State University
Murfreeesboro, Tennessee

MTSU Football Official Site

Go Middle Rivals Message Board

Rick Stockstill
16th Season as MTSU Head Coach

2021 Schedule/Results

Sep 04 - Monmouth ............................................ W 50-15
Sep 11 - @ Virginia Tech ...................................... L 14-35
Sep 18 - @ UTSA* ................................................. L, 13-27
Sep 24 - @ Charlotte* ........................................... L 39-42
Oct 02 - Marshall* ................................................ W 34-28
Oct 09 - @ Liberty ................................................ 2:30 PM (ESPN3)
Oct 22 - @ UConn
Oct 30 - Southern Miss*
Nov 06 - @ WKU*
Nov 13 - FIU*
Nov 20 - ODU*
Nov 27 - @ FAU*

Week 1 Highlights - Monmouth

Week 2 Highlights @ Virginia Tech

Week 3 Highlights @ UTSA

Week 4 Highlights @ Charlotte:
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
LU 57 wrote: October 3rd, 2021, 9:05 am Their relatively easy time with Marshall raised my eyebrows. That and how much trouble they gave VT.

Will be interesting.
I know they were up by more earlier, but I wouldn't describe a 6 point win at home as an "easy time". Also, 8 days ago they lost to Charlotte. Yes, the 49ers are improved, but not that much. While it was a big win for their program, you can only give a team so much credit for beating Duke in football.
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
I'm with you guys, they might be better than they appear. Any FBS game is not a gimme.

That being said, we're the better team and at home. It shouldn't be close if we prepare right.
Sly Fox liked this
By LU 57
olldflame wrote: October 3rd, 2021, 9:18 am
LU 57 wrote: October 3rd, 2021, 9:05 am Their relatively easy time with Marshall raised my eyebrows. That and how much trouble they gave VT.

Will be interesting.
I know they were up by more earlier, but I wouldn't describe a 6 point win at home as an "easy time". Also, 8 days ago they lost to Charlotte. Yes, the 49ers are improved, but not that much. While it was a big win for their program, you can only give a team so much credit for beating Duke in football.
Fair enough. Marshall made a late run but were down 34-14 when I first saw the score.

Marshal had 6 TOs. 👀
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
It was pouring down rain for most of the game, hence all the fumbles. Marshall made their run at the end once it stopped. We should be fine here.
By LUOrange
Blow the doors off MTSU, ULM, UNT and UMASS, and at minimum we should gain back much of the ground we lost to Syracuse before heading into Oxford. I'm surprised we didn't gain any votes for the hurting we put on UAB.
Dalegarz1, phoenix liked this
By CCWMichael
ballcoach15 wrote: October 6th, 2021, 6:54 am Looks like MTSU game will be a wet one.
Wet ball practice time.
Had a coach back in the 80's that for 1 day pulled out the greased balls.e would practice with water soaked balls but one day was reserved for the near impossible. They would break out a ton of old worn balls that were coated in water and a bit of oil. Not over kill on the oil but enough to make it tough. A messy day and typically away from all the other equipment. It was a great challenge to see hold could win each group but even more so was the super concentration on holding the rock.
By jmclaughlin
Bailey Hockman was MT's starting QB coming into the season but "retired" for some upstanding reasons a few weeks back. We should all remember him well though since he was the only QB to beat us last year...err... being a part of the team that we allowed to beat us. MT was his third school since 2017 to be a part of. I personally think he was too scared to face us again :wink:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb ... ar-AAOE1jT
LUOrange liked this
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: October 6th, 2021, 6:54 am Looks like MTSU game will be a wet one.
They played a rain soaked game against Marshall last week and got 6 TO's, I believe one returned for a TD. Maybe It'll be our turn to win the TO battle.
By tyndal23
These are the games that make me nervous, coming off a big win, Homecoming, big favorites, dual threat QB, rain in the forecast, coach under the weather. Hope we are focused in practice. This staff has been very good to date with these type games, so won’t stress too much about it.
jmclaughlin liked this
By jmclaughlin
100% tyndal. Bad weather doesn't favor a team that already struggles in the run game. Would hinder Malik greatly by neutralizing his scramble ability and down field throws to the edges. No doubt our coaches will have a modified plan if needed.
tyndal23 liked this
By tyndal23
Freeze know’s this coach, so whatever game plan he puts in I won’t argue, HOWEVER, I would like to see 200 yards rushing from our running backs. Focused on pounding the ball with our ( hopefully getting healthy ) O Line. MW has been bailing us out every drive - we can’t keep that up over a full season. Last year we ran against every one really well ( except NCState ) and especially in the 4th quarter protecting a lead. Even when we get some stats, it is a few big chunk runs - nothing at all consistent. Way to many 1-2 yard or no gain runs this year. Life gets a lot less stressful with a consistent good run game.
jmclaughlin, rtb72 liked this
By jmclaughlin
Saturday's Wish List:
To see the Offense at full strength. 1st string OL, Stubbs, Coleman, Lofton - all play
JMack + Green rip 5+ big chunk runs collectively
Shedro breaks one to the house
RB's included in the passing game
Solid Special teams performance either in the return game or from our Kicker(s)
Bonus: A Kadon Salter showing in garbage time (would be good for the recruits in the stands to see)

To see our DE's feast on the QB (5+ sacks from our edge rushers)
Force at least 2 turnovers
Force 4+ three and outs
Hold MTSU to under 120 yards rushing
Starters do not allow a play over 40yards
Less than 10 missed tackles
Khristian Zachary's first sack...if he is healthy enough to go.

Cover the spread by halftime
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Just checked the hourly weather forecast for Saturday. The chance of rain has DROPPED to only 47% chance during the Homecoming Parade time of 12:30.
:rainy
By tyndal23
TH Spangler wrote: October 7th, 2021, 8:05 am
tyndal23 wrote: October 6th, 2021, 3:06 pm coach under the weather.
What's up. Pouring rain will not help.
Turns out just a Sinus infection, a few players also have it, said everyone powered through it and practiced well this week even though they were not feeling great.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
tyndal23 wrote: October 7th, 2021, 2:29 pm
TH Spangler wrote: October 7th, 2021, 8:05 am
tyndal23 wrote: October 6th, 2021, 3:06 pm coach under the weather.
What's up. Pouring rain will not help.
Turns out just a Sinus infection, a few players also have it, said everyone powered through it and practiced well this week even though they were not feeling great.
Glad everyones on the mend.

Not looking forward to rain. I've done it twice over the past 12 years. JMU 09 I think and North Texas a couple years ago. We lost both.
LU Campus Construction Thread

Are they changing the name of The Jerry Falwell[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

The Race War (Caste system) began full implementat[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

To suggest Cleveland won't start is pretty ignoran[…]

UTEP

Need a series win to clinch regular season title, […]