Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
Wow. Bennett to sibley.
Did not see that one coming.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
Aaaaaaaand yet another issue
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
WHAT THE ACTUAL EFFF

Annnnd the kickoff

I’m done watching this slop.

Hopefully we don’t pull a Oregon
By rtb72
Kricket wrote: October 2nd, 2021, 10:51 pm They say 37k fans were there... I have a hard time believing that.
Totally agree, I was expecting many more fans based on what I'd heard. there were pockets of empty seats everywhere from the go...
Last edited by rtb72 on October 3rd, 2021, 9:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
By BlueBlood
Yeah, I was expecting A full stadium based on UAB hype, but definitely not even close to a full stadium.

Looks nice though.

Great game for LU - especially given all the love UAB is getting as an AAC expansion target. Actually, LU dismantled two of the most talked about AAC targets this year.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
UAB's fan forum has over 6 pages of Game Day comments, but I'll be reading most of those tomorrow:

https://csnbbs.com/thread-931118.html

Short version (Spoiler Alert):
1. UAB fans like their stadium and are amazed by Willis ("good team and great QB").
2. UAB fans complain about lack of fans in stadium, concessions, parking, refs, rain, their coach, dropped passes, and internet access in stadium.
ballcoach15, Liberty22 liked this
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote: October 3rd, 2021, 12:01 am UAB's fan forum has over 6 pages of Game Day comments, but I'll be reading most of those tomorrow:

https://csnbbs.com/thread-931118.html

Short version (Spoiler Alert):
1. UAB fans like their stadium and are amazed by Willis ("good team and great QB").
2. UAB fans complain about lack of fans in stadium, concessions, parking, refs, rain, their coach, dropped passes, and internet access in stadium.
After reading some of that thread, the thing that stood out is how down a lot of them are on Clark. Pretty lofty expectations for a program that 4 years ago I personally did not think would even be around now, and he absolutely should get the lion's share of the credit for that.
Kricket, rtb72, Ill flame liked this
By LU 57
The thing I got was how generally respectful of Liberty they are, as opposed to say ODU or JMU. Clearly, Birmingham is firmly in the Bible Belt, so there is that, but I really appreciated how they left out the cheap insults and kept the conversation about football.
Kricket, Liberty22, Ill flame and 2 others liked this
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
LU 57 wrote: October 3rd, 2021, 9:03 am The thing I got was how generally respectful of Liberty they are, as opposed to say ODU or JMU. Clearly, Birmingham is firmly in the Bible Belt, so there is that, but I really appreciated how they left out the cheap insults and kept the conversation about football.
I think they don't view themselves as a rival of ours, so they don't have the same animosity. Either way, it is nice to read gameday thread without vitriol being spewed left and right.
olldflame, UABlazin liked this
By lawrenceq
Registration Days Posts
Good win. I was worried about this one. My sister graduated from UAB so I enjoyed the back and forth with her. I should've made the trip to Birmingham for this game.
LU 57 liked this
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
As I was watching the game, I realized that part of the reason that we are a good second half team, particularly on defense, is that we have really built up a lot of depth on defense. It seems like we can afford to not have a starter in more than we have been able to ever before. Credit still goes to the coaching for bringing in the depth or adjustments or both.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Kricket wrote: October 3rd, 2021, 10:38 am As I was watching the game, I realized that part of the reason that we are a good second half team, particularly on defense, is that we have really built up a lot of depth on defense. It seems like we can afford to not have a starter in more than we have been able to ever before. Credit still goes to the coaching for bringing in the depth or adjustments or both.
Best example of that was FR Chris Boti, who has been buried on the depth chart, and may yet end up being redshirted if we get some people healthy, but with Henry, Khristian and Kendy all out, he played quite a bit and finished with 4 tackles .
Kricket liked this
By LibertyMan
flameshaw wrote: October 2nd, 2021, 8:46 pm Mack should never be close to the football in the red zone. Our defense has given up waaaaaay too many long runs. The refs suck big time. IMHO, they have missed at least two targeting fouls against UAB. We are fortunate to be tied at halftime.
Can't blame Mack for that one, unless you just want to. This is indicative of the poor run game performance from the O-line all season. Bodden was standing in the hole in the endzone instead of clearing a path and getting out of the way. Unreal! It was good to see some hard nose running out of Mack. Like him or not, we're going to need his grinding the rest of the way to take some pressure off of Willis. Mack should be grinding out 20+ carries per game. Backs can't really get going with a 3 back methodical rotation system and less than 10 carries per game. Maybe this will change moving forward, maybe not.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Yeah, the right guard completely misses his assignment, loses his balance, and meanders directly into the ball, which already cleared the goal btw. Should have been a score. But it doesn't negate the sloppy play of this O-line.
By Ill flame
Kricket wrote: October 3rd, 2021, 10:38 am As I was watching the game, I realized that part of the reason that we are a good second half team, particularly on defense, is that we have really built up a lot of depth on defense. It seems like we can afford to not have a starter in more than we have been able to ever before. Credit still goes to the coaching for bringing in the depth or adjustments or both.
This is what makes me optimistic about next season. We already have solid depth on that side of the ball and the guys we have coming in are more talented than the guys that are leaving. I don't see a reason why they won't be even better next year
rtb72 liked this
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
UABlazin wrote: October 3rd, 2021, 3:47 pm Congrats on the win. Liberty was better coached, with more talent, and just played harder. If the American decides to add 4 teams they'd be foolish to leave out the Flames.
Thanks for the kind words, UABlazin. As noted above, everyone over here appreciates when fan bases are respectful like your fan base seems to be. ODU's game thread against us was disgusting.

We would love to be conference mates in the AAC, but I wouldn't bank on it. There are a variety of reasons we aren't holding our breathe waiting for an invite, and none of it is sports related.

We all certainly wish you the best or luck this season and going forward. The stadium looked beautiful on TV, now just gotta win and fill it up!
LU 57, rtb72 liked this
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
UABlazin wrote: October 3rd, 2021, 3:47 pm Congrats on the win. Liberty was better coached, with more talent, and just played harder. If the American decides to add 4 teams they'd be foolish to leave out the Flames.
Maybe so. But would we be foolish to join?

From what I can tell, these guys will confirm th[…]

I do most of my reading on airplanes and trains th[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

Professional protestors? Let me guess funded by […]

Expect it when you least expect it. Studying it is[…]