Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Announced attendance was 19K and change for a Homecoming crowd. Lots of empty seats on the students' side of the upper deck. Have they left early for Fall Break? :dontgetit
By LUOrange
Cider Jim wrote: October 9th, 2021, 9:12 pm Announced attendance was 19K and change for a Homecoming crowd. Lots of empty seats on the students' side of the upper deck. Have they left early for Fall Break? :dontgetit
I think the forecast and cooler weather scared a bunch off. Don't know the actual number of tickets sold, but scanning seats earlier yesterday online and it seemed they had sold most of the seats. Baptist side was definitely more crowded than usual, but appeared to have a lot of no-shows as well.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
On the Baptist side, I saw lots of what appeared to be young married alumni in their 20s with small kids, who loved rolling their Hot Wheels or Matchbox cars on the aluminum bleachers.
By Dalegarz1
When I compare to last year, the offense has not really established a "rhythm" for an extended period of time. Flow, might be a better word. The reason-too much reliance on Malik or wide outs not as dominant or lack of a consistent running game or play calling. What say you??
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
Dalegarz1 wrote: October 10th, 2021, 5:57 am When I compare to last year, the offense has not really established a "rhythm" for an extended period of time. Flow, might be a better word. The reason-too much reliance on Malik or wide outs not as dominant or lack of a consistent running game or play calling. What say you??
I think it may be the inconsistency of the offensive line. If you get sacked or can't run it's much harder to maintain drives and develop consistency. They just aren't dominating the line even against weak competition.
tyndal23 liked this
By Dalegarz1
I think you're right about the offensive line. We tried (unsuccessfully) to run 2 screens last night. On the second one our offensive lineman whiffed on a block that would have sprung our back. IMHO, our line is lacking in athleticism.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
Malik 2 pt conversion scramble was #4 on top 5 plays of college football final this am
LU 57, Baybird liked this
By Just John
Registration Days Posts
PAmedic wrote: October 10th, 2021, 12:01 pm Malik 2 pt conversion scramble was #4 on top 5 plays of college football final this am
Was a worthy play but not sure it was even his best play of the game. We laughed on multiple plays as we watched him escape tackle after tackle all night. SO MUCH FUN TO WATCH.
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: October 10th, 2021, 12:48 pm I wonder how much of that escapability will translate to the NFL. Pro’s don’t miss.
I was thinking that too. Malik seems to eat unathletic and poor tackling lines alive. He's not going to be able to do exactly what he's doing. Perhaps he will develop into more of a Russel Wilson or Aaron Rodgers type in the NFL. I can't wait to find out!
TH Spangler, Baybird liked this
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
rogers3 wrote: October 8th, 2021, 11:38 am
paradox wrote: October 8th, 2021, 9:18 am We sure seem to talk about JMU a lot.
For me, the history goes pretty far back. I remember when we had an absolute shootout back in the early 80's. We were the underdog, for sure, as JMU was 1AA and we were still D2. Phil Basso was quite the challenge for JMU. I think that between the close proximity, the history, and the positioning of the schools, they would have the potential to be a long-term rival if they ascend to FBS. Also- they have a huge contingent of evangelicals and have had the largest InterVarsity chapter in Virginia for quite a while.
From a local standpoint, it makes perfect sense. Nevertheless, we are a global institution with unique advantages. There are many examples of people from all over the world who are here because they share our philosophy. Sam Gado is a good illustration for football. And Hildo and Juice were the foundational players when we became eligible for our first NCAA bid. One guy originated from the ice hockey land of Winnipeg MB & rural MI. The other guy wasn't far from the mystical rainforests of Nigeria. Obviously, guys like this are not dropped on our doorsteps every day. But it happens. And it will continue happen, unless we lose sight of who we are.
jmclaughlin liked this
By LUOrange
TH Spangler wrote: October 10th, 2021, 1:35 pm
JK37 wrote: October 10th, 2021, 12:48 pm I wonder how much of that escapability will translate to the NFL. Pro’s don’t miss.
Good take on where he is. Yesterday I watched for the issues discussed. He does have a tendency to tap the ball in his left hand when he's ready to deliver. NFL is unforgiving :lol:

https://www.si.com/nfl/lions/news/is-ma ... -of-future
The dude's constructive criticisms are fair. However, he and many overlook the fact that Willis is only in year 2 of playing since high school. Willis' natural talent along with Freeze and Austin's coaching have gone together like waffles and syrup. We can only imagine what could be if Willis were dumb enough to stay another year.

I don't watch the NFL or any pro sports anymore, but when I did, the Lions were one of a handful of teams where college superstar careers went to die. It doesn't sound like that has changed as the author doesn't appear to have any confidence in the Lions to be able to coach Willis up. Cause if he did some more research he'd know that Willis leads the pack in that too.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Too early to tell if Lions will be in the mix. Top pick could be trade bait as well. And, there's no guarantee that he will be valued as the unequivocal top pick. However, a strong performance and competitive effort against Ole Miss likely seals the deal. Hopefully, we have a healthy Douglas & Daniels for that game.
LaTech

Looks like we'll have to win with pitching cause t[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my fa[…]